Who has switched to something Android and is enjoying it?

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
yes unfortunately MS have screwed the pooch so many times now with mobile. Even when something good comes along they take so long to get their **** together and actually android or ios come to market with it first. Dex being released on the S8 today is a big kick in the nuts for continuum, ms are just too slow and getting these products to market and for Samsung to come out and say Dex is where its at with the help of Microsoft really makes you wonder why stay with Microsoft for anything mobile anymore.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
From what I know now I'm thinking my best options are to consider the Samsung S8 and Nokia 8. Leaning more towards the Nokia as I like to have something a little different but I will have to look into what both offer.
I wouldn't hold my breath over Nokia. Its not the same company, neither it has the same manufacturing process as the original one. Choosing Nokia would actually be a compromise and my understanding is...you are switching platforms because you don't want to compromise anymore. Go with a Galaxy S7 or S8, or an HTC 10 or Pixel, you will be content atleast till the next shiny thing is released 2 years from now.

ak_r7

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Been with WP since Lumia 800 was released. Then had a 1020 and currently a 950XL.

I love the WP UI and have dealt with the app gap. Being 25 people always are dumbfounded when they find out I don't have Snapchat but thats the least of my worries.

Spotify - Constantly buggy, refusing to load have to soft reset to fix. I find this happens with some other apps too.

ING Direct pulled support for their banking app. Bookmarking their mobile site works but isn't ideal.

Facebook and Messenger are still buggy and slow compared to iOS and Android. No real complaints about Instagram though.

Zonos works okay for my Sonos but still can be a little hit and miss.

Sometimes when the phone receives a notification it will freeze and get stuck vibrating and making a continuous buzzing from the stalled notification. Again soft reset.

Everything else is more or less fine, well what I can think of anyway. Besides, this is nothing compared to the other issues we have faced over the years but I'm just starting to get a little fed up as in the last month:

- Camera won't focus (pretty much unusable now). In and out of focus constantly, seems hardware related but I don't know.

- Maps navigation stopped working (No GPS Signal), Other nab apps still working.

- Cracked my screen today (first I've cracked since iPhone 3 :crying:)

Was going to wait to see if any kind of surface phone actually came to fruition but now I've just seen we could have a Nokia 8 coming that looks interesting and I'm pretty fed up at this point anyway. 6 years of bug squatting and juggling hot potatoes has taken a toll.

So my question is, what Android devices have people been happy with after switching from WP? Particularly from the 950XL.

Is there anything I might miss that I haven't thought about? Does Android allow you to integrate with OneDrive at all so I can avoid transferring everything? All my contacts are associated with gmail so that is fine.

Any word on when Nokia 8 will be announced? Haven't found a whole lot.

Sorry for the long post but looking forward to hearing people opinions.

Cheers
Bev

If you have money, go for iphone (if you like IOS)
For android- One plus 3T is best bang for buck!!!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If you have money, go for iphone (if you like IOS)
For android- One plus 3T is best bang for buck!!!
OnePlus 3T is a great option...for geeks or power users, at least that's what I've deduced from all the comments from AP and AC. Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't OnePlus plagued by software issues unlike from other big-time manufacturers?

Personally, I was thinking about switching to the OnePlus 3T from my S7E, not because I don't like my S7E but because I've a "switch phones every month" problem ^_^

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
OnePlus 3T is a great option...for geeks or power users, at least that's what I've deduced from all the comments from AP and AC. Again, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but isn't OnePlus plagued by software issues unlike from other big-time manufacturers?

Personally, I was thinking about switching to the OnePlus 3T from my S7E, not because I don't like my S7E but because I've a "switch phones every month" problem ^_^
I hear a lot of good things about the OnePlus 3/3T. LOL, same.

Lol ...
Member of that club myself.
Yep, I know it (for you and me) haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

js14873

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I recently ditched my Icon for a Cricket-exclusive Samsung that was released for $149 over a year ago.

It's nowhere near the Icon in hardware performance, but since this post is about the OS I won't go into that. The OS is an improvement in some ways. I'm not fiddling with it to get things to work, it has app support, and the apps I'm getting don't crash for no apparent reason.

I do miss Cortana. It's there but just not the same. It seems Android M has no innate support for reading texts aloud when connected to Bluetooth, which was my most heavily used Cortana feature and doesn't appear to be present in Cortana for Android. I'm going to try a few other third party apps, I guess.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
No way sweetie. You're a weekly switcher like me, no use denying it.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
LOL!

I was but the Pixel kind of broke me, for now. The 2 days I used my SE because I was selling my Pixel while waiting on another felt odd.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Guess Apple isn't what it used to be(!?)

Haha, I think it's more on me this time. The SE hits the spot 90% for me, but I would say that the Pixel hits it 95%. For me, it comes down to the little things. I noticed the collection of little things that are different between the 2 in that short time frame and that made it feel odd to me.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I feel like android has really matured over the past couple of updates. It certainly meets my current needs and enjoy the customizability. IOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
IOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I originally went with Android due to lower cost, even though iOS was arguably better at the time. Recently I've been using iPhone-priced Android flagships, so cost is no longer the issue.

In my experience, iOS and Android are now about the same. Since I've been using Android, I continue to use it. It wouldn't take a lot to make me consider switching though.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think it's more that Android caught up.

Yeah, at least when it comes to smaller phone options. The Pixel is pretty much the only small phone that provides a solid experience all around. The time the SE was released last year, there was nothing. I'll even say that there wasn't anything comparable until the Pixel was released. There were a couple that are still good and also close but nothing for me to consider, aside from the Honor 8. (The S7 is nice but the battery life was/is bad so it's never been on my list.)

Yeah I feel like android has really matured over the past couple of updates. It certainly meets my current needs and enjoy the customizability. iOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.

I agree, it has. On a general level, it's weird how varied it is though between devices on Android but each of the versions seem to have improved on various things. Like Doze on MM was a start but it's better now on Nougat.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I feel like android has really matured over the past couple of updates. It certainly meets my current needs and enjoy the customizability. IOS is pretty good as well and could easily use either for my day to day needs.

It may be nitpicking but one of the biggest gripes I have with iOS is the very limited functionality of their default apps. At least Android gives you the choice to open a file with optional apps. Apple is way behind in this aspect. If they're going to be so app-centric then they need to allow those 3rd party apps to be involved.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It may be nitpicking but one of the biggest gripes I have with iOS is the very limited functionality of their default apps. At least Android gives you the choice to open a file with optional apps. Apple is way behind in this aspect. If they're going to be so app-centric then they need to allow those 3rd party apps to be involved.

That is one of my gripes with iOS as well. But to the average consumer, I would guess it's not an issue.

To be fair, iOS for the most part does what it needs to do, and does it simply and efficiently. There is a reason why it is the go-to for enterprise. It is a good combination of performance, capability, simplicity, security, and reliability. Support is second to none, and upgrades appear like clockwork.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's pretty much where I'm at. I originally went with Android due to lower cost, even though iOS was arguably better at the time. Recently I've been using iPhone-priced Android flagships, so cost is no longer the issue.

In my experience, iOS and Android are now about the same. Since I've been using Android, I continue to use it. It wouldn't take a lot to make me consider switching though.

It's interesting that you say that. I think if the SE was refreshed, I know that I would upgrade. It would be without question. If some of my little things that make me want to use the Pixel over the SE would improve in this refresh, I could see myself switching back in an instant.

The little things that made me choose the Pixel (over the SE for the moment) are the following:

-Correcting typos is easier on the Pixel. If I make a typo, I am used to attempting a finger dance to correct it or just erasing the whole sentence and retyping it on the SE.
-Front camera is better, like it's the best I have ever had! Low light is nice too on both.
-The radios are excellent. Work sucks and the WiFi drops all the time, but that never happens anymore with this phone. I can even watch Instagram stories on my break without it being pointless.

That's it, but those are things I noticed a lot. It's hard to go back to dropping WiFi and doing the finger dance after having such improvements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa