From wp to android

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Begging your pardon but I'm not sure that's accurate. I own the HTC One M8 running android and weather its yesterday or today, that puppy lags. Now if you're talking about a new android with nothing on it but the OS, can't buy a lag. Load it up with your favorite apps and launchers and you got pure lag minestrone like always.

I never saw that on either Windows phone OS's or IOS for that matter and I own them all.

Agreed, Nice and minty new install of android, the phone is fast and snappy. Fast forward even 2 months down the road, and you start noticing unsmooth scrolling etc, then 4 months in you will notice app crashes etc, followed then by full blown OS crashes. Andorid is and always will be android. Nice and smooth starting off and progressing to a molasses filled pile. I am dying to get my 1020 back to have smooth OS, great camera and proper phone usage again.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, Nice and minty new install of android, the phone is fast and snappy. Fast forward even 2 months down the road, and you start noticing unsmooth scrolling etc, then 4 months in you will notice app crashes etc, followed then by full blown OS crashes. Andorid is and always will be android. Nice and smooth starting off and progressing to a molasses filled pile. I am dying to get my 1020 back to have smooth OS, great camera and proper phone usage again.
That is not always the case. I used a 2013 Moto X for 7 months and did not experience any lag or crashing.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That is not always the case. I used a 2013 Moto X for 7 months and did not experience any lag or crashing.
Which is why I began by saying that what you said was not entirely accurate. There are always the "exception"
In my house, have plenty spent android devices around. My son is at AT&T and gets to manage them all on a professional level. Some are worse than others but ALL develop that lag. It is the nature of android to lag once it is loaded up with competing technologies touching every sensor on the operating system. I haven't seen your phone because I don't know what you do but for moderate to heavy users that must "customize" at all costs, google provides the platform and android provides the lag. Thems the facts.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Talking about UI, what you think is minimal and good? Will zenUI be good? Are there any black and minimal UI that is not cartoonish?

I like Arrow by Microsoft. Definitely not cartoonish like most of the launchers out there. But dark themes are hard to come by. Even on Windows Phone 10. But with Android you can change the color temperature and brightness by time of day.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I moved to Android In October 2014 when my 925 stopped working. At first, I really missed my windows phone. I couldn't get my Android to be a Windows phone and hated it. After a couple of months, I really started to appreciate what my Android could do. I still have a simple setup but it works well. I use the Nokia Z-Laucher. I also bought an app called Calendar Notify which puts next 4 appointments (it's changable in how many you can have) on the lock screen and in my notification shade. That replaced Simple Calendar on my windows phone. I tried using Outlook for my mail, but bought Nine instead which is what Outlook should be.

Other pluses for me are Wunderlist has a feature to quickly add something you can turn on the notification shade quick add. Just open your notifications, click the quick add and add your task/reminder. Waze which I use twice a day works very well. My nest app is fine. When I travel I just download the apps I need for airline, hotel and/or car and then delete them when I am done. I don't travel regularly so they aren't an issue. I have Cortana but Google Now works better for me. I use Excel and Word. I also upgraded to Quicken 2016 and my wife and I use to app to check balances and add transactions. All very smooth.

I picked up a 640 in September to see what I was missing and haven't played with it that much. I do miss some of the simplicity and the consistent look of Windows Mobile. Right now the advantages of Android outweigh the workaround efforts on Windows for me.

David

Thank you for the Nine recommendation. It's a great email client. It says it has in app purchases but I haven't seen anything yet. Where does the $10 come in? I think it would be worth the price and is what outlook should have been.

Is there anything calendar wise that is the equivalent?

David Ginsburg

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I believe Nine is free for two weeks, then it's $9.99 to use/buy.

For the calendar, I have been using Business Calendar 2. The agenda widget doesn't update regularly, hiding appointments that have passed, changing days after midnight, so I have been using the google calendar widget. I don't like it as much, but it updates and the way my brain works (or doesn't) that's the most important part for me.

On the rumor front, Nine says they are working on a calendar. I believe I heard it in a comment/response to a review on the Play store. I hope it's true and comes out soon. Outlook for Android is still missing features and if Nine does a calendar half as well as they do email, it will be pretty good.

David

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear. My biggest problem with the calendar situation is in having a good widget or lock screen view. I'd like something elegant (along the lines of most of the time/weather ones) and that presents upcoming appointments in a good way. Even Microsoft messed that up in Windows Phone as any all day event blocked the entire agenda.

Using the Next lock screen has made me start loving this phone. MS could hook into the system calendar and incorporate a good agenda view there.

I didn't see anywhere about the two week trial. It should be more apparent as that could upset some people if it suddenly pops up on them. But it is worth paying for. It's the best email client I've seen on any phone platform.

Elitewolf

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
To every users that had/have both android and winphone: what do you think about android? Im probably going from win10 lumia 1520 to a zenfone2, what did you miss more about Windows? Share your experience

I've had a Mote G first gen and now a Mote E 2nd Gen that I use as a secondary device to play with Android. The Biggest things I miss are true Expandable storage(having full apps on your SD card), the Fluidness of the Windows OS, the Windows UI, to me the worst thing about Android is the way updates are handled. Sure there are a bunch of phone choices compared to windows phone but maybe only 1 or 2 will actually be supported longer than a year. The Moto line was great for that but now that they've been bought my Lenovo I can't see them being supported as well as they were under google. If you care about updates your only option with Android is to go with a Nexus phone or some other flagship that promises updates. Sucks for people like me who will not pay over $200 for an Android phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa