BlackBerry refugees, we're here to help!

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Newfangled, good to hear from you again! The whole Android-Berry thing is polarizing the BlackBerry fan base, even if the double typing fiasco didn't happen, the current situation would have pushed me to Windows Mobile.
Windows phone can do remote desktop, so I don't know why it wouldn't work through Continuum.

PS;
Microsoft confirms Remote Desktop Universal app with Continuum is coming soon | Windows Central

Thanks!

And I read about remote desktop coming to Continuum this morning! I'm really excited about this. It may win me (back) over to Windows phones.

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
is there a "personal dictionary' type function in WP10? i see that windows learns what you type and automates this somewhat, but i've also seen some references to people adding their own words while they are typing, but i can't seem to find that. i think most times i've seen this, ppl reference wp8/8/1

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
is there a "personal dictionary' type function in WP10? i see that windows learns what you type and automates this somewhat, but i've also seen some references to people adding their own words while they are typing, but i can't seem to find that. i think most times i've seen this, ppl reference wp8/8/1

nevermind...i figured it out. the trick was to put the cursor in front of the new word. once there, it shows in the predictive text line with a '+' in front of it, and clicking that adds the word.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
nevermind...i figured it out. the trick was to put the cursor in front of the new word. once there, it shows in the predictive text line with a '+' in front of it, and clicking that adds the word.

In 8.1, as you type, if the phone doesn't recognize a word, it underlines it with a red squiggly line. Tap the word, it will highlight it and the word will appear on the word suggest ribbon below with the + in front of it. Tapping on the +word on the ribbon will add it to the dictionary.

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
so....is there a way to do a local backup on wp10? i'm aware that i can copy my data locally when plugging into my pc. But in reference to phone settings, sms, contacts, apps, etc, i only see an option to backup to onedrive, but would prefer a local backup.

pcwilliams

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
okay...I guess the cloud is all the buzz right now, but i don't want to give them all my data! oh well. thx! hopefully someone can make an app for this type of functionality.

the more i use wp, the less i'm feeling it is that much different than android, excluding apps of course. i just don't trust google. but now i'm asking myself, can i trust microsoft?

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
okay...I guess the cloud is all the buzz right now, but i don't want to give them all my data! oh well. thx! hopefully someone can make an app for this type of functionality.

the more i use wp, the less i'm feeling it is that much different than android, excluding apps of course. i just don't trust google. but now i'm asking myself, can i trust microsoft?

Even though MS has access to your data, their business models are different, Google for the most part, doesn't charge for their services because they data mine your info. MS charges for most of their services, so no need for extensive data mining.
When I transitioned from local backup (BBOS) to cloud backup (BB10), I started using LastPass, besides being a password keeper, it also has secure notes, where I store high value info. LastPass uses encryption, so it should be as secure as I need. I let MS handle contacts, calendars and general info.
But ultimately, an encrypted local backup on a removable storage would be the most secure thing to do, I don't do it as I don't have that valuable of data.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Do any of you have the Lumia 1520? I'm seriously looking into getting one, as it's still got decent specs and features compared to more recent phones. I know it will eventually get Windows 10. Is Continuum reserved for newer devices only, or has there been any hint that it might be available on older Lumias?

Anything I should be wary of about the 1520? Should I go for a different model?

I'd go for a 950, but the price is still too high for me.

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Do any of you have the Lumia 1520? I'm seriously looking into getting one, as it's still got decent specs and features compared to more recent phones. I know it will eventually get Windows 10. Is Continuum reserved for newer devices only, or has there been any hint that it might be available on older Lumias?

Anything I should be wary of about the 1520? Should I go for a different model?

I'd go for a 950, but the price is still too high for me.

I have the 1520. Its a pretty good phone and no, it wont get continuum.
Browse for phantom touch before buy one, its a major peoblem you could find.

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a Passport, and I love it - it's the keyboard/touchpad for my Surface 3. But I'm already looking towards my next phone, which will most likely be a Win10 device. I'm very much looking forward to universal apps, but what about apps that do not have a desktop equivalent? Specifically, I use Starbucks and Second Cup apps (both Android) to pay for my coffee addiction, and both work well on my Passport - for now. However, as these apps get updated, and the Runtime on BB10 remains stuck at 4.3, I expect these apps to eventually stop working.

Yes, I can take screenshots of the barcodes and scan them for payment, but it's a hassle to also log onto the website to check the $ available. Is MS making any headway into getting these payments apps working on its phones? The same goes for banking apps - photo deposit is an app-only feature that is not available on web apps.

Thanks in advance for the help, I expect to become a more frequent visitor here.

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a question for HotFix: I'm in the same situation as you, with a Live ID to log onto MS devices, an Outlook.com account as a placeholder, a personal OneDrive account that syncs across all my devices, including my Passport, and a paid Exchange account (with its own OneDrive) that I use for email, calendar and contacts.

So far from having a fully integrated account, I am forced to use a disjointed combination of business and personal accounts and storage locations. The Exchange OneDrive is currently not usable for me, as I can't access it as a folder in File Explorer, and it doesn't sync with the Passport.

Or is it possible to integrate the personal and Exchange accounts? Is it at least possible with the Windows phone? Can I get rid of my Live ID and use Exchange only to log onto my devices and sync across them?

I understand security issues that keep Exchange accounts better protected, but damn, the user experience shouldn't suffer that much.

sgt_snacks-64

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I've got a question please? (Passport Refugee > 950XL).

Back on BlackBerry 10, after a software update you would always get 1-2 days of major battery burn as the OS indexed everything (again). Is this the case with Windows 10 Phone? Sorry if it's a stupid question, couldn't find anything searching forums / Google.

P.s. Absolutely loving WP10/950XL so far!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Back on BlackBerry 10, after a software update you would always get 1-2 days of major battery burn as the OS indexed everything (again). Is this the case with Windows 10 Phone? Sorry if it's a stupid question, couldn't find anything searching forums / Google.

We do see it sometimes with a new device especially since we're playing with it a lot.

But for most updates I don't think we see that.

Azensun

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I followed nearly the same path as you (Passport>640XL>950XL) so first, welcome! And like you, I really like WP10! To me, it's similar to BB10, so I felt the transition was fairly easy, except for saying goodbye to a platform I've used for eight years.
As far as the familiar battery drain after loading an OS update, I haven't noticed it as I did with all my BB's. Of course, I can't put this phone down, (LOL) but even though the 950XL battery is slightly smaller than the Passport's, it really holds up well.

sgt_snacks-64

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I followed nearly the same path as you (Passport>640XL>950XL) so first, welcome! And like you, I really like WP10! To me, it's similar to BB10, so I felt the transition was fairly easy, except for saying goodbye to a platform I've used for eight years.
As far as the familiar battery drain after loading an OS update, I haven't noticed it as I did with all my BB's. Of course, I can't put this phone down, (LOL) but even though the 950XL battery is slightly smaller than the Passport's, it really holds up well.

Hey!

Yeah I'm generally finding the same with the 950XL so far. I'm having trouble putting it down but during the working day it's generally getting me as far as my Passport got me.

I guess the only thing I've noticed since coming here is, well, BB10 was focused on messaging and e-mail (I.e. BlackBerry Hub). Because of how WP works, I'd say I'm checking my emails less than I did on my Passport.

Also, coming from BB10, I have to admit there really isn't much of an App-Gap like you find reviewers complaining about. Found everything I could possibly need plus more on this OS :)

Cortana is awesome. On BlackBerry maps I would have to enter a UK postcode in a certain way, with Cortana, I just say "Hey Cortana, take me to Devonshire Infant School", it's rather magical :)

fanatical

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
So been on my Lumia 650 for a few days now. Was quite excited as I was setting it up, really seemed to be a good fit however as I actually started using the thing.... excitement has turned to disappointment.

Generally, I'm just finding that the OS is half baked. It almost seems as though this is MS's first attempt at a phone OS. Some very basic functionality is missing, things I'd always taken for granted on my Blackberry.

I had real issues with mail to start. Really didn't like that my accounts were all sitting in separate inboxes. Finally found the setting to link these which is great, however there is no way to differentiate the accounts, or simply filter from one account to the other. This is 2 click in BB10. In MS I?d have to unlick then link again. Every email in the inbox has a nice colored bar beside it, why can?t it use a different color for each account, kinda like the MS calendar does?

Notifications are terrible in general. Yes I knew I would miss my flashing LED, but didn?t realize how much. I?ve also found at time I don?t get a notification at all, and mail some times take 10 to 15 minutes to arrive, yet my BB sitting right beside it gets them instantly. What about Voice mail ? am I missing something ? I don?t seems to get any notification of a new VM?. Just of a missed call. Can I enable visual voice mail ? calling into my voice mail just seems so archaic lol
On my BB, I was able to click a phone # in someone?s email signature to have the phone dial the number. This doesn?t appear to be the case in windows phone.

Bluetooth, not stable?. Paired to car with no issues, but doesn?t always work. At first I?d thought it was because it had gone into battery saving mode or something, but no. I?ve had it fail on near full charge, and have had to reboot to get it working.
App support, well sorry to say it worse than on BB?.. and I?m talking BB native apps, not side loaded android apps 

Keyboard is just OK. I?m sure I?ll get better with it, and it will possibly learn my typing as the BB keyboard does, however I?m somewhat annoyed that it isn?t smart enough to switch to a 4 line KB (with numbers) when into certain fields, such as postal code, password etc.

Other than that I?ve just found a hand full of dumb things that don?t work the way they should. Dead or incorrect help screens, the tutorial or getting started app keeps telling me I have to connect to the internet lol?.

On the plus side?. Cortana and the voice dictation seem to work very well.

I?m gonna play with it a couple more days, see if I can get it to an acceptable state, but my gut feeling is, I?ll be sending shiny new windows phone back, and throwing my sim back in my 3 year old Z30 :/

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
If it weren't for the epic fail of my Q10 keyboard, I would have stayed with BlackBerry because of these reasons. Unfortunately, BlackBerry has given up on BB10, I had to go somewhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss