So I had a Samsung Note 4 for a month, and...

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
...it was a truly awful experience. The screen and camera were great but that wasn't enough to keep me. For a premium device (over ?400 in the UK) with 3Gb RAM and a whopping battery, performance was pretty poor and battery life was naff. The quality of the OS and apps varied from good to woeful - I still can't believe there are no touch tone sounds on the phone app. Contacts were handled very badly, email stopped synching, car mode was impossible to escape from and it had an alarming tendency to launch random apps after being unlocked. I got to the point where I had installed a different email client, dialler, notification app, screen lock/unlock and launcher just to get somewhere approaching useable.

To get back on subject, I've swapped back to my trusty 640 - one quarter the price and a whole lot nicer and more reliable. I'm even using 10152 as its positives outweigh the annoyances. As soon as the 940 appears I'm there! :wink:

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
That was his subjective opinion, don't be so ignorant.
I happen to own a note 4 and I am an active member in several tech forums.
Never in any of those or in my personal experience have I seen or heard of such a "combo". I'm sorry, to me it just looks like the OP is trying too hard to prove a point.
Also, I had almost all of the previous Note models, it was the same for them.
Particularly the calendar and message apps, that are in fact way better in Samsung models.
Sorry if it sounded rude, it was not my intention. I do like WP, but there is nothing to be gained if the argument is made up.

Enviado de meu SM-N910C usando Tapatalk

Last edited:

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I happen to own a note 4 and I am an active member in several tech forums.
Never in any of those or in my personal experience have I seen or heard of such a "combo". I'm sorry, to me it just looks like the OP is trying too hard to prove a point.
Also, I had almost all of the previous Note models, it was the same for them.
Particularly the calendar and message apps, that are in fact way better in Samsung models.
Sorry if it sounded rude, it was not my intention. I do like WP, but there is nothing to be gained if the argument is made up.

Enviado de meu SM-N910C usando Tapatalk

There are no touch tones on the default phone dialler. The phone would routinely lose 30-40% overnight with nothing running. Exchange, Facebook, Gmail, Twitter and WhatsApp contacts did not merge properly, and the phone refused to display contact pictures. I used "Nine" for Exchange which was fine, because the built in mail app stopped synching for 24 hours, even after I deleted and re added the account. The only way out of Car Mode was a reboot. FWIW I dont like the new mail/calendar WP10 apps much either.
Sorry if your experience differs from mine, or if you've been offended in any way, but I do have better things to do than make up imaginary issues.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
...it was a truly awful experience. The screen and camera were great but that wasn't enough to keep me. For a premium device (over ?400 in the UK) with 3Gb RAM and a whopping battery, performance was pretty poor and battery life was naff. The quality of the OS and apps varied from good to woeful - I still can't believe there are no touch tone sounds on the phone app. Contacts were handled very badly, email stopped synching, car mode was impossible to escape from and it had an alarming tendency to launch random apps after being unlocked. I got to the point where I had installed a different email client, dialler, notification app, screen lock/unlock and launcher just to get somewhere approaching useable.

To get back on subject, I've swapped back to my trusty 640 - one quarter the price and a whole lot nicer and more reliable. I'm even using 10152 as its positives outweigh the annoyances. As soon as the 940 appears I'm there! :wink:

You must be really "Lucky" to have all those issues. Seems like you wanted it to suck in the first place, so it sucked. ?

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Er...no. I'd heard from colleagues at work about how great the Samsung/Android experience was. When we changed telecom providers it was an opportunity to switch over.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Er...no. I'd heard from colleagues at work about how great the Samsung/Android experience was. When we changed telecom providers it was an opportunity to switch over.

I was a little exaggerating, but sometimes the experience on those devices seem to be so extremely different for each user that you don't know what is correct. I think both sides are though.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Have to tried to post this issue on Android central?
Or you just posted here all the complaining.

You do know that WP users also face problems and they post here WC to resolve that issue.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I like this forum, and i like this community, but this is not the first time i come to such thread that in somehow we end up with a mid end phone being better than a very competitive high end device that sells waaay more than the entire WP eco system.

how on earth could someone reach this conclusion? at least, at least, say that the 1520 or 930 is better than the galaxy note 4.....

lets keep it real with these weird comparisons.

yes the 640 is a good device, but it is no way near the GN4.... next time when you want to give up a phone with this mentality, i will be more than happy to provide a swap for you.

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your helpful reply and yes I did post similar on Android Central. Why do you ask that?

Because I have way more bad with WP experience than you have with Note 4.
Already reset my phone 14 times since the time I bought.
Yet I am still with WP even after 2 years and you throw away a flagship just in a month for a budget phone.
It's like you haven't learn or tried to understand the phone.
Because the problem you were facing were not usual problem with that phone. Battery, performance everything is top notch.
Note series consider most advanced smartphone.

I think you should have give a little more time to that phone before throwing away.

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I like this forum, and i like this community, but this is not the first time i come to such thread that in somehow we end up with a mid end phone being better than a very competitive high end device that sells waaay more than the entire WP eco system.

how on earth could someone reach this conclusion? at least, at least, say that the 1520 or 930 is better than the galaxy note 4.....

lets keep it real with these weird comparisons.

yes the 640 is a good device, but it is no way near the GN4.... next time when you want to give up a phone with this mentality, i will be more than happy to provide a swap for you.

I didn't actually say the 640 is better than the Note 4. The Note 4 hardware, build, screen, camera are clearly a cut above the 640. The 640 doesn't have the S-Pen either. Let's not conveniently forget the huge price difference between the two. With the exception of the mysterious battery drain, the issues I experienced were really with the OS and apps that came on the phone.

I'll give you some examples. I added one Exchange account (where I keep all my contacts), one Gmail account, one Facebook account, one Twitter account and one Whatsapp account. Next I tried to add some Favourites to the phone/contacts. Searching for one colleagues name revealed three different separate entries, with no way in the search results to figure out which contact type was which. The only way to get the correct one on my Favourites was to add them all, then go through each one separately and delete the unwanted ones. When I add the same accounts on WP the contacts are all merged without any manual effort. On the Note, none of the contacts on the Favourites screen had any pictures, whereas if you expanded an individual contact the pic was there.

By default when I pressed the button to unlock the phone, I got only 2 seconds to start entering the PIN or I would lock again. Not long enough sometimes with my dumbly fingers. Installing a different lock screen app fixed that.

I have no idea why email stopped synching using the default maul app. I tried deleting and re adding the account but it stopped at the same point. This may have been something to do with my email account or data but I tried a bunch of other mail apps such as Nine and Touchdown that didn't have this problem.

I set up the phone to show me a notification on the lock screen when I got a new mail, but the success of this was 50/50. An alternative notification app behaved a lot better.

Battery consumption was all over the place. More than once I would unplug the phone at 100%, go to bed, wake up 7 hours later and find 30-40% gone. When checking the power usage details, one of the chief consumers was "Google Play Services". However, the OS refused to let me disable/uninstall this. I did manage to disable Google music/books etc in an attempt to save power, however these were reinstalled as an "update" later on. The Samsung Fast Charger was a real life saver.

The WP OS has its fair share of niggles and I'm not a fan of the new WP10 email and calendar apps in particular. I was really happy to finally get stuck in to Android, and yes there were workarounds for a lot of the problems I had, but for a Premium, expensive device - 3.5 times the price of the 640, for me the experience was frustrating. I'm sorry if that's hard to accept.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the Op should have spent more time with the Note, I probably would have exchanged it before dumping it myself... not arguing none of that. But maybe after spending that much money on a Premium device he expected it to "just work right" after setup. If his experience was as bad with the Note 4 as he claims, then the 640 would be a better phone to him, just cause it works like he wants, not because its a better device than the note 4. I'm not gonna bash him as I was in on the first Samsung galaxy farce (att captivate).. you know, where the GPS was not functional. I went through two of those cause I really liked the phone trying every fix on the net for it with no success before moving on to a Motorola atrix that "just worked". Very frustrating first experience I had with Samsung there and I have never owned another one....

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the Op should have spent more time with the Note, I probably would have exchanged it before dumping it myself... not arguing none of that. But maybe after spending that much money on a Premium device he expected it to "just work right" after setup. If his experience was as bad with the Note 4 as he claims, then the 640 would be a better phone to him, just cause it works like he wants, not because its a better device than the note 4. I'm not gonna bash him as I was in on the first Samsung galaxy farce (att captivate).. you know, where the GPS was not functional. I went through two of those cause I really liked the phone trying every fix on the net for it with no success before moving on to a Motorola atrix that "just worked". Very frustrating first experience I had with Samsung there and I have never owned another one....

FWIW, I haven't dumped it. It is sitting here on the desk, minus a SIM card, until I figure out what's next. One thing I know is that the carrier (EE in the UK) hasn't yet pushed out 5.1.1 so that may help.

You also raise a good point about Samsung, as I wonder if a different Android phone might have been better.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
That is a possibility, trying a different android phone.. you might be happier... or you could just have a bad phone itself and a replacement solve your problems.
I'll never do Samsung personally again though... I sat on that second captivate on a promise from Samsung to fix the problem until I could not exchange it for another phone... the Atrix was an "out of pocket" replacement for me and the captivate went to the kids for a "toy". A lot of people enjoy Samsung these days and swear by them but me personally I got burned so I avoid them....

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Once again, I get half way through reading an entire thread before getting bored and scrolling down to the bottom in order to add my own opinions.
I think the OP had every right to post this, as he was describing how, for him, the Lumia 640 is a better phone than the Note 4. That doesn't mean it's a better phone overall, but that just for his uses the Lumia 640 is better.
Everyone needs a phone for different reasons, and the majority of people have no true use for a high-end phone like the Note 4, as they'll never use it to its full potential. For the majority of people, a phone like the Lumia 640 actually works better, because it can do everything they need it too while costing a quarter of the price of the Note 4.
The OP had problems with the Note 4 and Samsung's TouchWiz UI (something I can understand) and with what he perceived as hardware issues. He went to a Lumia 640 and found that it fit his needs better. Just because your opinion doesn't agree with his does not mean he's wrong.

Please label all hate mail "Die, Scum, Die" so I can ignore it accordingly. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2