How I've Made My Android Phone Feel Very "Microsoft" / Windows 10 Mobile

Michael J Burke

Mar 24, 2018
Visit site
Hello group,

I’m new to this thread – and found it in a search for info to help me with decision to move from current Windows phone 8.1 (Nokia Lumia 1020) to any Android phone.

The initial July 20, 2017 post by bleser echoed much of my same interests in what I would like to have going forward, as well as my laments for leaving Windows.

My main use of the phone is business related. I use it for phone calls and for Outlook – emails, calendar and contacts. I don’t use it for games. I don’t use Cortana but could be persuaded. I do use the phone for texts, OneDrive and OneNote. I have Office 365 for Business.

In fact, bleser’s screen shot of his/her phone is incredibly similar to my current WP 8.1 set up – and I am so happy to see that the Android world will permit a similar set up.

Currently, am shopping for type/model of Android phone that will let me set up the phone with the apps suggested by bleser: the SquareHome 2 launcher, the Whicons and NineMail (unless there have been some changes since that July 2017 post with similar/better/stronger apps than any of those three).

The other huge factor in my phone selection is call quality – a factor that frankly I need more than my want of having the Android phone look like my WP 8.1.

Price? $300-$500? But would consider paying more if call quality is tied to higher price.

I’ve rambled enough. Glad to have found this thread. Any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

mburke

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I think trying to emulate WM on an Android phone will become tiresome.
Tried it myself and it just wasn't a pure experience so I quit trying and went back to Nova with the customization's I liked.

On my Android phone I keep things simple with 2 small widgets and no multiple screens with minimal icons on-screen.
The tile launchers available for Android just make things more difficult in my opinion.

Android is Android...WP/WM is something else and totally different.

That's exactly how I feel, trying to make Android look and behave like Windows will just leave you disappointed.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello group,

I’m new to this thread – and found it in a search for info to help me with decision to move from current Windows phone 8.1 (Nokia Lumia 1020) to any Android phone.

The initial July 20, 2017 post by bleser echoed much of my same interests in what I would like to have going forward, as well as my laments for leaving Windows.

My main use of the phone is business related. I use it for phone calls and for Outlook – emails, calendar and contacts. I don’t use it for games. I don’t use Cortana but could be persuaded. I do use the phone for texts, OneDrive and OneNote. I have Office 365 for Business.

In fact, bleser’s screen shot of his/her phone is incredibly similar to my current WP 8.1 set up – and I am so happy to see that the Android world will permit a similar set up.

Currently, am shopping for type/model of Android phone that will let me set up the phone with the apps suggested by bleser: the SquareHome 2 launcher, the Whicons and NineMail (unless there have been some changes since that July 2017 post with similar/better/stronger apps than any of those three).

The other huge factor in my phone selection is call quality – a factor that frankly I need more than my want of having the Android phone look like my WP 8.1.

Price? $300-$500? But would consider paying more if call quality is tied to higher price.

I’ve rambled enough. Glad to have found this thread. Any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

mburke

I can only really comment on what I use but a phone with stock Android or as close to it might be best, I use a Polished Blue Nokia 8 as it is as close to stock Android as you can get without paying through the nose for a Pixel. An unlocked Nokia 8 will set you back about $450, as I said though I can only comment on what I use.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Nokia 6, which I got on Amazon for $150 and am loving it! If I use a Windows launcher, no one has any idea that I'm on Android lol. More than once someone has looked at my home screen and said "They made Super Mario Run on Windows?" or "A new Nokia Windows Phone? I thought those were history!"

I just laugh and continue on.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I can only really comment on what I use but a phone with stock Android or as close to it might be best, I use a Polished Blue Nokia 8 as it is as close to stock Android as you can get without paying through the nose for a Pixel. An unlocked Nokia 8 will set you back about $450, as I said though I can only comment on what I use.

I recently made the switch from W10M to Android. I was looking to get a Nokia 8 but got a Xiaomi A1 instead. It's a good phone for the price and I especially like no bloat as well. It has all my W10M apps and I use MS Launcher too. I couldn't get on with Launcher10. Sure, it can do the live tiles and stuff but I just didn't like the overall look and feel. So far, moving to Android has been far painless than when I tried it on a Note 4, way back when.

Bleser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Evening all,

I'm glad this post has helped some to find a new way to look at Android. Of course you can't beat the original (true WP/W10M), but I'm glad some are satisfied with the 'simulated' version. :)

For me, I'm looking for new hardware; the Sony camera isn't cutting it. The Nokia 7 Plus and Nokia 8 Sirocco have my eye, and currently I'm leaning towards the 7 Plus (all glass scares me since I don't use cases on my phones). We'll see based on pending reviews of each.

Cheers!

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I just posted my home screen on a Android Central forum so thought I would post up the same here. Using Square Home 2 launcher with the Whicon pack on P20 Pro. It's what the Lumia 1020 ought to have been!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181225-142052.jpg
    Screenshot_20181225-142052.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20181225-142103.jpg
    Screenshot_20181225-142103.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 42

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
3e45457a6ac883b44dda9291960ce7d1.jpg

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am using Launcher10 for my Galaxy Note 9. I love it! But it is hard not to be frustrated because it is still not like how Win10 Mobile was. The People's Hub, the continuity of social media and our contacts/calendar, and having live tiles come live even if there is no new notification.

I am thinking there are limitations with the Android OS or the developer would have integrated more features.

Screenshot_20190720-023814_Launcher 10.jpg
Screenshot_20190720-023824_Launcher 10.jpg

Thanks,
Nate

Last edited:

CaveWindowsWoman

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
@KeithWhiteJr ,

I actually just got the Nokia 5.3, and put Square home & Launcher on it and used the Which one and I really enjoy it so far. Have to follow @Bleser's advice about the tones, and it definitely took some patience, but I really enjoy the experience. I had a Nokia Lumia 635 until literally this month (November 2020 ), so I'm glad that a Nokia can provide this good of a transition for me, plus the camera is amazing. Hope you've found a good choice !

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Anyone know how to get the Outlook Calendar Live Tile to work? Only my emails are showing up. In the past, I had to use the built in Samsung Calendar to 'push' notifications to the Launcher 10 Outlook Live Tile, but after the latest OS update, that doesn't work anymore...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99