Avoiding google on android

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Had an iphone 5 for a while to run an app but the screen is too small so considering a cheap larger screen android device to run this one work related app but I wonder if I can use an android phone without connecting to google services? I'll be sideloading the app so don't need to sign into the store and the only other functionality will be phone calls, is it possible? Thanks.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Had an iphone 5 for a while to run an app but the screen is too small so considering a cheap larger screen android device to run this one work related app but I wonder if I can use an android phone without connecting to google services? I'll be sideloading the app so don't need to sign into the store and the only other functionality will be phone calls, is it possible? Thanks.

Unsure why this went unanswered, so here you are.

Yes, it's possible.

1) Don't use a google account.
2) Don't enable the backup feature.
3) Root the phone
4) Uninstall all Google Apps
5) Install CyanogenMod
6) Use some other app store.

Done

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem that arises is that Google Play Services are required for many an app.

Like Snapchat, Yik Yak, etc.
Sometimes Google Maps can limp along without it depending on version (see Crackberry and their GPS-less efforts)

But you'll probably be able to live with sideloading, some app stores although it may be awkward, given that the Play Store is the go-to stop for most places. I felt cramped with Amazon's on BB10.

adkrish22290

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site

I think it's better you don't go for Lagdroid and stay with your iPhone (or probably upgrade it to the iPhone 6 which has a bigger screen and will solve your screen size issues).

No doubt, as @StaticXCC said, the Lagdroid phone can be rooted, but I won't suggest it unless you are technically skilled enough to do it (rooting isn't so easy) and you understand the potential consequences (lack of security, hardware and performance issues and possible bricking of the device).

Also, even if the apps are downloaded from a third-party app store or sideloaded through an apk file, most Lagdroid apps require Scroogle services to operate properly. And I am not very convinced that these third-party app stores are secure enough.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Since I am using my rooted note 1 right now...I know, I know. its a horrible experience. Not in the OS functionality, but In the amount of freeze ups, restarts etc. With a custom 4.4.4 rom loaded the ole note one is faster than it ever was with stock touchwiz. However, the sheer amount of freeze ups has me screaming. That being said, the only google services I use is the play store. Everything else is MS. Where I am using a custom rom, I opted for the lite Gapps which consists of the play store, and not much else. perfect!

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have no choice at the moment. I had my 1020 and the screen met an untimely death again, so I am waiting for a new one to arrive. I was rooting my old note and G2X as I was just playing around with them as I had no intention of using them as a daily driver again. So hence the reason for the rooting and custom roms. but, with stock roms they were so slow and laggy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss