Goodbye... and hello from the other side

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, I said in the "thinking of switching" thread I was thinking of switching, and I have switched. In place of my Icon running Insider builds I now have a new Galaxy S7 running Android 6.0.1.

I gave my reasons in that other post, here I would like just to note my initial reactions. Basically, it's way better than I thought it would be.

The handset:

... is beautiful. Thinner, lighter, sleeker and more powerful than my Icon, sort of what I imagined a Surface Phone would be like. The body is metal and glass, the buttons feel very solid, the display is amazing, and although I haven't experimented much yet, the camera seems at least as good as the Icon's. I don't miss the camera button because I can go directly from locked to camera by double-clicking the home button. I prefer the separate volume buttons to the Icon's rocker. And I absolutely don't miss the search button, because I was always hitting it inadvertently, like when I handed the phone to someone to take a picture for me. I always wished I could disable the search button when in an app... And I can get to search on this phone by long-pressing the home button.

The O/S:

... isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I do miss the live tiles but I get live wallpaper ;) The app drawer and the home screens are okay, not that different in principle from the app list and the start screen on WP. And some things seem just a little more polished than on WP, the notification center for example.

The apps and the app store:

... well, here's the big win of course. Every app I need is there, and many of them are superior to their WP counterparts (where such exist). The store tracks my download history and shows me the update history of the apps. There's a lot of junk in there of course, and a lot of them are not as good looking as WP apps, which I think tend to have better typography and crisper graphics. But I don't have to wonder if an app I want is there (or assume it isn't and try to make do).

Bottom line is, I hadn't really been aware how much I've been making do, settling for less, accepting limitations. It feels like a layer of stress is gone, now that I'm not checking Windows Central six times a day, looking for some scrap of good news, or struggling with mobile web pages trying to get something done.

So goodbye to Windows Central, and thank you all.Thanks to the writers for the top-notch content and the dedication to us readers. And thanks to the community, which I found intelligent, engaged, and generous. You have helped me out more than once. I can only say "Good night, and good luck" ;)

P.S. here's my new home screen.

Screenshot_20160328-133235.jpg

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well good luck with your new phone... Thou I love windows phones... And use android phones as well...thou android is very fast and all initially later u get lags and app crashes...that way windows mobile is way better and fluid...soo my main phone is Lumia 950 and 2nd is lg g4..iam too deciding between LG G5 and Samsung S7 edge...

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line is, I hadn't really been aware how much I've been making do, settling for less, accepting limitations. It feels like a layer of stress is gone, now that I'm not checking Windows Central six times a day, looking for some scrap of good news, or struggling with mobile web pages trying to get something done.
I hear ya :smile:

I suspect what's going to happen is that the Windows Phone user base is going to slowly trickle away until it's left with those that are hardcore enthusiasts who are not bothered by app parity.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I was a hardcore user/fan. I am going to android, and the "later its going to crash and go slow thing is over with now." That mostly happened to Samsung phones running ICS or earlier, and people who root their phones and load stuff that's not been made for their phones. My note ran like crap after everyone said root it and install a clean android system. Before I did that it worked great.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Welllllllllll.........I got reeled back in, AGAIN! 950xl and 950. I am afraid of having an android phone. I love WP, and hope they pull SOMETHING out of their asses. NOW, that being said, they offered 200 bucks a 1020 for trade, and also they updated past 164 on my 1020 too. So, that is really weird. hmmmm. Also, they showed the IOS app ported to UWA this week. SO maybe, Just maybe......islandwood will live and get the apps porting over!

ZoneofJhay

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Android is a much mature OS for smartphone compared to WP. I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy your experience. Windows is a much better OS on tablet though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon