09-29-2017 11:56 AM
88 1234
tools
    OnePlus 3T is a great option...for geeks or power users, at least that's what I've deduced from all the comments from AP and AC. Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't OnePlus plagued by software issues unlike from other big-time manufacturers?

Personally, I was thinking about switching to the OnePlus 3T from my S7E, not because I don't like my S7E but because I've a "switch phones every month" problem ^_^
    I hear a lot of good things about the OnePlus 3/3T. LOL, same.

Lol ...
    Member of that club myself.
    Yep, I know it (for you and me) haha.
    Last edited by pankaj981; 03-31-2017 at 01:56 PM.
    03-31-2017 10:41 AM
    I recently ditched my Icon for a Cricket-exclusive Samsung that was released for $149 over a year ago.

It's nowhere near the Icon in hardware performance, but since this post is about the OS I won't go into that. The OS is an improvement in some ways. I'm not fiddling with it to get things to work, it has app support, and the apps I'm getting don't crash for no apparent reason.

I do miss Cortana. It's there but just not the same. It seems Android M has no innate support for reading texts aloud when connected to Bluetooth, which was my most heavily used Cortana feature and doesn't appear to be present in Cortana for Android. I'm going to try a few other third party apps, I guess.
    04-14-2017 03:26 PM
    I've used plenty of Android devices. Got bored.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
    04-14-2017 04:50 PM
    I hear a lot of good things about the OnePlus 3/3T. LOL, same.

Yep, I know it (for you and me) haha.
    No way sweetie. You're a weekly switcher like me, no use denying it.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    04-14-2017 05:59 PM
    No way sweetie. You're a weekly switcher like me, no use denying it.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
    LOL!

I was but the Pixel kind of broke me, for now. The 2 days I used my SE because I was selling my Pixel while waiting on another felt odd.
    04-14-2017 11:27 PM
    LOL!

I was but the Pixel kind of broke me, for now. The 2 days I used my SE because I was selling my Pixel while waiting on another felt odd.
    Guess Apple isn't what it used to be(!?)
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    04-17-2017 11:00 AM
    I think it's more that Android caught up.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    04-17-2017 11:15 AM
    Haha, I think it's more on me this time. The SE hits the spot 90% for me, but I would say that the Pixel hits it 95%. For me, it comes down to the little things. I noticed the collection of little things that are different between the 2 in that short time frame and that made it feel odd to me.
    04-17-2017 11:20 AM
    Yeah I feel like android has really matured over the past couple of updates. It certainly meets my current needs and enjoy the customizability. IOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.
    04-17-2017 11:21 AM
    IOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.
    That's pretty much where I'm at. I originally went with Android due to lower cost, even though iOS was arguably better at the time. Recently I've been using iPhone-priced Android flagships, so cost is no longer the issue.

In my experience, iOS and Android are now about the same. Since I've been using Android, I continue to use it. It wouldn't take a lot to make me consider switching though.
    libra89, Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    04-17-2017 11:35 AM
    Yeah, at least when it comes to smaller phone options. The Pixel is pretty much the only small phone that provides a solid experience all around. The time the SE was released last year, there was nothing. I'll even say that there wasn't anything comparable until the Pixel was released. There were a couple that are still good and also close but nothing for me to consider, aside from the Honor 8. (The S7 is nice but the battery life was/is bad so it's never been on my list.)

Yeah I feel like android has really matured over the past couple of updates. It certainly meets my current needs and enjoy the customizability. iOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.
    I agree, it has. On a general level, it's weird how varied it is though between devices on Android but each of the versions seem to have improved on various things. Like Doze on MM was a start but it's better now on Nougat.
    Yeah I feel like android has really matured over the past couple of updates. It certainly meets my current needs and enjoy the customizability. IOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.
    It may be nitpicking but one of the biggest gripes I have with iOS is the very limited functionality of their default apps. At least Android gives you the choice to open a file with optional apps. Apple is way behind in this aspect. If they're going to be so app-centric then they need to allow those 3rd party apps to be involved.
    It may be nitpicking but one of the biggest gripes I have with iOS is the very limited functionality of their default apps. At least Android gives you the choice to open a file with optional apps. Apple is way behind in this aspect. If they're going to be so app-centric then they need to allow those 3rd party apps to be involved.
    That is one of my gripes with iOS as well. But to the average consumer, I would guess it's not an issue.

To be fair, iOS for the most part does what it needs to do, and does it simply and efficiently. There is a reason why it is the go-to for enterprise. It is a good combination of performance, capability, simplicity, security, and reliability. Support is second to none, and upgrades appear like clockwork.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-17-2017 11:52 AM
    Gonna have to agree to disagree with you on this one.
    04-17-2017 12:00 PM
    That's pretty much where I'm at. I originally went with Android due to lower cost, even though iOS was arguably better at the time. Recently I've been using iPhone-priced Android flagships, so cost is no longer the issue.

In my experience, iOS and Android are now about the same. Since I've been using Android, I continue to use it. It wouldn't take a lot to make me consider switching though.
    It's interesting that you say that. I think if the SE was refreshed, I know that I would upgrade. It would be without question. If some of my little things that make me want to use the Pixel over the SE would improve in this refresh, I could see myself switching back in an instant.

The little things that made me choose the Pixel (over the SE for the moment) are the following:

-Correcting typos is easier on the Pixel. If I make a typo, I am used to attempting a finger dance to correct it or just erasing the whole sentence and retyping it on the SE.
    -Front camera is better, like it's the best I have ever had! Low light is nice too on both.
    -The radios are excellent. Work sucks and the WiFi drops all the time, but that never happens anymore with this phone. I can even watch Instagram stories on my break without it being pointless.

That's it, but those are things I noticed a lot. It's hard to go back to dropping WiFi and doing the finger dance after having such improvements.
    tgp, Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    04-17-2017 12:07 PM
    While I absolutely agree, I'm not sure the average consumer does. My wife HATES every phone I get from my BlackBerry to my Android to my windows phones. The one thing I will give iOS is it just works out of the box. It may be limited in some respects but you know what you get for the most part. She doesn't like to tinker and she doesn't do much outside of taking tons of pictures and social media etc. iOS shines with this. I like to tinker, constantly customizing and changing things and it drives her crazy because it's never the same when she goes to use my device. They've also perfected people into keeping them in the Apple ecosystem with some of these changes I've found.

Will I ever switch to it as a daily driver? I'm not sure...I could...but I don't think I want to.
    04-17-2017 03:50 PM
    While I absolutely agree, I'm not sure the average consumer does. My wife HATES every phone I get from my BlackBerry to my Android to my windows phones. The one thing I will give iOS is it just works out of the box. It may be limited in some respects but you know what you get for the most part. She doesn't like to tinker and she doesn't do much outside of taking tons of pictures and social media etc. iOS shines with this. I like to tinker, constantly customizing and changing things and it drives her crazy because it's never the same when she goes to use my device. They've also perfected people into keeping them in the Apple ecosystem with some of these changes I've found.

Will I ever switch to it as a daily driver? I'm not sure...I could...but I don't think I want to.
    I hear what you're saying and agree for the most part. But that "it just works" argument ranks right up there with the "Windows is just a virus-infested OS". Tell a lie enough times it becomes the truth. Apple doesn't "just work", it's hamstrung on so many levels that people think there's no other way to do things. Your wife and mine are cut from the same cloth. She hated Android and didn't care too much for Windows. She was a webOS lover like me and only recently did I talk her into an iPhone. Being such a simple device, she likes it. But every time she needs to do something out of the ordinary, like attach a couple of Word docs for school, she's totally lost.

For most people, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and some YouTube are all they do and the iPhone is stellar for these purposes. I've always said their apps stand head and shoulders above the rest and coupled with the limited scope of iOS, sure, it just works for most. But for gearheads and technofreaks like us.....we know better.
    04-17-2017 04:13 PM
    I hear what you're saying and agree for the most part. But that "it just works" argument ranks right up there with the "Windows is just a virus-infested OS". Tell a lie enough times it becomes the truth. Apple doesn't "just work", it's hamstrung on so many levels that people think there's no other way to do things. Your wife and mine are cut from the same cloth. She hated Android and didn't care too much for Windows. She was a webOS lover like me and only recently did I talk her into an iPhone. Being such a simple device, she likes it. But every time she needs to do something out of the ordinary, like attach a couple of Word docs for school, she's totally lost.

For most people, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and some YouTube are all they do and the iPhone is stellar for these purposes. I've always said their apps stand head and shoulders above the rest and coupled with the limited scope of iOS, sure, it just works for most. But for gearheads and technofreaks like us.....we know better.
    Oh absolutely I agree with you on that. I think a lot of people just think "hey a phone cant add the docs" or something and chalk it up to that. It's more the basic features of a phone that they really shine at and like you said the social media apps are really polished to appeal to this large market.

But I agree there is better for us.
    fatclue_98 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-17-2017 04:47 PM
    Oh absolutely I agree with you on that. I think a lot of people just think "hey a phone cant add the docs" or something and chalk it up to that. It's more the basic features of a phone that they really shine at and like you said the social media apps are really polished to appeal to this large market.

But I agree there is better for us.
    I think that's why it's always hard to find an OS that really suits everyone. I dual use (Windows and Android) because combined I get what is my best fit. While social media, camera, internet and casual gaming are​ limited ways to use these powerful devices, people will always buy what they want to use what they like.
    04-17-2017 05:14 PM
    I dual use (Windows and Android) because combined I get what is my best fit.
    You just ticked off every fanboy in existence. Using each OS to its strengths, what a concept!
    04-17-2017 05:32 PM
    It's more the basic features of a phone that they really shine at and like you said the social media apps are really polished to appeal to this large market.
    You hit the nail on the head of why I have a problem with iPhones being labeled as "smartphones". Don't get me wrong, they're quite capable if the right apps are added. But out of the box, they're iPods with a phone app.
    Laura Knotek and Timbre70 like this.
    04-17-2017 05:37 PM
    Couldn't agree more. I have little interest in social media so that's never been a big determining factor for me. I'm more interested in using my device to make work easier and I also enjoy new technology and tinkering. For that I go through lots of different devices trying to find the perfect fit. You can almost guarantee that I'm dual wielding devices though to get that fit.
    Laura Knotek and fatclue_98 like this.
    04-17-2017 05:40 PM
    You just ticked off every fanboy in existence. Using each OS to its strengths, what a concept!
    It's more fun to complain about what the OS cannot do, even when you knew about those limitations​ going in...
    04-17-2017 07:24 PM
    You hit the nail on the head of why I have a problem with iPhones being labeled as "smartphones". Don't get me wrong, they're quite capable if the right apps are added. But out of the box, they're iPods with a phone app.
    I agree with Apple doing it as they did because they wanted to tailor their business to a niche brand of consumer and entrench their hands in those people's wallets permanently.

I stopped using iOS a long time ago - my last iPhone was the iPhone 4 - because there was a visual staleness for the UI and I was suffering from too much app fatigue. Plus I didn't like how Apple was thumbing their nose at Cydia. I like how both Windows (for worse) and Android (for somewhat better) have had improvements to their UIs that took away that stale feeling in my eyes over the years.

Again, people like what they like...If you work from an app paradigm, iOS still is in charge. If you want a more custom experience, Android offers that. If you wanted different, there's Windows.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    04-17-2017 11:09 PM
    I just replaced my HP Stream 8 with a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" tablet. Love the size and how fast it is.

thinking of selling my Mint 950 xl and docking station and picking up the OnePlus 3t Android phone.
    04-18-2017 03:37 PM
88 1234