Who has switched to something Android and is enjoying it?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
It may be nitpicking but one of the biggest gripes I have with iOS is the very limited functionality of their default apps. At least Android gives you the choice to open a file with optional apps. Apple is way behind in this aspect. If they're going to be so app-centric then they need to allow those 3rd party apps to be involved.

While I absolutely agree, I'm not sure the average consumer does. My wife HATES every phone I get from my BlackBerry to my Android to my windows phones. The one thing I will give iOS is it just works out of the box. It may be limited in some respects but you know what you get for the most part. She doesn't like to tinker and she doesn't do much outside of taking tons of pictures and social media etc. iOS shines with this. I like to tinker, constantly customizing and changing things and it drives her crazy because it's never the same when she goes to use my device. They've also perfected people into keeping them in the Apple ecosystem with some of these changes I've found.

Will I ever switch to it as a daily driver? I'm not sure...I could...but I don't think I want to.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
While I absolutely agree, I'm not sure the average consumer does. My wife HATES every phone I get from my BlackBerry to my Android to my windows phones. The one thing I will give iOS is it just works out of the box. It may be limited in some respects but you know what you get for the most part. She doesn't like to tinker and she doesn't do much outside of taking tons of pictures and social media etc. iOS shines with this. I like to tinker, constantly customizing and changing things and it drives her crazy because it's never the same when she goes to use my device. They've also perfected people into keeping them in the Apple ecosystem with some of these changes I've found.

Will I ever switch to it as a daily driver? I'm not sure...I could...but I don't think I want to.
I hear what you're saying and agree for the most part. But that "it just works" argument ranks right up there with the "Windows is just a virus-infested OS". Tell a lie enough times it becomes the truth. Apple doesn't "just work", it's hamstrung on so many levels that people think there's no other way to do things. Your wife and mine are cut from the same cloth. She hated Android and didn't care too much for Windows. She was a webOS lover like me and only recently did I talk her into an iPhone. Being such a simple device, she likes it. But every time she needs to do something out of the ordinary, like attach a couple of Word docs for school, she's totally lost.

For most people, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and some YouTube are all they do and the iPhone is stellar for these purposes. I've always said their apps stand head and shoulders above the rest and coupled with the limited scope of iOS, sure, it just works for most. But for gearheads and technofreaks like us.....we know better.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I hear what you're saying and agree for the most part. But that "it just works" argument ranks right up there with the "Windows is just a virus-infested OS". Tell a lie enough times it becomes the truth. Apple doesn't "just work", it's hamstrung on so many levels that people think there's no other way to do things. Your wife and mine are cut from the same cloth. She hated Android and didn't care too much for Windows. She was a webOS lover like me and only recently did I talk her into an iPhone. Being such a simple device, she likes it. But every time she needs to do something out of the ordinary, like attach a couple of Word docs for school, she's totally lost.

For most people, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and some YouTube are all they do and the iPhone is stellar for these purposes. I've always said their apps stand head and shoulders above the rest and coupled with the limited scope of iOS, sure, it just works for most. But for gearheads and technofreaks like us.....we know better.

Oh absolutely I agree with you on that. I think a lot of people just think "hey a phone cant add the docs" or something and chalk it up to that. It's more the basic features of a phone that they really shine at and like you said the social media apps are really polished to appeal to this large market.

But I agree there is better for us.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh absolutely I agree with you on that. I think a lot of people just think "hey a phone cant add the docs" or something and chalk it up to that. It's more the basic features of a phone that they really shine at and like you said the social media apps are really polished to appeal to this large market.

But I agree there is better for us.
I think that's why it's always hard to find an OS that really suits everyone. I dual use (Windows and Android) because combined I get what is my best fit. While social media, camera, internet and casual gaming are​ limited ways to use these powerful devices, people will always buy what they want to use what they like.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's more the basic features of a phone that they really shine at and like you said the social media apps are really polished to appeal to this large market.
You hit the nail on the head of why I have a problem with iPhones being labeled as "smartphones". Don't get me wrong, they're quite capable if the right apps are added. But out of the box, they're iPods with a phone app.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I have little interest in social media so that's never been a big determining factor for me. I'm more interested in using my device to make work easier and I also enjoy new technology and tinkering. For that I go through lots of different devices trying to find the perfect fit. You can almost guarantee that I'm dual wielding devices though to get that fit.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head of why I have a problem with iPhones being labeled as "smartphones". Don't get me wrong, they're quite capable if the right apps are added. But out of the box, they're iPods with a phone app.
I agree with Apple doing it as they did because they wanted to tailor their business to a niche brand of consumer and entrench their hands in those people's wallets permanently.

I stopped using iOS a long time ago - my last iPhone was the iPhone 4 - because there was a visual staleness for the UI and I was suffering from too much app fatigue. Plus I didn't like how Apple was thumbing their nose at Cydia. I like how both Windows (for worse) and Android (for somewhat better) have had improvements to their UIs that took away that stale feeling in my eyes over the years.

Again, people like what they like...If you work from an app paradigm, iOS still is in charge. If you want a more custom experience, Android offers that. If you wanted different, there's Windows.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I just replaced my HP Stream 8 with a Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" tablet. Love the size and how fast it is.

thinking of selling my Mint 950 xl and docking station and picking up the OnePlus 3t Android phone.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, they're quite capable if the right apps are added. But out of the box, they're iPods with a phone app.

Isn't that the case with all current smartphones? Some come with productive apps (read bloatware) preinstalled. Apps make a smartphone...a smartphone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that the case with all current smartphones? Some come with productive apps (read bloatware) preinstalled. Apps make a smartphone...a smartphone.
Hardly.

If you have an iPhone and someone sends you a Word doc or Excel spreadsheet to review and make corrections, you're outta gas unless you have downloaded an appropriate editing app. Most Androids with the "bloatware" you speak of have some form of doc editing built in. Samsung has Office onboard and obviously so does Windows.

That's only one example. There are many more I could list but that serves no purpose. The iPhone is a very capable device for most users as I've stated many times but the notion that adding apps to accomplish what others do natively is biting Apple's bait. They have made a mint by convincing users (aka suckers) that you need to have all these wonderful apps and they should be commended for their marketing prowess. "There's an app for that" was sheer genius. You seem to believe it too.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
"There's an app for that" was sheer genius. You seem to believe it too.

Well yeah, I do believe it because that's what reality is today. W10M or Windows itself doesn't have native Office integration anymore. So doesn't Samsung or any Android. Google Docs or Sheets that are natively bundled with Pixel/Nexus devices are again standalone apps.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

That certainly is what they want you to believe and buy into. That's how they make their money, by hooking you into their ecosystem.

It reminds me of automobiles. They don't make the most money on the vehicle, they make it on the extras. The heated leather seats, the infotainment system, etc. Just watch car commercials. They can't talk about getting you from point A to B, because any car can do that. They sell you on the extras. Now I'm not saying apps or extras on cars aren't useful or fun, just that they're not necessary. I believe what makes a smartphone is PIM functions that keep you connected while mobile. Or we can believe the commercials and keep giving them more money.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
That certainly is what they want you to believe and buy into. That's how they make their money, by hooking you into their ecosystem.

It reminds me of automobiles. They don't make the most money on the vehicle, they make it on the extras. The heated leather seats, the infotainment system, etc. Just watch car commercials. They can't talk about getting you from point A to B, because any car can do that. They sell you on the extras. Now I'm not saying apps or extras on cars aren't useful or fun, just that they're not necessary. I believe what makes a smartphone is PIM functions that keep you connected while mobile. Or we can believe the commercials and keep giving them more money.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4
Okay so what do you think a smartphone should at least let you do natively minus any apps?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Well yeah, I do believe it because that's what reality is today. W10M or Windows itself doesn't have native Office integration anymore. So doesn't Samsung or any Android. Google Docs or Sheets that are natively bundled with Pixel/Nexus devices are again standalone apps.

Oh? I start a Word doc on my phone and I can pick up where I left off on my PC. I've never used Google Docs or Sheets so I won't comment but I assume they have editing capability. Either way, they come as standard and whether they're standalone or not is irrelevant.

My point has been about iOS since the get go. Apple has managed to convince users that iPhones and iPads are capable of anything under the sun because there are apps for everything.......for a price. For as much as they charge for their gadgets, they are obscenely barren out of the box. Automatic, A/C and power windows have been standard equipment on all but a few econoboxes. Apple still sells with 5-speeds and crank windows.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay so what do you think a smartphone should at least let you do natively minus any apps?

Besides PIM, I expect full email capability, fully-featured document handling, full cloud integration, a robust file management system, user-defined imaging, mapping with offline maps and self-contained music management without the need for a PC.

Windows 10 Mobile checks every one of those boxes, some high end Androids do too. Apple misses on 6 of the 8.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Besides PIM, I expect full email capability, fully-featured document handling, full cloud integration, a robust file management system, user-defined imaging, mapping with offline maps and self-contained music management without the need for a PC.

Windows 10 Mobile checks every one of those boxes, some high end Androids do too. Apple misses on 6 of the 8.
Android has all of those features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte