BlackBerry refugees, we're here to help!

So-sa

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I feel the same way, been with BB for years. However now that BB10 seems on it's way out and I don't like droid, it looks like I will give these new Lumia's a shot. I did recently purchase a surface 3, so they should go well together.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Physical keyboard cover? Is that part of the guess, or did you read that somewhere?

Someone on the Windows Central forum was speculating about this, to me it makes perfect sense, the current Surface features a type cover and uses the Surface Pen, why not bring all this down to a smaller package that has a phone? The Samsung Galaxy Note is a great and successful form factor, why not kick some Google butt and offer something similar that works even better? If I were Microsoft, that is exactly what I would do.
I don't know if Microsoft is paying attention to us ex BB users, but there are still some people that really want a physical keyboard on a phone, this would help fill that market too.

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Does sound interesting, and would be a solid move on their part. Maybe after they see the response to the PKB Priv, they'll look more seriously into it, and us.

seemsixty7

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Hello and thank you in advance for your help.
I am considering switching from Blackberry over to Windows 10 Mobile, specifically the Lumia 950XL. I have used BlackBerry for the past 10 years and in light of BlackBerry switching to Android I am looking at changing to a new OS and I prefer Windows over Apple and Google. I have not dealt with Windows 10 Mobile and know just about nothing in regard to what is normal.
1. Is Blackberry Messenger actually available on it? I heard it was supposed to be back in July.
2. Can you attach actual files to emails?
3. Is Windows Explorer (File manager) available on the phone? never Mind I see this answered in a previous comment
4. Can this version of Windows 10 run Terminal Services? I had a phone back in 2002 than ran a version of windows(Pocket PC 2002?) that did, so I was just curious.
5. How well does the Fitibit app work?
6. Does the Dropbox app work well?
7. Does Dropbox integrate with the OS or simply as an app?
8. Is there a portable version of SQL Server I can run on it?
Also, just for fun can you actually compile and run Java code on it? I know this one is random, grin just thought I would ask.
Sorry I know some of these are just strange off the bat. I am just seeing what I have been out of touch with for years and curious if I can now do more.

Last edited:

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Curious, is something available like BB Protect? Can you lock/swipe your device remotely if it is stolen/lost? If not, what kind of protections are available for the mobile devices?

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Hello and thank you in advance for your help.
I am considering switching from Blackberry over to Windows 10 Mobile, specifically the Lumia 950XL. I have used BlackBerry for the past 10 years and in light of BlackBerry switching to Android I am looking at changing to a new OS and I prefer Windows over Apple and Google. I have not dealt with Windows 10 Mobile and know just about nothing in regard to what is normal.
1. Is Blackberry Messenger actually available on it? I heard it was supposed to be back in July.
I believe this is a yes.

I think this is also answered in a previous comment here in this thread.

Sorry I know some of these are just strange off the bat. I am just seeing what I have been out of touch with for years and curious if I can now do more.
Don't feel bad, same here, but upon looking elsewhere as well, I believe MSFT is on the right track and has the resources to see it through. I think some very interesting things are on the way here; looking to be a part of it. They're also making some very interesting moves in helping devs out which hopefully all the devs will appreciate and take advantage of. Now, if only VZW will get on board ;), but, they may just be in a holding pattern for the rumored s(urface)Phone..rumored to be sometime in early part of 2016 I believe.

I'd love to be able to answer your other questions at this time, but like you, I am in the wings. As soon as a 950/950XL or a surface phone will run on VZW, we're all in here!

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'll answer the questions I know about and leave the other questions to smarter people.
-Yes it is! I just looked in the store, I was actually suprised.
2. Can you attach actual files to emails?
-With 8.1, you have to go round about to do it (a la iPhone), But you can attach files within the email client on Windows 10 Mobile.
-There is a Dropbox app, but Dropbox doesn't integrate with the OS like BB, I switched everything over to OneDrive.

seemsixty7

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
It looks like a few of us have found our way to WindowsCentral. Thanks guys for your help. I'm thinking the 950XL is going to be my next phone. It really pains me to think I'm moving away from Blackberry though. I am hoping to go to the Microsoft Store next Wednesday, when they are supposed to be in the store and pick one up.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
It looks like a few of us have found our way to WindowsCentral. Thanks guys for your help. I'm thinking the 950XL is going to be my next phone. It really pains me to think I'm moving away from Blackberry though. I am hoping to go to the Microsoft Store next Wednesday, when they are supposed to be in the store and pick one up.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was a long time BB user, beginning with the 7290, and it was almost traumatic moving to a new platform, especially since BB really did a great job with BB 10, and other than the double typing, the Q10 is an awesome device.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

I came here from WebOS so I feel your pain. I can tell you I haven't regretted the move. I haven't moved to WP10 yet but probably will soon.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I relied heavily on Dropbox with BB10, but it just isn't integrated in the Windows Phone OS like BB10. I switched pretty much everything from Dropbox to OneDrive which is (of course) well integrated in the OS. OneDrive works good and works well on other platforms.
Get the 950!

With w10 Dropbox is integrated with the email app. Finally bought the Lumia 950 and Dropbox shows up on the email app when I want to attach files.
So far liking it - still miss some of the standard bb10 features

Sent from mTalk

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Been using Lumia 950 for a day now. Need some help with some of the basic functions

1. There is no all email view on outlook? This is a must on all apps.

2. Is there a way to invoke quite time by a toggle? Right now it's tucked under cartona . It's quite a few steps to get to it. Any east way like bed time mode om bb10?

3. Images dont display properly on emails. Checked the settings and external images download option is set to on. Still images dont showup in emails.. How can I make the images to display in emails by default?

Sent from mTalk

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
With w10 Dropbox is integrated with the email app. Finally bought the Lumia 950 and Dropbox shows up on the email app when I want to attach files.
So far liking it - still miss some of the standard bb10 features
Sent from mTalk

Good to hear Dropbox integrates with W10M! It will make it easier for ex BB'ers to migrate over. I wish I could help you with your W10M issues, but I only tried it out the other day on a 950. BTW, I loved the 950, hopefully Verizon will carry it when the contract on my Icon is up.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to invoke quite time by a toggle? Right now it's tucked under cartona . It's quite a few steps to get to it. Any east way like bed time mode om bb10?

Isn't this in the pull down Action Center? (swipe down from the top). I think you can customize this in Settings>Notifications +Actions.

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Isn't this in the pull down Action Center? (swipe down from the top). I think you can customize this in Settings>Notifications +Actions.

Yes . I can activate this by swiping down. Thanks
Is there a way to disable this when the wakeup alarm goes off in the morning? Again coming from bb10 - this was a standard feature .

Sent from mTalk

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes . I can activate this by swiping down. Thanks
Is there a way to disable this when the wakeup alarm goes off in the morning? Again coming from bb10 - this was a standard feature .

Sent from mTalk

I know Quiet Hours is customizable in the Settings menu in 8.1, and you can set automatic rules, like when it goes on and off, but as far as a toggle, I think it's just the pull down Action Center.
Windows Phones can also use NFC tags, so you might be able to quickly use an app to your liking.

Last edited:

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
i just switched a q10 to a lumia 735 (verizon). i immediately upgraded to win10, but i don't see alot things:

1. custom ringtones? for phone and messaging apps? i put my ringtones in the ringtone folder but i don't see them listed
1a. is there a way to preview ringtones?
2. custom notifications for contacts?
3. where is the quiet time settings? when i click on the "moon" button it takes me to cortano, but i don't see any settings related to quiet time.

i wonder if i should fallback to 8.1. Thanx for any help you can provide

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb