BlackBerry refugees, we're here to help!

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
i just switched a q10 to a lumia 735 (verizon). i immediately upgraded to win10, but i don't see alot things:

1. custom ringtones? for phone and messaging apps? i put my ringtones in the ringtone folder but i don't see them listed
1a. is there a way to preview ringtones?
2. custom notifications for contacts?
3. where is the quiet time settings? when i click on the "moon" button it takes me to cortano, but i don't see any settings related to quiet time.

i wonder if i should fallback to 8.1. Thanx for any help you can provide

For quiet time, you need to setup cortona for the first time as the actual quiet time setup is tucked under the notebook in Cortana. Once you set it up, the moon icon will enable or diable quiet time. I'd the same issue at first . It's confusing but once done it will work.

Sent from mTalk

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
i just switched a q10 to a lumia 735 (verizon). i immediately upgraded to win10, but i don't see alot things:

1. custom ringtones? for phone and messaging apps? i put my ringtones in the ringtone folder but i don't see them listed
1a. is there a way to preview ringtones?
2. custom notifications for contacts?
3. where is the quiet time settings? when i click on the "moon" button it takes me to cortano, but i don't see any settings related to quiet time.

i wonder if i should fallback to 8.1. Thanx for any help you can provide

For custom notifications for contacts on 8.1 (should work for 10);
-Open People (contacts)
-Select a person
-Select Edit (the pencil icon at bottom)
-Scroll down and you'll see "Ringtone" and "Text Tone" options.

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
For custom notifications for contacts on 8.1 (should work for 10);
-Open People (contacts)
-Select a person
-Select Edit (the pencil icon at bottom)
-Scroll down and you'll see "Ringtone" and "Text Tone" options.

Thanx! i've also seen other people stating that custom ringtones are not displaying in their list of ringtones, so it seems i am not alone with that problem on build 10586.11.

i have another question. on blackberry, in the music app, a long press of the volume keys will jump to next/previous tracks. this is very useful, say when outside and don't want 2 take your phone out, unlock it, and press the screen. is this an option in wp? or does anyone know of another music player that has this functionality?

Thanx!!!

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
after some more research, i found that the custom ringtones needed to have the genre set to ringtone. So now i am able to see them in my list of ringtones. And i figured out how to preview them also...little by little, i'm getting there.

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
on blackberry, in the music app, a long press of the volume keys will jump to next/previous tracks. this is very useful, say when outside and don't want 2 take your phone out, unlock it, and press the screen. is this an option in wp? or does anyone know of another music player that has this functionality?

Thanx!!!

This is not possible. But earphones buttons let you do the following:
One Tap: Play/Pause
Two Tap: Next song
Three Tap: Previous song.

Also you don't need to unlock and press any button. Volume buttons will automatically show when you press the unlock button.

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
This is not possible. But earphones buttons let you do the following:
One Tap: Play/Pause
Two Tap: Next song
Three Tap: Previous song.

Also you don't need to unlock and press any button. Volume buttons will automatically show when you press the unlock button.

thanx man...i will give that a shot.

appreciate everyone's help!

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I just made the jump from a BB Z30 to an Unlocked Lumia 950 last night.

I'm a little bummed I won't get visual voice mail on my dual-sim 950, and some of the other nice to have AT&T things, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I am really missing BB10 OS, probably because I had it tweaked perfectly, but I am hoping people can help me out with a few questions.
  1. What is the difference between Night Mode and Quiet Mode? In BB10 I used Bedside mode to silence all alerts except phone calls and then I would turn off the screen. It really bugged me last night that Glance seemed to stay on after I put my phone on charge next to my bed, so I put it to a 30 second timeout but also played around with Night mode. I don't like the fact that Night mode is timed and I can't turn it off and on like Beside mode. I can turn Quiet Mode on and off, but it seems to be more like toggling the sound notification profile in BB10 versus Bedside mode.
  2. Is there a way to sync my photos and videos to my SD Card with OneDrive? I used BB Link to do this in the past and while it was a little clunky it worked. Now it seems like I have to use mobile data every time I want to see a picture or video I have stored on OneDrive.
  3. Is there a way to customize the icons and their order on the pull down 4 row Settings menu? The order of icons is weird to me and I would like to change things up and also maybe swap out a few like I could do on the BB10 OS.
  4. Is there something that's the equivalent to the BB10 HUB? Right now I have to go to the IM app for IMs, and then while in Outlook I have to toggle between Work and Personal email to see my email. This is VERY different than the BB10 Hub experience.
  5. Is there a way to get a month view in the Calendar app? I seem to get Agenda, Day, and Week only.
  6. Is there a way to turn off/get rid off my Outlook.com account? I have a Personal and Work Exchange account I use exclusively, and don't care to see anything from the place holder Outlook.com account. I have turned off email sync to that account, but you apparently can't remove it from the system.

Beyond that I am just going through app withdrawal from not having Mint, Dunkin Donuts, etc... that I had on my Z30. Also while swipe is really nice, I miss the efficiency of the BB10 keyboard. Otherwise the experience has been good and I hope things just keep getting better (like I get visual voice mail someday).

Thanks for creating this thread to help us converts out and also for any answers you all are able to provide!

Last edited:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
What is the difference between Night Mode and Quiet Mode? In BB10 I used Bedside mode to silence all alerts except phone calls and then I would turn off the screen. It really bugged me last night that Glance seemed to stay on after I put my phone on charge next to my bed, so I put it to a 30 second timeout but also played around with Night mode. I don't like the fact that Night mode is timed and I can't turn it off and on like Beside mode. I can turn Quiet Mode on and off, but it seems to be more like toggling the sound notification profile in BB10 versus Bedside mode.

Night Mode makes the Glance screen more readable at night, and Quiet Mode customizes how calls and notifications are dealt with, both are customizable in Settings (I think it’s still there on Windows 10 Mobile). You might be able to toggle on and off Night Mode in the Quick Action pull down menu.

Is there a way to sync my photos and videos to my SD Card with OneDrive? I used BB Link to do this in the past and while it was a little clunky it worked. Now it seems like I have to use mobile data every time I want to see a picture or video I have stored on OneDrive.

I don’t know if you can sync photos and videos from One Drive to your phone’s SD card, but there is the Windows Phone desktop app, it’s not as robust as BB Link, but not near as cranky, you can sync photos/videos with it.

Is there a way to customize the icons and their order on the pull down 4 row Settings menu? The order of icons is weird to me and I would like to change things up and also maybe swap out a few like I could do on the BB10 OS.

I think you are talking about the pull down Notification + Action center, I know W10M has expanded on this, and I think you still go to Settings to manage it.

Is there something that's the equivalent to the BB10 HUB? Right now I have to go to the IM app for IMs, and then while in Outlook I have to toggle between Work and Personal email to see my email. This is VERY different than the BB10 Hub experience.

I WISH WE HAD BB HUB! The thing I do is use the notification ability of the live tiles and I have Messaging, the phone app, Calendar, and email apps at the top of my Start Menu, so that way, no matter what I’m doing, I can hit the center windows icon on the bottom navigation buttons, and I can see what’s going on.

Is there a way to get a month view in the Calendar app? I seem to get Agenda, Day, and Week only.

On 8.1 it’s an option in the 3 dot expansion menu at the bottom right, hopefully they still have month view in W10M.

Is there a way to turn off/get rid off my Outlook.com account? I have a Personal and Work Exchange account I use exclusively, and don't care to see anything from the place holder Outlook.com account. I have turned off email sync to that account, but you apparently can't remove it from the system.

Because MS is going so cloud connected, I doubt it. OneDrive is connected through your Outlook account, and it sounds like you use OneDrive, so you need it.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Night Mode makes the Glance screen more readable at night, and Quiet Mode customizes how calls and notifications are dealt with, both are customizable in Settings (I think it’s still there on Windows 10 Mobile). You might be able to toggle on and off Night Mode in the Quick Action pull down menu.
It seems like BB10's Bedside mode was a culmination of these two features. Or rather the Sound Profile settings toggle was equivalent to Quiet Mode, and their Beside mode combined Quiet Mode and Night mode. Since Night Mode doesn't seem to do much for device control, just display, I probably won't use it much.

I don’t know if you can sync photos and videos from One Drive to your phone’s SD card, but there is the Windows Phone desktop app, it’s not as robust as BB Link, but not near as cranky, you can sync photos/videos with it.
I've looked at the Phone Companion app and it doesn't seem to do the wireless syncing BB Link did, so I think I am probably out of luck with syncing photos to my device automatically and w/o a USB cable.

I think you are talking about the pull down Notification + Action center, I know W10M has expanded on this, and I think you still go to Settings to manage it.
Yes I am talking about the Notification + Action center. There doesn't appear to be a way to control the ordering or what's listed in the full action menu. You have some limited control over what is shown in the 4 item mini action menu, but the action center is not as customizable as BB10 which is disappointing.

I WISH WE HAD BB HUB! The thing I do is use the notification ability of the live tiles and I have Messaging, the phone app, Calendar, and email apps at the top of my Start Menu, so that way, no matter what I’m doing, I can hit the center windows icon on the bottom navigation buttons, and I can see what’s going on.
I can certainly rely on the live tiles for notifications of new items but switching between all of those apps, and then going back to manually close them when I am done, is tedious and as "flowing" as the Hub on BB10. A co-worker of mine is running a newer BETA of the Outlook app and says you can at least combine two mailboxes into one view, but everything else is still in its own separate app. That's a step in the right direction at least.

On 8.1 it’s an option in the 3 dot expansion menu at the bottom right, hopefully they still have month view in W10M.
It's not an option on the stock Win 10 Calendar app. However my same co-worker as above is running a newer BETA of the Calendar app and has a month view. So at least they are addressing that. :)

Because MS is going so cloud connected, I doubt it. OneDrive is connected through your Outlook account, and it sounds like you use OneDrive, so you need it.
My OneDrive is tied to my Live ID logon, not my Outlook.com mailbox. The Outlook.com mailbox is in turn tied to my Live ID, but it would be incorrect to state my OneDrive is tied to my Outlook.com mailbox. It is even broken out that way on the "YOUR EMAIL AND ACCOUNTS" page where my Microsoft (Live ID) account is listed separately from my Outlook.com mailbox.
Therefore I'm not clear why I am forced to sync this mailbox and calendar on my phone, to the point where I can't remove it but I can turn off the display of the calendar and syncing of the email (I'm not sure if I can do the same for contacts). I appreciate that I am probably the odd man out here in this gripe/complaint, but I don't use my Outlook.com mailbox for anything and would rather not have resources wasted on referencing/maintaining it. I will see if someone on the insider program can request this as a feature but I am sure it will be shot down. :)

So other than missing the Hub and wishing the calendar app had some additional features, all in all the transition from BB10 wasn't that bad. Now if I can just get that Android emulator working on this phone like I did on my BB10. :)

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The Outlook and Calendaring update that came through last night added a Month view to the Calendar app. While its not as informative as the view on my BB10, it's a step forward I'm the right direction so I will take it.☺

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The Outlook and Calendaring update that came through last night added a Month view to the Calendar app. While its not as informative as the view on my BB10, it's a step forward I'm the right direction so I will take it.☺

Any changes in Outlook?

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
This is a great thread!

I have used BlackBerry (legacy and BB10), Windows, Android, and iOS phones as my daily driver at one point or another. While I can appreciate the unique strengths of each, I have also been able to see the weaknesses. For a long time, I've been coming back to BlackBerry because it has been the platform with weaknesses I could tolerate the most.

Now that BB10 is going away (many BB fans are still in denial about this), I've taken the opportunity to reevaluate my mobile phone situation altogether. When the Priv was first officially announced, I got my hands on a Moto G 2nd Gen to give Android another shot. I found it to be usable, but I just cannot get excited about Android for many reasons (I won't elaborate, as the fact that we are all here means we probably all know the reasons).

Currently, I am using a basic phone as my daily driver. You might call it "smartphone detox". I wanted to see just how dependent on a smartphone I've become and see if I could stand going back to basics. Thus far, I've found that I can actually get by with a basic cell phone. There are computers and mobile devices all around me at work and home, so if I absolutely must check my email, get on social media, etc. I am still able to do so pretty easily. But now it's on my terms, not because a device in my pocket beeped/vibrated. But I digress.

I'm not sure how much longer I'll use a basic phone before I get the itch to go back to a smartphone. But if and when I do, I'm seriously looking at a Windows phone. And I'm actually not terribly picky on Windows 10 mobile vs Windows Phone 8.1. I have a Lumia 822 that I'm using as a "PDA" right now and I'm actually quite happy with its features and performance. After proving that I can get by with just texting and phone calls, the so-called "app gap" is a non-issue for me.

The live tile interface has always been appealing to me. I love that the icons can also be widgets and that you can change their size. And the ability to pin things to the home screen is, quite frankly, AWESOME. No other mobile OS has this functionality and it is powerful. For example, the Netflix show I'm currently binge watching? I pinned a shortcut to it so that I don't have to open Netflix and look at my recently watched shows or my queue to find it. That OneDrive folder that I use a lot? Pinned it. That Pandora station I love? Pinned it. Such a great feature.

What really intrigues me about Windows 10 mobile is Continuum. For the longest time, I have dreamed of a smartphone that could support both a mobile and a desktop environment. I know that Continuum still has some kinks to work out and has limited app support right now, but it has such amazing potential. If Continuum supported Remote Desktop, for example, that would be a game-changer for geeks like me and IT professionals.

I know that, like BlackBerry, Microsoft has a history of letting untapped potential go to waste. Unfortunately, BlackBerry has had to abandon its own OS to try to stay in the handset business. I can't see how this is a good thing for them or for the smartphone industry as a whole. Competition is good. Consumers always benefit when there are more choices. So I really hope Microsoft can pull this off and that Windows 10 mobile catches on enough to stick around.

If and when I jump back to a smartphone, I'll be looking very seriously at a Lumia 950 or 950 XL.

Of course, I still have a BlackBerry Q10 and I may just use it until it is unusable. ;)

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
What really intrigues me about Windows 10 mobile is Continuum. For the longest time, I have dreamed of a smartphone that could support both a mobile and a desktop environment. I know that Continuum still has some kinks to work out and has limited app support right now, but it has such amazing potential. If Continuum supported Remote Desktop, for example, that would be a game-changer for geeks like me and IT professionals.

Newfangled, good to hear from you again! The whole Android-Berry thing is polarizing the BlackBerry fan base, even if the double typing fiasco didn't happen, the current situation would have pushed me to Windows Mobile.
Windows phone can do remote desktop, so I don't know why it wouldn't work through Continuum.

PS;
http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-confirms-remote-desktop-universal-app-soon

Last edited:

i_hiker

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Blackberry has been my only Smartphone...until now. I ported one of my VZW numbers over to ATT on Nov. 20, picked up the Lumia 950, and have to say I like this device a lot! BB10 is a sinking ship and there is no way I'm getting an Android or iPhone.

When I have more time I'll go into this in more depth as there are a few things I miss that were on BB but will say to anybody looking to move from Blackberry to a new Lumia device....just do it!

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Any changes in Outlook?

Yes, I can link inboxes now. However this isn't really useful if I can't tell the difference between accounts like I could in the BB10 hub. There I could color code each account so I could quickly see which mailbox had received the message. With this inbox linking all the email is merged together and I can't tell easily which account was used. Microsoft has some work to do in this area.

HotFix

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Blackberry has been my only Smartphone...until now. I ported one of my VZW numbers over to ATT on Nov. 20, picked up the Lumia 950, and have to say I like this device a lot! BB10 is a sinking ship and there is no way I'm getting an Android or iPhone.

When I have more time I'll go into this in more depth as there are a few things I miss that were on BB but will say to anybody looking to move from Blackberry to a new Lumia device....just do it!

I too was a BB10 devotee, but with their recent understandable yet regrettable platform change, I too was left looking for a new home. Windows Mobile 10 has a ways to go, it is a decent substitute for what I had previously.

Last edited:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I can link inboxes now. However this isn't really useful if I can't tell the difference between accounts like I could in the BB10 hub. There I could color code each account so I could quickly see which mailbox had received the message. With this inbox linking all the email is merged together and I can't tell easily which account was used. Microsoft has some work to do in this area.

Agreed, 8.1 can do a unified inbox, but I ended up doing it separate so I could have different notifications for each account. One thing I would like is being able to do custom notifications for specific folders, BB 10 hub couldn't do this (at least when I left). I'd love to see a totally integrated through the OS MS Outlook that would work like the BB Hub, like how OneNote is used today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05