Moving away from Windows Phone (temporarily?)

mrwinphan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I have been with Windows Phone for 5+ years. It all started with the Samsung Focus in 2011. I remember loving the phone and the interface and feeling like I had something unique in hand when using Windows Phone.
My next windows phone was a Lumia 928 which is the phone I still use as a daily driver (currently on W10 after going through all the updates 7, NoDo, mango, 8, 8.1, etc.)
Unfortunately, my time has come to an end. W10 runs well enough on the 928 but as is common knowledge, still feels half-baked. What drives me away is a combination of software and hardware. I constantly miss SMS notifications (I'm assuming as a result of W10), my phone has restarted multiple times while trying to make phone calls (which makes me doubt its reliability), the lagginess prevents me from actually wanting to use my phone, the camera performance is abysmal, my lock button sometimes works and sometimes doesn't (hardware issue). I simply don't have a reliable phone that I enjoy using. To add insult to injury, I am on Verizon which offers no other Windows alternative for me.

So for the time being goodbye, a Galaxy S6 will become my daily driver. I hope in 1-2 years the platform is still alive, has improved, and I have device options with Verizon.

Tis a sad day indeed.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Why tie yourself to Verizon? Buy yourself an unlocked 950 or 950 XL and move to the carrier of your choice ATT or Tmobile, Cricket or Straight Talk. I'm loving my unlocked DS 950 XL and getting all the SW and FW updates directly from Microsoft.

mrwinphan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Why tie yourself to Verizon? Buy yourself an unlocked 950 or 950 XL and move to the carrier of your choice ATT or Tmobile, Cricket or Straight Talk. I'm loving my unlocked DS 950 XL and getting all the SW and FW updates directly from Microsoft.

Because Verizon is the only one who provides reliable service where I live - unfortunately.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Enjoy the Samsung! Android has come a long way in the past few years. I have a Note 5 myself and enjoy it immensely. It is always nice to experience other platforms when you can. Why tie yourself to one platform, use them all I say :) . Funds permitting of course...

Mike Nelson5

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I kind of agree with your reasoning as I am doing something similar. I to have been with the platform since it was two weeks old and my first was a Focus as well however I just dumped w10m after about 5 months solid and rolled back to 8.1 on my 1520. I think the experience was both good and really frustrating at the same time. .63 build just isn't there yet and this build is supposed to be better than the build on my wife's 950 which is still on .29 btw. (which she really isn't happy with btw) and needs firmware bad btw. No notifications problems but battery life is just horrific and I still get crashes key things are missing that I use every day like gestures beta and Tunein radio because it has been updated and its not compatible with w10m. Cortana is a mess imo, her and Bing in the Edge browser are not on the same page for instance I search for news in Cortana for a topic but I can't get results for news on that same topic in Bing in the Edge browser I will get a lot of info from Cortana but will get nothing in the news in Edge. I can't stream my favorite sports talk show in the Edge mobile browser but I can on Edge on my surface pro and I can on IE11 in 8.1 WP. Again I ask the question I thought Edge was a universal app? The location text box in the calendar does not communicate with Bing even though you turn on location so I have to copy paste addresses of events so my calendar reminds me its time to leave. I will stay on 8.1 until they get it sorted I even turned of automatic update on my 1520 because I don't want it installed and then to be stuck and no way to roll back to 8.1. I will wait until the Surface phone and re evaluate my options but for now I'm happy to be back on 8.1 with my trusty 1520. I will miss some things like file manger and and the navigation app. Android does nothing for me however so I'm still sticking to WP.

justonlumia

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I have 2 phones, For the past 6 months I tried using my L640 over A7 giving WP a chance but lately i'm drifting towards android waiting for the official, almost "bug free" release of W10M to change my mind

MobileOperator

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Sad but true, each and every day its getting harder and harder to be patient on windows mobile hoping MS will do things right, they might be trying but a giant company like them couldn't be this far without making this software work at least flawlessly, they are just not trying hard enough.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the sentiments here. I've been with Microsoft mobile phones since before HTC had those sliders, who's names I forget. But in the last six month or so, I been using my Samsung Galaxy S4 as my daily driver, while I used my 1520 on the Insider Program. Why did I switch to Galaxy: App Gap. But then the Insider Program was doing fairly well, the app gap seemed be closing some, but my device lacked Motion, Motion Data, Gadgets, Glance, Hey Cortana. So I rolls back to 8.1, and to my surprise, I got a firmware update. (What the heck, Insider program somehow blocks firmware updates!!!!). And now W10M "production" version is apparently delayed again. (And the 950's are having trouble, maybe because they rushed to make the Christmas season.) Seems Microsoft slipping or at least strained a bit now, missed deadlines and such. So, I'll sit at 8.1 until WM10 is released.

mrwinphan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Enjoy the Samsung! Android has come a long way in the past few years. I have a Note 5 myself and enjoy it immensely. It is always nice to experience other platforms when you can. Why tie yourself to one platform, use them all I say :) . Funds permitting of course...

Yes, I'm excited - because funds allow me to get a new phone every 18 months or so :) so I know it'll be a while before coming back to WP. My wife has the iPhone (she moved to it a year ago) I feel like I get enough playtime with the iPhone to know i don't want one :p

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would've recommended a Blackberry 10 device, such as the Z30 or Leap. You can get pretty much all the apps on Android, but if you don't need them then it's the most straightforward OS out there.

Last edited:

DCTF

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm researching Androids now. My 930 is my 3rd Windows Phone, but I've had it now. Once I see a deal I like, I'm out (unless there's some miraculous update to W10M before then, but I wouldn't bet on it).

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I agree with the sentiments here. I've been with Microsoft mobile phones since before HTC had those sliders, who's names I forget. But in the last six month or so, I been using my Samsung Galaxy S4 as my daily driver, while I used my 1520 on the Insider Program. Why did I switch to Galaxy: App Gap. But then the Insider Program was doing fairly well, the app gap seemed be closing some, but my device lacked Motion, Motion Data, Gadgets, Glance, Hey Cortana. So I rolls back to 8.1, and to my surprise, I got a firmware update. (What the heck, Insider program somehow blocks firmware updates!!!!). And now W10M "production" version is apparently delayed again. (And the 950's are having trouble, maybe because they rushed to make the Christmas season.) Seems Microsoft slipping or at least strained a bit now, missed deadlines and such. So, I'll sit at 8.1 until WM10 is released.

It appears the firmware uupdate received on 8.1 is in readiness of W10 coming (sic).
Glance, motion, motion data, hey Cortana and gadgets are all now working in the latest TP .63. My problem is Cortana is a car crash now! Live tile is Er... a dead tile now, no tracking on tile, only headline news.....turn news of, tile stops! 8.1 beta (yes, beta) is light years ahead!! Anyways, 10 now has the stuff you mentioned and isn't that bad. Funny thing is,.my 930 runs better than the wife's 950xl and my sons 950 ;-) lol. Shouldn't be a 'lol' but if you wrote a book about MSFT, it would NEVER be published as non-fiction....

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
And all I wanted was a faster 1020. The XL was not. I will keep my 1020 running 8.1 until it can't.
Ahhh, the xx20 phones. God, I love my old 1320... Runs win 10 ok, but it's a rocket ship on 8.1! My go to phone after my 1520 ended up in the bath without any swim aids! Def miss that one :'(

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree, My first Windows phone was a 820 and it was perfect as a midrange. Most of the insides that the flagships (920/925) had but at a price you could live with. But after a few years the battery has trouble holding a charge (tired ordering a new one and they all come in not holding a charge) and I wanted a bigger screen, and a battery that would last longer. Plus the chances of getting W10 on it are probably less than zero). Looked at the 830 and had to laugh. Almost no upgrade over the 820 with a price that would choke a horse. Bought a 640 to replace my 820; so I can keep up with Windows Phone. But I went ahead and got an Android phone to be my main phone. 5.5 inch screen, 2950 battery, 615 cpu, 13 mp camera, 32 GB of storage, 2 GB of ram all for less than 200$. Have I given up on Microsoft, not yet. But I am close. I think alot of people are close. Only bright spot is 2016 cant be as bad as 2015. Or can it.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Went iPhone 6S+. Love it. my 640 is on 8.1 and it will stay there until they release a full working version of 10 OTA.
Until then, the iPhone is awesome. Note 5 is also awesome. I had it as well. sold it and went iPhone.
iPhone seems more secure since they don't have to wait for carrier to give out the update.
Also like having the latest OS. Note 5 is still on android 5.0 even though 6.0 came out like 5 months ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb