02-17-2017 04:46 AM
101 ... 2345
tools
    I've got a question please? (Passport Refugee > 950XL).

Back on BlackBerry 10, after a software update you would always get 1-2 days of major battery burn as the OS indexed everything (again). Is this the case with Windows 10 Phone? Sorry if it's a stupid question, couldn't find anything searching forums / Google.

P.s. Absolutely loving WP10/950XL so far!
    I followed nearly the same path as you (Passport>640XL>950XL) so first, welcome! And like you, I really like WP10! To me, it's similar to BB10, so I felt the transition was fairly easy, except for saying goodbye to a platform I've used for eight years.
    As far as the familiar battery drain after loading an OS update, I haven't noticed it as I did with all my BB's. Of course, I can't put this phone down, (LOL) but even though the 950XL battery is slightly smaller than the Passport's, it really holds up well.
    03-12-2016 03:04 PM
    I followed nearly the same path as you (Passport>640XL>950XL) so first, welcome! And like you, I really like WP10! To me, it's similar to BB10, so I felt the transition was fairly easy, except for saying goodbye to a platform I've used for eight years.
    As far as the familiar battery drain after loading an OS update, I haven't noticed it as I did with all my BB's. Of course, I can't put this phone down, (LOL) but even though the 950XL battery is slightly smaller than the Passport's, it really holds up well.
    Hey!

Yeah I'm generally finding the same with the 950XL so far. I'm having trouble putting it down but during the working day it's generally getting me as far as my Passport got me.

I guess the only thing I've noticed since coming here is, well, BB10 was focused on messaging and e-mail (I.e. BlackBerry Hub). Because of how WP works, I'd say I'm checking my emails less than I did on my Passport.

Also, coming from BB10, I have to admit there really isn't much of an App-Gap like you find reviewers complaining about. Found everything I could possibly need plus more on this OS :)

Cortana is awesome. On BlackBerry maps I would have to enter a UK postcode in a certain way, with Cortana, I just say "Hey Cortana, take me to Devonshire Infant School", it's rather magical :)
    Laura Knotek and Azensun like this.
    03-13-2016 01:30 AM
    Ole, never this thread before when I was on win10
    10-23-2016 03:30 PM
    So been on my Lumia 650 for a few days now. Was quite excited as I was setting it up, really seemed to be a good fit however as I actually started using the thing.... excitement has turned to disappointment.

Generally, I'm just finding that the OS is half baked. It almost seems as though this is MS's first attempt at a phone OS. Some very basic functionality is missing, things I'd always taken for granted on my Blackberry.

I had real issues with mail to start. Really didn't like that my accounts were all sitting in separate inboxes. Finally found the setting to link these which is great, however there is no way to differentiate the accounts, or simply filter from one account to the other. This is 2 click in BB10. In MS Id have to unlick then link again. Every email in the inbox has a nice colored bar beside it, why cant it use a different color for each account, kinda like the MS calendar does?

Notifications are terrible in general. Yes I knew I would miss my flashing LED, but didnt realize how much. Ive also found at time I dont get a notification at all, and mail some times take 10 to 15 minutes to arrive, yet my BB sitting right beside it gets them instantly. What about Voice mail ? am I missing something ? I dont seems to get any notification of a new VM. Just of a missed call. Can I enable visual voice mail ? calling into my voice mail just seems so archaic lol
    On my BB, I was able to click a phone # in someones email signature to have the phone dial the number. This doesnt appear to be the case in windows phone.

Bluetooth, not stable. Paired to car with no issues, but doesnt always work. At first Id thought it was because it had gone into battery saving mode or something, but no. Ive had it fail on near full charge, and have had to reboot to get it working.
    App support, well sorry to say it worse than on BB.. and Im talking BB native apps, not side loaded android apps 

Keyboard is just OK. Im sure Ill get better with it, and it will possibly learn my typing as the BB keyboard does, however Im somewhat annoyed that it isnt smart enough to switch to a 4 line KB (with numbers) when into certain fields, such as postal code, password etc.

Other than that Ive just found a hand full of dumb things that dont work the way they should. Dead or incorrect help screens, the tutorial or getting started app keeps telling me I have to connect to the internet lol.

On the plus side. Cortana and the voice dictation seem to work very well.

Im gonna play with it a couple more days, see if I can get it to an acceptable state, but my gut feeling is, Ill be sending shiny new windows phone back, and throwing my sim back in my 3 year old Z30 :/
    10-28-2016 12:04 AM
    If it weren't for the epic fail of my Q10 keyboard, I would have stayed with BlackBerry because of these reasons. Unfortunately, BlackBerry has given up on BB10, I had to go somewhere.
    10-28-2016 07:58 AM
    If you use a Microsoft account (Hotmail, outlook, ect) it has push email on Windows Phone.
    10-28-2016 08:09 AM
    Glad to see this thread resurrected!

I have flirted with both iOS and Android since I last posted, but I am still clinging to my BlackBerry Q10 at the moment. I know it's only a matter of time before I need to move on from BB10, though. BlackBerry is no longer producing or designing their own hardware, so unless a third party is crazy enough to license BB10 and put it on their own phones, it's done (promised OS maintenance updates notwithstanding).

I am taking a serious look at the BlackBerry PRIV, but their DTEK line doesn't interest me as much because, frankly, they look like every other Android phone out there.

I recently used an iPhone SE for a month, but it quickly bored me and, again, it looks like every other iPhone 5/5S/SE out there.

The contrarian in me wants the phone I use to stand out in a crowd!

Although it is far out of my price range, I'm VERY intrigued by the HP Elite x3. I'm also still considering the Lumia 950.

I know Windows 10 Mobile and Continuum have a long way to go, but the platform is still closer to my ideal convergence setup than Android or iOS.

I'm still trying to decide whether now is the right time to revisit a Windows phone, or if I should just resign myself to my Android fate.
    SteveNoza likes this.
    10-28-2016 02:27 PM
    Actually, the Acer Liquid Jade Primo bundle currently going for $449 - which includes the phone, dock, and wireless keyboard and mouse - looks really tempting...
    10-28-2016 04:22 PM
    I got my hands on a Lumia 950 and WOW...I am very impressed!

I posted my first impressions here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...tm#post3590158
    Laura Knotek and SteveNoza like this.
    11-11-2016 12:32 PM
    Here is another one moving from BB10. Less than 24 hours with W10 and first impressions are good. I mainly miss the Blackberry Hub, the gestures of my old phone, and at the beginning the notifications LED, but you know what? I was kind of slave of my emails, all time checking the light on the phone!, now I am free of that.

Best regards!
    12-07-2016 08:40 AM
    Great thread! Been BB forever, but as we all know, forever is going to end. I recognize some other Crackberrians here. Pretty sure I'm going to jump on the WM ship within the next year. Looks like an intelligent and profession community also. Perfect for a BB10 refugee.

Are there newer WM devices with a PKB? The Z10 was my first and last phone with a VKB. Thought I was good with it until I got the Passport. Don't want to go back. I'm currently ATT and they only offer Lumia 950 and HTC One. I would considered an outright purchase for a high end device.

Is the Mireo Genius Map app available for WM? If not, then a comparable off line map app?

Thanks for this thread. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I educate myself in Windows Central.
    chris_t and Player Piano like this.
    12-31-2016 04:43 AM
    Another BB refugee here :)

Curve, Bold, Z10, Passport. One year ago sold my Passport, bought a Blu Win Hd LTE and a Huawei P8 Lite. Sold the BLU, and went Android for half an year. A friend of mine wanted to get rid of a mint condition 830 so here I am :)

Must admit, I like more W10 than Android, and I still miss some old BB10 features, but I'm here to stay. Wanted to upgrade to 950XL, but decided to wait until Idol 4S goes global or other OEM launches a W10 phone.

Regarding the map apps, haven't try to find Mireo, yet the MSFT Maps is very good. Still a bit below the Android version of Here, but I've managed to find my way around Prague and Vienna, driving, walking and transit too.

Happy New Year all!
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    12-31-2016 06:55 AM
    OMG, this sounds like home. My brother has two BlackBerry devices,(looking to get a third). Fighting with the bottom dropping out of BB10 and playing with my Windows Phone. Refuses to go to IOS or Android. I don't know what we're going to do after this year. Dixie cup and waxed string?
    chris_t likes this.
    12-31-2016 08:34 AM
    OMG, this sounds like home. My brother has two BlackBerry devices,(looking to get a third). Fighting with the bottom dropping out of BB10 and playing with my Windows Phone. Refuses to go to IOS or Android. I don't know what we're going to do after this year. Dixie cup and waxed string?
    Call me biased since I own a Priv and all but BlackBerry's Android offerings are rather nice. It's got some nice things from BB10 although I admit no major platform has really captured that magic completely.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-31-2016 03:34 PM
    Regarding the map apps, haven't try to find Mireo, yet the MSFT Maps is very good. Still a bit below the Android version of Here, but I've managed to find my way around Prague and Vienna, driving, walking and transit too
    Thanks for the response. Are the MS maps usable offline or do they require a data connection?
    chris_t likes this.
    01-01-2017 06:11 AM
    Am I correct in assuming OneNote, OneDrive, MS office, and Skype all work flawlessly on WM10? There are BB10 apps for these but they don't function to full potential.
    01-01-2017 06:13 AM
    Thanks for the response. Are the MS maps usable offline or do they require a data connection?
    Am I correct in assuming OneNote, OneDrive, MS office, and Skype all work flawlessly on WM10? There are BB10 apps for these but they don't function to full potential.
    Maps work offline with prior downloaded maps for driving and walking. You would of course need an online connection for traffic info and also for transit info. Or at least I wasn't able to use transit off line.

OneDrive/Note, Office, like a charm. I use Skype Preview and it's ok-ish, maybe a little slow when opening, but that might have smth to do with my old gen phone, the 830 is not the best W10 phoje around :) Yet, the notifications are coming thru extremely fast. As a matter of fact, both Skype messagges and outlook.com sync faster on my phone than on a W10 laptop with Office 365.
    01-01-2017 09:09 AM
    Great to hear about the maps. Understandable about live traffic and all that because that requires frequent communication back and fourth instead of a one way signal with GPS. Skype preview is relatively new as far as I understand. It showed up on my Thinkpad after a Win10 update recently. Didn't now it was there until someone called me on Skype while my desktop app was off. Played with it a bit but it is essentially, a light version, of the desktop app. I like the dark theme though. Thanks for the confirmation about the other MS products.

So could I play Halo 5 on a WM10 device? :)
    01-01-2017 11:52 AM
    Are there newer WM devices with a PKB? The Z10 was my first and last phone with a VKB. Thought I was good with it until I got the Passport. Don't want to go back.
    There's been a rumor of a PKB windows phone, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. Also, some rumors of a keyboard cover for the upcoming Surface phone, we should see leaks of this phone soon. The other question is would they have all the cool BlackBerry shortcuts, ect?
    01-01-2017 10:46 PM
    There's been a rumor of a PKB windows phone, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it. Also, some rumors of a keyboard cover for the upcoming Surface phone, we should see leaks of this phone soon. The other question is would they have all the cool BlackBerry shortcuts, ect?
    Been reading a bit about the Surface phone. Intriguing. Hopefully more detail comes out at CES this week.
    01-02-2017 06:44 AM
    What is a good WM10 substitute for BBM? I think Skype will satisfy most my BBM uses. BBM has good group features that skype doesn't though.
    01-30-2017 10:14 AM
    I use Skype and the cr*ppy Whatsapp
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    01-30-2017 02:53 PM
    If it weren't for the epic fail of my Q10 keyboard, I would have stayed with BlackBerry because of these reasons. Unfortunately, BlackBerry has given up on BB10, I had to go somewhere.
    Yeah, unfortunately the Q10 did have some double typing issues. Its a shame because i loved the phone the first time i saw it. Its battery life was miles better than the Z10 so it really did look promising. Just because of my budget, i could only get the Q5, which looking back now, was one of the best devices i have owned. I don't think Blackberry gave up on BB10 because they wanted to, i think the market just wasn't interested. :)

What was really great to see. i was watching some adverts last night and i saw that a lot of the new Apps coming out were supporting Windows 10M as their 'Third' option. Hopefully W10m can becoming more popular. We need a 3rd OS competitor and the OS is fantastic.
    Tim-ANC and xandros9 like this.
    02-10-2017 11:51 PM
    I got my hands on a Lumia 950 and WOW...I am very impressed!

I posted my first impressions here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...tm#post3590158
    Yip! :D

I'm in the same boat, a friend of mine in class got the 950 and it looks so good. Very premium and the camera is no slouch. But since i just dropped some cash on a Blackberry PRIV. My wallet wouldn't be very happy with me if i got a Lumia 950. Even though i would like to, or even a Idol 4s would be cool. haha :P
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-10-2017 11:56 PM
    I got a 950XL last week. Been babbling about it here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...tm#post3627055
    02-13-2017 07:27 AM
101 ... 2345