Galaxy Note 4

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to Android.

Honestly, this is a question for AndroidCentral if anything. If you ask here, you'll get more responses about Android's inferiority than would probably be helpful.

In my opinion, it's a competent phone and it'll work but I would look into using a custom ROM for up-to-date software. (but I believe you'll want to avoid carrier-branded devices in that case, I may be wrong but I believe they've mandated locked bootloaders for a while now)

It'll be stuck on Marshmallow, which'll work fine on it's hardware (my daily driver's on Marshmallow too) although I don't know how much overhead Samsung's additions add and it's probably not getting security updates. (hence custom ROMs)

I have a friend who uses a 4 as their daily and it works for them. I think the biggest question is whether you're getting it for a good price.

It also has a removable battery which is helpful in case the current one is worn out, I think it's a sizable plus, especially since the phone was released in 2014.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Unless you're getting a very good deal on it, I would suggest looking for something newer. The Note 4 was released in October 2014, so it is over 2.5 years old already.

That said, it is still very capable from what I know of it.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Moved to Android.

Honestly, this is a question for AndroidCentral if anything. If you ask here, you'll get more responses about Android's inferiority than would probably be helpful.

In my opinion, it's a competent phone and it'll work but I would look into using a custom ROM for up-to-date software. (but I believe you'll want to avoid carrier-branded devices in that case, I may be wrong but I believe they've mandated locked bootloaders for a while now)

It'll be stuck on Marshmallow, which'll work fine on it's hardware (my daily driver's on Marshmallow too) although I don't know how much overhead Samsung's additions add and it's probably not getting security updates. (hence custom ROMs)

I have a friend who uses a 4 as their daily and it works for them. I think the biggest question is whether you're getting it for a good price.

It also has a removable battery which is helpful in case the current one is worn out, I think it's a sizable plus, especially since the phone was released in 2014.

I posted it in WC to get the thoughts of other W10 users, but I didn't think about all the android hate that might come along as well lol.

I like the 4 because I can get one for under $200, it has a big screen and it has an SD card slot.

Leaving W10 makes me sad, but everyday it gets a little harder and now the lack of features/apps are starting to affect my daily use and enjoyment.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
The note 4 would be fine for the immediate future. as stated above you could put a custom ROM on to get to the latest os and would run perfectly fine. it maybe won't be a "long term" solution but what phones are these days?

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The note 4 would be fine for the immediate future. as stated above you could put a custom ROM on to get to the latest os and would run perfectly fine. it maybe won't be a "long term" solution but what phones are these days?

Agreed. No phone is "long term" and, even now, the aging Note 4 is still better than most of today's "budget phones."

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I've had a Note 4 for nearly 3 years, bought to replace my L830 when it wore out. Except it isn't worn out and I'm still using both on a daily basis. I bought a spare battery for both phones but haven't needed either of them yet. I use the Note the way it came out of the box on day 1 and it works much the same as it did on day1,a little slower because it has 200+ apps on it including all the Microsoft apps. Outlook works better than Gmail on it, as does OneDrive and several other MS equivalent apps. I'm still getting security updates from Samsung. After owning it for 3 years without a scratch I knocked it off an armchair onto carpet a few weeks ago and cracked the screen by the home button but it still works normally. It's on Marshmallow and I'm pleased it won't update to Nougat because I'd lose the dark theme I prefer on it and the 830. Like most people on the forums I'm keen on the latest tech and used to look forward to having a shiny new phone. But using both my phones every day for 3 years has convinced me that there are few if any advances in all the newer handsets over the last 3 years that would justify me buying them. I've nothing against iPhone but I've never been tempted to try one. MS seem to have abandoned Windows Phone so I'll stick with Android when one or both of my phones die. And keep using the MS apps. Good luck if you decide to get a Note.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by meattray

I wouldn't really say that a custom ROM is a good way to go unless you know the risks involved, including the potential to brick your phone. Having said that it does allow you to get later versions of Android than the manufacturer puts out but it also depends on whether you are going to use apps like Google Pay that mean you can't root the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon