Thoughts on Essential phone?

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious, too, but it looks like it'll be too small for my liking. I love the move towards phones with virtually no bezel. I just wish they'd increase the overall size of the phone to something like the 1520. Could you imagine a slab of all screen the size of the 1520??? Holy Toledo, I'd buy that! Ha ha I'm also very interested to hear what Michael Fisher has to say about.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Curious, but not all that interested. Essentially similar to many other Android phones. Doesn't seem to be anything new, just a combination of this from this phone and that from that phone.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The display design, I'm not a fan of - don't really care for how bezels are becoming the next "thin".

But I like the philosophy behind it, and we'll see how that turns out.

I like to see new players appear anyway.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
it is smaller, and actually very close dimensions to the Lumia 650.
The specs on the link you've provided say it has 5.7 inch display which is to my knowledge bigger than the Lumia 650 and more like 640 XL. Am I missing something here? :-/

Also to me it basically looks like what an iPhone 7 would look like if it ran Android.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The specs on the link you've provided say it has 5.7 inch display which is to my knowledge bigger than the Lumia 650 and more like 640 XL. Am I missing something here? :-/

Also to me it basically looks like what an iPhone 7 would look like if it ran Android.
Here's what is crazy about this. With that display, it sounds like it would be huge but it's not. It's actually on the smaller side. The reason that the display can be so big is because of the bezels being mostly gone.

Check out this size compare for yourself: Visual Phone Size Comparison

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself doesn't do anything for me, but the clip-on 360 camera for an additional $50 or standalone for $150 caught my eye.

So I guess they've shelved project ARA and went for a more modest definition of "modular".

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Build quality and size are good. Plus, I watched the interview, and Andy Rubin is very much entrenched in AI and understanding of what is in the world around him. He has intriguing perspectives to say the least.

It is really heavy for what it is too (Titanium/Ceramic). Maybe not a big deal though...To me if they really get the modularity thing right, it could be big. No where near my price range though. If it were though a bit cheaper I would try it out just to try. I am fascinated by the design of these things more so sometimes then what they actually do. In fact just last night bought a used unlocked Moto Z play fairly cheap so to keep an Android around the house here for testing certain functionalities of that OS that I am still interested in. I felt the Z series had some relevance being modular in that way, plus their design always caught my eye.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

As libra said, the bezels make a surprising difference.

As an example, the Galaxy S8 has a 5.8" display but it's in a chassis that is significantly smaller than my 5.4" Priv and friend's 5.5" iPhone 6+. Weird huh?

krazyatom

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I do like the material they used but not sure id they're worth the cost. If they can give you updates equivalent to google pixel, I may consider.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Wireless USB 3.0, now that is innovative. Andy Rubin has some cards to play in the next 5-10 years. They made a statement that they are committed to monthly updates too. And the boot loader is suppose to be unlockable.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Its a flagship phone with stock android, big plus there. If it gets Android updates as soon as the Pixel phones and were priced a little cheaper (currently its a $700 device) I'd be interested.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro