Looking Back to Windows Phone After Switched to Samsung Galaxy S6

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
When the W10 Mobile bridge (Project Astoria) is completed, and developers port their apps over, we will be in a better situation, but until then, I have to supplement some stuff on the web, which isn't a huge deal, just annoying.

My biggest issue is when I'm at a trade show, or museum, or event, and to participate, you have to download an app, and that app is only available on IOS or Android. That needs to change, and hopefully Windows 10's adoption rate will help to get those apps onto Windows 10 Mobile.

I now use a HTC One M9 as a temporary phone because I gave my 1520 away thinking that the 950XL was releasing on Oct 6. (Hindsight is 20/20) I find the UI archaic and the battery life abysmal. Not to mention 'insert service name here' has stopped responding issues. Can't fault HTC much for the battery, it has a lot to do with the OS and the first generation 810 chip, but color me unimpressed. When I had Astoria on my 1520, I was able to supplement a couple of apps that I wanted. Hopefully I can get back the ecosystem in the 950XL with Astoria soon..

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Can you provide a link to where you read this? I'd like to see the evidence behind this.

When I was looking to root an S6 edge back in the summer (I've since returned the device) I came across a few sites that said rooting would void your warranty via tripping a KNOX counter. A couple sites suggested there was a fuse that would basically blow and indicate the KNOX counter had been tripped. I don't recall the sites I was looking at, but there does seem to be a workaround using a ping pong method, but then again this site says don't update to 5.1.1 if you ever want to root without tripping the KNOX warranty. [ROOT] PingPongRoot ***S6 & S6 Edge Root?€? | Samsung Galaxy S6 | XDA Forums Then again, that post may be outdated and there may be a workaround for 5.1.1.

One of the reasons I backed away from android. Too much information online to determine what was fact or fiction, didn't like the Samsung stuff, and didn't want to take the risk.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
There are many more disadvantages to buying apple phones than advantages. I have used them all and windows phone by far is the best by a long shot, app availability aside. Windows phone is just more reliable, hardware is better, and your not classified as a ****** using one....unlike apple.
hardware is better?? when was the last time you ran a benchmark app? for all aspectsL CPU,RAM,Flash and Graphics...let's at least keep things realistic. At the moment the S6 Edge+ and Iphone 6S have scored the best in Geekbench 3 and 3dMark

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
the best way to try any platform is to spend some time with a device with it. for some even a few minutes in a store is enough. Every person has it's own preferences, desires, tastes...I for one like IOS and WP 8.1, I am waiting for 10 to be more in one place in respect of the design, maybe after TH2 next year win 10 on the phones will be more polished.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
hardware is better?? when was the last time you ran a benchmark app? for all aspectsL CPU,RAM,Flash and Graphics...let's at least keep things realistic. At the moment the S6 Edge+ and Iphone 6S have scored the best in Geekbench 3 and 3dMark

Since when are benchmarks used as a function of a phone? Since when does benchmark say how well built a piece of hardware is? Benchmarks are the same as light meters for testing lighting instead of actually turing on the lights inn front of your face, Benchmarks are synthetic. A useless tool to spout numbers.

Grab two phones and feel them and see how they work. I know that my 2 year old 1020 is smoother, takes better still images and is overall better in user experience than the new s6 or edge. Had both side by side. Samsung may benchmark better, however touchwiz is a sloppy mess and hampers all that horsepower down to a screeching halt. IPhone, that's just a POS with a great marketing team.

Keep the benchmarks to what they really are. Ways to prove a phone runs a benchmark faster.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm sure my wife's S6 Active will beat my 930 on benchmarks, but my 930 feels faster and doesn't have all the stutters and hiccups her phone has. The 930 has 2 year old hardware and doesn't require a restart every day like she's having to do with her Android. Heck, she's been debating switching back to her 830 which she feels runs better.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When I was looking to root an S6 edge back in the summer (I've since returned the device) I came across a few sites that said rooting would void your warranty via tripping a KNOX counter. A couple sites suggested there was a fuse that would basically blow and indicate the KNOX counter had been tripped. I don't recall the sites I was looking at, but there does seem to be a workaround using a ping pong method, but then again this site says don't update to 5.1.1 if you ever want to root without tripping the KNOX warranty. [ROOT] PingPongRoot ***S6 & S6 Edge Root… | Samsung Galaxy S6 | XDA Forums Then again, that post may be outdated and there may be a workaround for 5.1.1.

One of the reasons I backed away from android. Too much information online to determine what was fact or fiction, didn't like the Samsung stuff, and didn't want to take the risk.
Another thing to keep in mind is that Samsung Pay and Android Pay will not work on rooted devices.

murtaza_p

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
i knew my beloved L1020 was aging, with my use i had to charge it almost three to four times a day, the battery was one of the main concerns , not apps. While i loved the photo quality of the L1020 i just wished that windows 8.1 kept up with it, i was mainly frustrated with the "loading and resuming" screens. Swapped for the LG G4 as its the only phone which i can compare it with the L1020's camera, the color reproduction is spot on with the "color spectrum sensor" and the F.1.8Lense allows more light, trust me the camera is the first thing i see on the phone before picking one up and why din i opt for the L930? cause well 1). the photo quality wasn't at par with the G4 and 2). why would i invest in the old flagship. while i may be the only one in my city who has booked the L950XL am i excited for it? sure why not as there are somethings i wished my LG G4 could do such as an unified mailbox, better photo editing options (Lumia creative studio). Will i make the swap to the L950XL when i get a call from Microsoft India? i really don't know , 1). Microsoft really needs to price this right, if its above the INR 40k bracket i really don't see Microsoft doing so well with the phone here , i got the G4 for INR 36K which is superbly priced for its specs. 2). i really don't know if microsoft can really eliminate the "loading..." and resuming bug which plagues WP handsets.
All in all ive always loved the "no nonsense " motto of WP after having owned a L720 then the L1020, but sometimes i feel the OS (and the handsets) do need to keep up with the rest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos