How's security on Android?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to be giving Android a trial very soon (just waiting for it to come to me) and I'll like to know about security on it. How is it? Since I have only done Windows Phone, I was never concerned about security. At this time, I can't afford to give iPhone a trial, even though that would have been my ideal choice because it seems to be very secure.

Can Android be as secure as iPhone? Or are my concerns in vain? For reference, I'll be trying out the Nexus 5x that has stock Android.

nausky

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely, but with Android you have to think of it like a Windows PC. You have the freedom to do almost anything you want on Android, which can lead to bad things. The Nexus phones aren't as secure as say, the Verizon Galaxy phones because those are locked down tight to prevent user modification. Just be careful of what you install and store on it and you'll be fine.

Neither of the 3 Phone OSs offer business grade data security by default--in fact, neither iCloud or Google Drive even offer that service (HIPAA Compliance, which IMO is the gold standard). In the fine print they all say never put sensitive information on their cloud storage.

Google meets the same encryption expectations as Apple, the difference is by default your data is used (to your benefit and Google's) to tailor your experience. Microsoft does this too, but to a far less extent. I personally opt into all of these things as it's ridiculously convenient and kind of fun to have Google create albums based on trips I've been on and things like that. You can visit your account online to opt out though.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely, but with Android you have to think of it like a Windows PC. You have the freedom to do almost anything you want on Android, which can lead to bad things. The Nexus phones aren't as secure as say, the Verizon Galaxy phones because those are locked down tight to prevent user modification. Just be careful of what you install and store on it and you'll be fine.

Neither of the 3 Phone OSs offer business grade data security by default--in fact, neither iCloud or Google Drive even offer that service. In the fine print they all say never put sensitive information on their cloud storage.

Google meets the same encryption expectations as Apple, the difference is by default your data is used (to your benefit and Google's) to tailor your experience. Microsoft does this too, but to a far less extent. I personally opt into all of these things as it's ridiculously convenient and kind of fun to have Google create albums based on trips I've been on and things like that. You can visit your account online to opt out though.

Thanks for this. Ah, dang I really thought that Nexus would be an ideal experience. How do you win then? Many say that the Galaxy TouchWiz isn't good.

I'll be careful for what I install.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's the worst out of the three, but it's decent. Keeping on top of news, being up to date, and watching what you install is a good practice and probably all you need at this time.

I'd go Nexus and avoid carrier phones because the lock down of those models can hinder user functionality and ironically cause security issues down the line when carriers refuse to update the model. (and we can't just add an up to date custom ROM)

I wanted something smaller though so I got a factory unlocked and unbranded Galaxy and threw CM on it which is up to date. No carrier meddling here.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this. Ah, dang I really thought that Nexus would be an ideal experience. How do you win then? Many say that the Galaxy TouchWiz isn't good.

I'll be careful for what I install.

The Nexus is a great experience. Even though the risk might be higher, it is still extremely low. I've heard scenarios like this explained in this way: let's say I give you a penny. It is worthless. You cannot buy anything with it. Now, I give you another penny. I doubled your net worth, but you still cannot buy anything. Even though your cash is now doubled, it is still insignificant. I can even give you a nickel which is 5 times what you had, but it is still insignificant.

Even so, the difference in security that nausky was referring to is that Samsung Galaxy phones are more difficult to meddle with. Out of the box they are pretty much the same. Nexus devices are developer devices, which makes them easier to mod. If you don't mod, there's no difference in security between the two, and this doesn't apply to you.

nausky

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
In the end, none of it is a big deal. :) To a lot of users, the freedom of the Nexus device is what they want. It doesn't have a lot of the extras that Touchwiz has, so you'll see better performance in the long term.

The carrier makes a big difference. A T-Mobile Galaxy series phone won't be any more secure than a Nexus phone because it's unlocked, but you could modify it to be just as fast as vanilla Android. Verizon makes Samsung lock the phone down, making it difficult to remove/disable preinstalled apps and unused Touchwiz features.

nausky

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Even so, the difference in security that nausky was referring to is that Samsung Galaxy phones are more difficult to meddle with. Out of the box they are pretty much the same. Nexus devices are developer devices, which makes them easier to mod. If you don't mod, there's no difference in security between the two, and this doesn't apply to you.

Yes, none of the modification stuff really applies in this situation. I work for a HIPAA compliant organization, and we are actually not allowed to use rooted/jailbroken phones on our network. All for the small potential risk it adds. The tech team knows when they see a Verizon Note 5 that they can allow it on the network no problem, but for ex. my older phone, a Note 3 had to be examined before even being allowed to access email. And failed because I did root it.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
In simple terms with safe browsing and sticking with recommended apps from the playstore I would say risk in minimal.

I grabbed an Xperia Z1s about a year ago to supplement a need for certain apps and have never seen any hack or malware (yet)
My worst enemy on Android before discovering WP was me in years past with the rooting and becoming a custom ROM addict :)

As the guys over at AC always say:
Lock your phone
Lock your phone
Lock your phone

Good luck!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You all are amazing, thank you! I probably wouldn't be rooting anything, because that's eh, not for me. It sounds like work I'm not willing to do. I'm learning a lot here. It's going to arrive today so I'll follow all of your directions when I have a chance to set it up.

I have been reading AC too, but I figured that here would be a lot easier for me to ask a question like this,

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I want to plug Nexus phones because they're often first to get security patches anyway.

Rooting on those phones is optional anyway.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I want to plug Nexus phones because they're often first to get security patches anyway.

Rooting on those phones is optional anyway.

Good to know! I love the fact that the new ones work on pretty much any carrier, and are updated. My mom and my sister have Android, but I don't think they have ever had any updates (sis is on Verizon with a Galaxy phone, mom is on some Alatcel phone with T-Mo).

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with malware, but I don't download apps from dodgy sites or visit dodgy sites. I don't use any security apps other than what's built into Android.

You might want to check out these articles.
Five basic steps for protecting your Android device from viruses | Android Central
Whats the difference between Android malware, spyware, adware and a virus? | Android Central
Antivirus for Android ? do you need it? | Android Central

That's great to know, and thank you for the useful links. I have read all of them, and that makes me feel more at ease.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree with Nausky above.
Android is closely resembling the full Windows, security wise.
If you use it in logical reasons, then you have nothing to worry about. Much like with your PC.

And if you operate in logical reasons, don't install those miracle apps offering "2086% battery improvement" or "run your games 58,76% faster" or "antivirus" etc.. Much like on desktop Windows!

If you go through a ton of malicious websites, install apps from unknown sources then you have your recipe for viruses and malwares, on both systems.

I guess I'm trying to say just use the same caution as you do on your PC, not more but certainly not less!!

Oh, and also I advice you to install firefox browser and an add-on called "ublock origins" in order to help you stay of the intrusive ads!
Just some thought for the mind, uBlock origin has blocked 8136 ads or 12% of my whole browsing consumption in less than a month that I have the moto G3..!

And a last thing..
Buy a phone with as little bloatware as possible..!
With a device like the Moto X play (or however else it is called in USA) you can't go wrong :) The battery is 3600mAh which is HUUUUUGE!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You want a secure Android, or as close to it as possible? Get a Priv. It gets monthly OTA security updates straight from BB with or without carrier consent.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Even Motorola phones get the stock OS and patches.
I'm glad for that, and I almost considered the new Moto G too.

You want a secure Android, or as close to it as possible? Get a Priv. It gets monthly OTA security updates straight from BB with or without carrier consent.
This is a great suggestion. Personally I'm not a fan of the look or the weight of it. Not a fan of the look of the rumored Vienna either, but who knows? They might release something I like.

I completely agree with Nausky above.
Android is closely resembling the full Windows, security wise.
If you use it in logical reasons, then you have nothing to worry about. Much like with your PC.

And if you operate in logical reasons, don't install those miracle apps offering "2086% battery improvement" or "run your games 58,76% faster" or "antivirus" etc.. Much like on desktop Windows!

If you go through a ton of malicious websites, install apps from unknown sources then you have your recipe for viruses and malwares, on both systems.

I guess I'm trying to say just use the same caution as you do on your PC, not more but certainly not less!!

Oh, and also I advice you to install firefox browser and an add-on called "ublock origins" in order to help you stay of the intrusive ads!
Just some thought for the mind, uBlock origin has blocked 8136 ads or 12% of my whole browsing consumption in less than a month that I have the moto G3..!

And a last thing..
Buy a phone with as little bloatware as possible..!
With a device like the Moto X play (or however else it is called in USA) you can't go wrong :) The battery is 3600mAh which is HUUUUUGE!
Thank you for the tips, I will look into FF and ublock origins! So far, I'm liking the Nexus 5x, which has no bloatware. The Moto X Play sounds great but it was just way too big for me to ever consider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa