02-17-2017 04:46 AM
101 12345
tools
    Night Mode makes the Glance screen more readable at night, and Quiet Mode customizes how calls and notifications are dealt with, both are customizable in Settings (I think it’s still there on Windows 10 Mobile). You might be able to toggle on and off Night Mode in the Quick Action pull down menu.
    It seems like BB10's Bedside mode was a culmination of these two features. Or rather the Sound Profile settings toggle was equivalent to Quiet Mode, and their Beside mode combined Quiet Mode and Night mode. Since Night Mode doesn't seem to do much for device control, just display, I probably won't use it much.

I don’t know if you can sync photos and videos from One Drive to your phone’s SD card, but there is the Windows Phone desktop app, it’s not as robust as BB Link, but not near as cranky, you can sync photos/videos with it.
    I've looked at the Phone Companion app and it doesn't seem to do the wireless syncing BB Link did, so I think I am probably out of luck with syncing photos to my device automatically and w/o a USB cable.

I think you are talking about the pull down Notification + Action center, I know W10M has expanded on this, and I think you still go to Settings to manage it.
    Yes I am talking about the Notification + Action center. There doesn't appear to be a way to control the ordering or what's listed in the full action menu. You have some limited control over what is shown in the 4 item mini action menu, but the action center is not as customizable as BB10 which is disappointing.

I WISH WE HAD BB HUB! The thing I do is use the notification ability of the live tiles and I have Messaging, the phone app, Calendar, and email apps at the top of my Start Menu, so that way, no matter what I’m doing, I can hit the center windows icon on the bottom navigation buttons, and I can see what’s going on.
    I can certainly rely on the live tiles for notifications of new items but switching between all of those apps, and then going back to manually close them when I am done, is tedious and as "flowing" as the Hub on BB10. A co-worker of mine is running a newer BETA of the Outlook app and says you can at least combine two mailboxes into one view, but everything else is still in its own separate app. That's a step in the right direction at least.

On 8.1 it’s an option in the 3 dot expansion menu at the bottom right, hopefully they still have month view in W10M.
    It's not an option on the stock Win 10 Calendar app. However my same co-worker as above is running a newer BETA of the Calendar app and has a month view. So at least they are addressing that. :)

Because MS is going so cloud connected, I doubt it. OneDrive is connected through your Outlook account, and it sounds like you use OneDrive, so you need it.
    My OneDrive is tied to my Live ID logon, not my Outlook.com mailbox. The Outlook.com mailbox is in turn tied to my Live ID, but it would be incorrect to state my OneDrive is tied to my Outlook.com mailbox. It is even broken out that way on the "YOUR EMAIL AND ACCOUNTS" page where my Microsoft (Live ID) account is listed separately from my Outlook.com mailbox.
    Therefore I'm not clear why I am forced to sync this mailbox and calendar on my phone, to the point where I can't remove it but I can turn off the display of the calendar and syncing of the email (I'm not sure if I can do the same for contacts). I appreciate that I am probably the odd man out here in this gripe/complaint, but I don't use my Outlook.com mailbox for anything and would rather not have resources wasted on referencing/maintaining it. I will see if someone on the insider program can request this as a feature but I am sure it will be shot down. :)

So other than missing the Hub and wishing the calendar app had some additional features, all in all the transition from BB10 wasn't that bad. Now if I can just get that Android emulator working on this phone like I did on my BB10. :)
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    12-10-2015 12:00 PM
    Now if I can just get that Android emulator working on this phone like I did on my BB10. :)
    MS WAS working on this, last word is they dropped it.
    12-10-2015 09:43 PM
    The Outlook and Calendaring update that came through last night added a Month view to the Calendar app. While its not as informative as the view on my BB10, it's a step forward I'm the right direction so I will take it.☺
    12-12-2015 10:10 AM
    The Outlook and Calendaring update that came through last night added a Month view to the Calendar app. While its not as informative as the view on my BB10, it's a step forward I'm the right direction so I will take it.☺
    Any changes in Outlook?
    12-12-2015 06:46 PM
    This is a great thread!

I have used BlackBerry (legacy and BB10), Windows, Android, and iOS phones as my daily driver at one point or another. While I can appreciate the unique strengths of each, I have also been able to see the weaknesses. For a long time, I've been coming back to BlackBerry because it has been the platform with weaknesses I could tolerate the most.

Now that BB10 is going away (many BB fans are still in denial about this), I've taken the opportunity to reevaluate my mobile phone situation altogether. When the Priv was first officially announced, I got my hands on a Moto G 2nd Gen to give Android another shot. I found it to be usable, but I just cannot get excited about Android for many reasons (I won't elaborate, as the fact that we are all here means we probably all know the reasons).

Currently, I am using a basic phone as my daily driver. You might call it "smartphone detox". I wanted to see just how dependent on a smartphone I've become and see if I could stand going back to basics. Thus far, I've found that I can actually get by with a basic cell phone. There are computers and mobile devices all around me at work and home, so if I absolutely must check my email, get on social media, etc. I am still able to do so pretty easily. But now it's on my terms, not because a device in my pocket beeped/vibrated. But I digress.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll use a basic phone before I get the itch to go back to a smartphone. But if and when I do, I'm seriously looking at a Windows phone. And I'm actually not terribly picky on Windows 10 mobile vs Windows Phone 8.1. I have a Lumia 822 that I'm using as a "PDA" right now and I'm actually quite happy with its features and performance. After proving that I can get by with just texting and phone calls, the so-called "app gap" is a non-issue for me.

The live tile interface has always been appealing to me. I love that the icons can also be widgets and that you can change their size. And the ability to pin things to the home screen is, quite frankly, AWESOME. No other mobile OS has this functionality and it is powerful. For example, the Netflix show I'm currently binge watching? I pinned a shortcut to it so that I don't have to open Netflix and look at my recently watched shows or my queue to find it. That OneDrive folder that I use a lot? Pinned it. That Pandora station I love? Pinned it. Such a great feature.

What really intrigues me about Windows 10 mobile is Continuum. For the longest time, I have dreamed of a smartphone that could support both a mobile and a desktop environment. I know that Continuum still has some kinks to work out and has limited app support right now, but it has such amazing potential. If Continuum supported Remote Desktop, for example, that would be a game-changer for geeks like me and IT professionals.

I know that, like BlackBerry, Microsoft has a history of letting untapped potential go to waste. Unfortunately, BlackBerry has had to abandon its own OS to try to stay in the handset business. I can't see how this is a good thing for them or for the smartphone industry as a whole. Competition is good. Consumers always benefit when there are more choices. So I really hope Microsoft can pull this off and that Windows 10 mobile catches on enough to stick around.

If and when I jump back to a smartphone, I'll be looking very seriously at a Lumia 950 or 950 XL.

Of course, I still have a BlackBerry Q10 and I may just use it until it is unusable. ;)
    12-12-2015 10:16 PM
    What really intrigues me about Windows 10 mobile is Continuum. For the longest time, I have dreamed of a smartphone that could support both a mobile and a desktop environment. I know that Continuum still has some kinks to work out and has limited app support right now, but it has such amazing potential. If Continuum supported Remote Desktop, for example, that would be a game-changer for geeks like me and IT professionals.
    Newfangled, good to hear from you again! The whole Android-Berry thing is polarizing the BlackBerry fan base, even if the double typing fiasco didn't happen, the current situation would have pushed me to Windows Mobile.
    Windows phone can do remote desktop, so I don't know why it wouldn't work through Continuum.

PS;
    http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...ersal-app-soon
    Last edited by SteveNoza; 12-14-2015 at 10:50 PM.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    12-13-2015 03:02 AM
    Blackberry has been my only Smartphone...until now. I ported one of my VZW numbers over to ATT on Nov. 20, picked up the Lumia 950, and have to say I like this device a lot! BB10 is a sinking ship and there is no way I'm getting an Android or iPhone.

When I have more time I'll go into this in more depth as there are a few things I miss that were on BB but will say to anybody looking to move from Blackberry to a new Lumia device....just do it!
    12-13-2015 09:25 AM
    Any changes in Outlook?
    Yes, I can link inboxes now. However this isn't really useful if I can't tell the difference between accounts like I could in the BB10 hub. There I could color code each account so I could quickly see which mailbox had received the message. With this inbox linking all the email is merged together and I can't tell easily which account was used. Microsoft has some work to do in this area.
    fanatical likes this.
    12-13-2015 09:28 AM
    Blackberry has been my only Smartphone...until now. I ported one of my VZW numbers over to ATT on Nov. 20, picked up the Lumia 950, and have to say I like this device a lot! BB10 is a sinking ship and there is no way I'm getting an Android or iPhone.

When I have more time I'll go into this in more depth as there are a few things I miss that were on BB but will say to anybody looking to move from Blackberry to a new Lumia device....just do it!
    I too was a BB10 devotee, but with their recent understandable yet regrettable platform change, I too was left looking for a new home. Windows Mobile 10 has a ways to go, it is a decent substitute for what I had previously.
    Last edited by HotFix; 12-13-2015 at 08:42 PM.
    HeyCori likes this.
    12-13-2015 09:40 AM
    Yes, I can link inboxes now. However this isn't really useful if I can't tell the difference between accounts like I could in the BB10 hub. There I could color code each account so I could quickly see which mailbox had received the message. With this inbox linking all the email is merged together and I can't tell easily which account was used. Microsoft has some work to do in this area.
    Agreed, 8.1 can do a unified inbox, but I ended up doing it separate so I could have different notifications for each account. One thing I would like is being able to do custom notifications for specific folders, BB 10 hub couldn't do this (at least when I left). I'd love to see a totally integrated through the OS MS Outlook that would work like the BB Hub, like how OneNote is used today.
    HotFix and HeyCori like this.
    12-13-2015 09:50 AM
    there are a few things I miss that were on BB
    I was a BB user since the 7290 up to the Q10. There are things I miss about BB pretty much every day.
    Last edited by SteveNoza; 12-14-2015 at 11:20 PM.
    12-14-2015 10:59 PM
    Newfangled, good to hear from you again! The whole Android-Berry thing is polarizing the BlackBerry fan base, even if the double typing fiasco didn't happen, the current situation would have pushed me to Windows Mobile.
    Windows phone can do remote desktop, so I don't know why it wouldn't work through Continuum.

PS;
    Microsoft confirms Remote Desktop Universal app with Continuum is coming soon | Windows Central
    Thanks!

And I read about remote desktop coming to Continuum this morning! I'm really excited about this. It may win me (back) over to Windows phones.
    12-15-2015 03:24 PM
    is there a "personal dictionary' type function in WP10? i see that windows learns what you type and automates this somewhat, but i've also seen some references to people adding their own words while they are typing, but i can't seem to find that. i think most times i've seen this, ppl reference wp8/8/1
    12-17-2015 08:56 AM
    is there a "personal dictionary' type function in WP10? i see that windows learns what you type and automates this somewhat, but i've also seen some references to people adding their own words while they are typing, but i can't seem to find that. i think most times i've seen this, ppl reference wp8/8/1
    nevermind...i figured it out. the trick was to put the cursor in front of the new word. once there, it shows in the predictive text line with a '+' in front of it, and clicking that adds the word.
    12-17-2015 09:08 AM
    nevermind...i figured it out. the trick was to put the cursor in front of the new word. once there, it shows in the predictive text line with a '+' in front of it, and clicking that adds the word.
    In 8.1, as you type, if the phone doesn't recognize a word, it underlines it with a red squiggly line. Tap the word, it will highlight it and the word will appear on the word suggest ribbon below with the + in front of it. Tapping on the +word on the ribbon will add it to the dictionary.
    12-17-2015 09:30 PM
    so....is there a way to do a local backup on wp10? i'm aware that i can copy my data locally when plugging into my pc. But in reference to phone settings, sms, contacts, apps, etc, i only see an option to backup to onedrive, but would prefer a local backup.
    12-27-2015 05:39 PM
    Not that I know of. I gave up on local backup with BB10.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-27-2015 09:57 PM
    okay...I guess the cloud is all the buzz right now, but i don't want to give them all my data! oh well. thx! hopefully someone can make an app for this type of functionality.

the more i use wp, the less i'm feeling it is that much different than android, excluding apps of course. i just don't trust google. but now i'm asking myself, can i trust microsoft?
    12-28-2015 01:27 PM
    okay...I guess the cloud is all the buzz right now, but i don't want to give them all my data! oh well. thx! hopefully someone can make an app for this type of functionality.

the more i use wp, the less i'm feeling it is that much different than android, excluding apps of course. i just don't trust google. but now i'm asking myself, can i trust microsoft?
    Even though MS has access to your data, their business models are different, Google for the most part, doesn't charge for their services because they data mine your info. MS charges for most of their services, so no need for extensive data mining.
    When I transitioned from local backup (BBOS) to cloud backup (BB10), I started using LastPass, besides being a password keeper, it also has secure notes, where I store high value info. LastPass uses encryption, so it should be as secure as I need. I let MS handle contacts, calendars and general info.
    But ultimately, an encrypted local backup on a removable storage would be the most secure thing to do, I don't do it as I don't have that valuable of data.
    12-28-2015 10:18 PM
    Do any of you have the Lumia 1520? I'm seriously looking into getting one, as it's still got decent specs and features compared to more recent phones. I know it will eventually get Windows 10. Is Continuum reserved for newer devices only, or has there been any hint that it might be available on older Lumias?

Anything I should be wary of about the 1520? Should I go for a different model?

I'd go for a 950, but the price is still too high for me.
    01-03-2016 02:18 PM
    Do any of you have the Lumia 1520? I'm seriously looking into getting one, as it's still got decent specs and features compared to more recent phones. I know it will eventually get Windows 10. Is Continuum reserved for newer devices only, or has there been any hint that it might be available on older Lumias?

Anything I should be wary of about the 1520? Should I go for a different model?

I'd go for a 950, but the price is still too high for me.
    I have the 1520. Its a pretty good phone and no, it wont get continuum.
    Browse for phantom touch before buy one, its a major peoblem you could find.
    01-03-2016 02:29 PM
    I currently have a Passport, and I love it - it's the keyboard/touchpad for my Surface 3. But I'm already looking towards my next phone, which will most likely be a Win10 device. I'm very much looking forward to universal apps, but what about apps that do not have a desktop equivalent? Specifically, I use Starbucks and Second Cup apps (both Android) to pay for my coffee addiction, and both work well on my Passport - for now. However, as these apps get updated, and the Runtime on BB10 remains stuck at 4.3, I expect these apps to eventually stop working.

Yes, I can take screenshots of the barcodes and scan them for payment, but it's a hassle to also log onto the website to check the $ available. Is MS making any headway into getting these payments apps working on its phones? The same goes for banking apps - photo deposit is an app-only feature that is not available on web apps.

Thanks in advance for the help, I expect to become a more frequent visitor here.
    01-04-2016 10:53 AM
    I have a question for HotFix: I'm in the same situation as you, with a Live ID to log onto MS devices, an Outlook.com account as a placeholder, a personal OneDrive account that syncs across all my devices, including my Passport, and a paid Exchange account (with its own OneDrive) that I use for email, calendar and contacts.

So far from having a fully integrated account, I am forced to use a disjointed combination of business and personal accounts and storage locations. The Exchange OneDrive is currently not usable for me, as I can't access it as a folder in File Explorer, and it doesn't sync with the Passport.

Or is it possible to integrate the personal and Exchange accounts? Is it at least possible with the Windows phone? Can I get rid of my Live ID and use Exchange only to log onto my devices and sync across them?

I understand security issues that keep Exchange accounts better protected, but damn, the user experience shouldn't suffer that much.
    01-04-2016 11:09 AM
    I've got a question please? (Passport Refugee > 950XL).

Back on BlackBerry 10, after a software update you would always get 1-2 days of major battery burn as the OS indexed everything (again). Is this the case with Windows 10 Phone? Sorry if it's a stupid question, couldn't find anything searching forums / Google.

P.s. Absolutely loving WP10/950XL so far!
    03-10-2016 10:51 AM
    I've got a question please? (Passport Refugee > 950XL).

Back on BlackBerry 10, after a software update you would always get 1-2 days of major battery burn as the OS indexed everything (again). Is this the case with Windows 10 Phone? Sorry if it's a stupid question, couldn't find anything searching forums / Google.

P.s. Absolutely loving WP10/950XL so far!
    We do see it sometimes with a new device especially since we're playing with it a lot.

But for most updates I don't think we see that.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-2016 03:47 PM
101 12345