My thoughts on the new Android purchase for my GF

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
As my GF's humble lumia 525 started to freak out for some reason (even after a hard reset, it would not sync contacts, some options greyed out, outlook crashes back to home screen), I decided to get her a new phone. This time around I did a little research and found a good deal on a xiaomi redmi 2 prime running Android 4..4.4.

After setting it up, I found the experience to be so smooth. Having used to my Lumia 640, the Android experience was a breeze even with an old version. Windows 10 mobile still needs a lot of polish to get into a stable state and I just love fiddling with the device just to check on it's options etc.

I have to say that the office apps on android are better felt than office on windows, and with a fully working maps app here in Sri Lanka i feel Windows needs a lot of cutting and polishing to meet it's competition head on.

xeraphael

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Just keep in mind that the Redmi 2 Prime is running on Cortex-A53 cores (not A7) and has double the RAM of the Lumia 640. Not to mention it's stuck on an obsolete version of Android unless you root the device.

But I do agree with the maps comment, Microsoft really needs to catch up with Google in the mapping department.

Sent from mTalk

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, I guess you're happy with the phone.

How does your girlfriend get on with it, or haven't you let her have it yet...?

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Ha Ha, yeah the maps app is no where near google maps. If MS allows us to add places via the maps app when we visit places it will increase the amount of places mapped. well she's happy with it compared to the Lumia 525. now viber , whatsapp just works. all notifications arrive on time. SMSs get delivered then & there. not going to root the device if it's working as it should with the old version.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Just wait a few months. That is the worst android version in history. I hated it, it was great at first but just slows down and becomes a horrible experience over time. You should have went for something that has at least lollipop. There are plenty of cheap devices that even have Marshmallow.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I believe the Moto G3 or G4 would have been better choices, especially better than being stuck on 4.x. Good to know you liked the device though.

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the feedback guys, even though it's the worst version of android (according to you guys) , it still gets the job done. wishing windows anniversary update will refresh my L640...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had no issues with KitKat either. Early Lollipop builds (5.0.x) had memory leak issues. Lollipop got stable, and the memory leaks disappeared in 5.1.x.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I had no issues with KitKat either. Early Lollipop builds (5.0.x) had memory leak issues. Lollipop got stable, and the memory leaks disappeared in 5.1.x.

A bit off topic, but I wonder if carriers will at some point be sued for failing to provide security updates to phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers