Galaxy Dex

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I just watched the Verges 10 minute summary video of the Galaxy S8 launch. When they unveiled Samsung Dex. It kind of killed me a little. Because here we clearly have a continuum clone that will probably instantly get more traction than we've seen to date with w10m... but also makes me wish there was a Samsung 8s with w10m :crying:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I agreed. It killed me also. Samsung managed to make a much better desktop experience on a smartphone than the original makers of the desktop, MS.

I just might go back to Android my friends. With ad-blockers on their web browsers. It's all I really wanted besides a better desktop experience. A more true all in one smartphone and mini PC. All the apps. Better banking apps, better mobile payments.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I read on android central that MS actually helped samsung get the MS office apps decent on the dex. Not that MS products must be exclusive to their platforms, after all they don't want competitors coming along and taking away office dominance, it's one of the crown jewels of MS, but lets face it, the writing's on the wall for W10M. The only quandary left is why they are still updating mobile? Why is HP still in on it?

I think 'mobile first' doesn't mean what we thought it meant, as in, they are dedicated to mobile, just not their own platform.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Well Microsoft is a software company as well. This IS a good thing for them. We want to see them be successful regardless of the manufacturer as the more software they put out potentially the better results for us.

It's definitely looking pretty neat and a good indication of what the future may be.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I read on android central that MS actually helped samsung get the MS office apps decent on the dex. Not that MS products must be exclusive to their platforms, after all they don't want competitors coming along and taking away office dominance, it's one of the crown jewels of MS, but lets face it, the writing's on the wall for W10M. The only quandary left is why they are still updating mobile? Why is HP still in on it?

I think 'mobile first' doesn't mean what we thought it meant, as in, they are dedicated to mobile, just not their own platform.

Yeah. That "mobile first" comment. I never believed it was for WM10 to begin with. I was skeptical at the get go. If they meant it for their own platform, they'd have a much more polished WM10 and Continuum by now. Kinda sad to see someone else showing MS how it's done.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say Samsung managed to make a better desktop experience, at least not yet. At first glance, their dock looks a little nicer for consumer appeal. Overall I think it looks similar. We wont know for sure until hands on. But As I was saying, right out of the gate it will come out stronger than continuum because samsung will probably sell more S8 at launch than there are windows 10 continuum capable devices :amaze:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Wowser. If anyone needs any more proof of MS's mobile OS being dead in the water, they simply didn't watch the video above. That's what Continuum should have been out of the gate. But, alas, it was not. :(

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
At this point I am not sure where my feelings went. The UI of this thing looks a lot nicer, not half-a** like Continuum. Even if I use Continuum and I like it, I still think Samsung did a really great job with this thing. The UI looks a bit complex though, so it is going to be interesting to see how will it actually preform as some of you guys already said. This is like copying a homework, just making it slightly different. I hope MS is going to deliver the CShell for all devices that support Continuum as soon as possible or they can expect that HP will jump ship.

Just don't start with the "software company first" stuff because Windows 10 Mobile is their very OS and they should show uncompromised dedication for it regardless of the OS market share. Sure, they have Office and Outlook and Cortana for other operating systems too but even if I didn't have bad opinion on Nadella, at this point I really think that this is not the right path. Sure it's business, but it would be ethical and morally nice to show people that bought Windows 10 Mobile devices some appreciation and dedication to the platform, because their listing of Galaxy 8 really killed me.

I am really curious if Bill Gates seriously approves every Nadella's move.
absolutely barbaric.jpg

Last edited:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Nadella has done great work for Microsoft, there's no denying that. Their stock has never been higher, and every consecutive financial report shows profit gains. But what's best for Microsoft's profits isn't necessarily what's best for Microsoft's products. I agree that Microsoft has lost sight of what needs to be done for their own operating systems, but I'm confident that we will see further improvements to Windows 10 Mobile in time. Every update so far has gone further towards making Windows 10 a singular, unified operating system across all platforms, and the addition of the Unified Update Platform and the future addition of the CShell proves this. Although the Creator's Update was, albeit, a minor update, we all knew this coming in. Windows Central reported weeks before that RS2 was going to be a minor update for Mobile. RS3 is expected to be a major update with many improvements to Continuum. I can't claim to know what's going to happen, but I know that I love my Lumia 950 XL and I'll continue to use it until such time it's no longer a suitable device for me. The Creator's Update runs fantastic on my Lumia 950 (my Fast Ring device) and the minor improvements are still, well, improvements. The updates are coming slow, but they're coming.
And need I remember everyone that the Anniversary Update was actually pretty sizeable for Mobile?

Anyways, that's my two cents. I am disappointed with how Microsoft has allegedly "killed" Windows 10 Mobile, but I still love it as an operating system and I'm not giving it up. I also believe it still has a place in Microsoft's plans. I say we wait to see what RS3 brings, seeing as we've known that was supposedly the major update for Mobile since the beginning.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm not surprised to see Microsoft involved in Dex. Not only does it ensure Office is relevant when Dex comes out, but it also ensures that the smartphone-as-your-PC paradigm is legitimised as a platform.

Dex becoming a grand success is actually the best thing that can happen to Microsoft, since they can then piggy-back on it with their next iteration of Continuum which will obviously have more features than what we see now, and could well surpass what Dex currently offers.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am really curious if Bill Gates seriously approves every Nadella's move.

I think this community puts too much stock in mobile. I mean, it makes sense that we would; we are here because we're Windows phone fans. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Microsoft lives and dies by WP. Microsoft's stocks have soared since Nadella has been in command. The stocks also soared under Ballmer.

Look at it this way; there are thousands (probably) of tech companies selling software and hardware across the world, and only two of them have widely adopted mobile OS's. If we say that mobile is crucial, how can we explain their success in the last several years with a barely used platform? Not only was it not accepted, it ultimately cost them many billions of dollars.

Since 2010 or so, mobile has become a smaller and smaller part of Microsoft's portfolio. I don't think it is necessary. Sure, they tried, but the public did not accept their offerings.

Microsoft basically said that they never did want to become an OEM. They were forced to by circumstances. However, as long as their services are being used, it probably doesn't really matter to them which platform they're on. I think the move with the S8 makes sense. Sure, it's not ideal, but given current conditions it's probably the best thing to do. And it costs them virtually nothing, offers their customers a mobile solution, and makes sure that their services are noticed on a best selling mobile device.

To directly answer the quote, I'm sure that Bill Gates doesn't approve of Nadella's every move. He probably didn't approve of all of Ballmer's moves either. In fact, I would guess that Gates himself when he was CEO made some moves he didn't like, but was forced to by conditions. But Nadella is CEO. He was chosen for a reason. So he diminishes a division that has hemorrhaged cash since its inception and saw little chance of a turnaround. It makes sense to me.

TL;DR Microsoft does not have to have a mobile OS to be successful.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
TL;DR Microsoft does not have to have a mobile OS to be successful
I didn't say anything about Microsoft not being a successful company, nor did I say they need mobile OS to be successful. All I said is that if they already have a Mobile OS then it would make sense me to invest in it. Their vision is about Windows running on all devices - I can only see that happening with Windows 10 Mobile. Now at this moment don't try me with Windows 10 on ARM because that is not there yet for consumers to use. Another thing I find contradictory to their visions are the Office apps - why develop both desktop and UWP apps for Office if UWP is the future? Why don't they bring the missing APIs or whatever they need to only make full UWP Office apps for Windows.

I do understand your point of view but I can't agree with it as Microsoft's mobile strategy is literally suicidal. If it doesn't need the mobile OS, then let them already kill it. I don't see how making a half baked software solution you don't want to push is smart these days. If they don't want to push it hard and update it as hard as they should, then it's all just waste of money and resources. Then the Lumia 950 and XL don't make any sense to me.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say anything about Microsoft not being a successful company, nor did I say they need mobile OS to be successful.

No, you didn't. I should not have put my entire post under your quote. But that is a common idea here, "Nadella is killing Microsoft!" No, he's not. One tiny piece of the pie is failing, but the company as a whole is doing fine.

All I said is that if they already have a Mobile OS then it would make sense me to invest in it.

They did. For more than 6 years. It hasn't worked. It has cost them many billions of dollars, with nothing to show for it. It's time to do something different, and not just and upgrade. That's what they've done, several times. It hasn't worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon