How do I make an Android phone Microsoft oriented and minimize Google services?

ToughD

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Things aren't looking good for Windows Phones so I might be getting a Galaxy S5. However I don't want all the Google apps nor their security intrusions. Basically I want to have all Microsoft apps and no Google apps. Is there a way to rid an Android phone of all the Google stuff and keep Google out of my phone security wise?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can probably disable most Google stuff (and if you root/use a custom ROM, even better, but don't get a carrier phone if you want to do that. ATT and Verizon lock down their models) but you'll want Google Play Services because many apps rely on it.

You can use Outlook for you calendar and email needs, sync your MS account with the built-in contacts app. (add it as an exchange account and only sync contacts.)

Install the Office apps you want, OneDrive, etc.
Get Cortana and set it as the default assistant if you can.
HERE Maps is available on the phone, but no Bing maps.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
of course it is possible. you can install MS's arrow launcher, and install all the MS apps. now you can enjoy full MS services on android just like you would on a WP. you can replace google app with Bing by default. it gives best of both world really. Thanks to satya.

ToughD

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for replies. I just might go to iPhone. I'm just not comfortable with Google's ways of tracking and such. Is there a way to turn off all that stuff that Google does on an Android? I know someone mentioned rooting the phone but how risky is that and where do I find reliable documentation for that?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to root your device. I just switched to Android (BlackBerry PRIV for me and an LG G4 for my wife) and am using Microsoft services on both. You can disable Google Apps from the settings of the device. I have Bing, Cortana, Office, OneDrive, etc all running.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
As others have pointed out, this is easy to do on Android. My biggest gripe was with Outlook for Android (Just never worked right) and also adding, deleting, editing contacts. All that fixed by setting up a Microsoft Exchange Client to point to your online Outlook account. I now have full control over my Outlook contacts, Outlook calendar, and of course Outlook mail. I use both Bing and Google for search and have Microsoft Office and OneDrive loaded as well. I need a gmail account for phone setup and for apps, but that's about it. Tried loads of launchers, but just like to keep it nice and simple with the stock Sony launcher. Love for Microsoft to do a Windows 10 style launcher for Android.

Anyway, this works very well and, dare I say, seamless between my Microsoft services and Windows 10 laptop.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I just moved from a L950 to a Nexus6P. Still trying to "move in". The biggest issue I see so far is with the Outlook app for Android.

I like to keep my work and private lives separate. I have my personal mail flowing into my Outlook.com account, along with my personal calendar items. I have my business mail flowing into my Gmail account along with my work calendar items. On WP, it worked fine. In getting ready to move to Android, I decided to import all my contacts from my MS account into Gmail so they're all in one place. But mail and calendars were left untouched.

Once I got my Nexus, I used my Google account and added my MS account, like stated, as an Exchange client. When I open the default android Mail app, I can switch inbox views between both accounts. No problem. When I open the default droid calendar app, I see items from both accounts populating my calendar...BUT, the calendar items from my MS account, all show as one color! So I can't distinguish say my "birthdays" calendar from my "kids" from my "personal". The calendar items from my Google account are color coded. I see no way to make the different calendar items from my MS account color coded.

Ok, I figured I'll try the Outlook app for Android instead. Mail, no problem, I get separate mail for both my MS and Gmail accounts. But the calendar, for some reason, I only get one of my three MS calendars showing up in the Outlook app. Any ideas why this might be?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa