My frustrating attempt to move to Android.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it all depends on what you do on your phone. What your requirements are. I do a lot of driving. Cortana made that safe with embedded functionality in the OS. I have yet to find even a 3rd party Android app that can do everything she did for me. Even the basics of reading and replying to texts without my having to interact with the screen at all.
Out of curiosity, can you tell us a bit more about the tasks that you miss other than reading and sending texts for which you feel Cortana did a better job than your S8?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it all depends on what you do on your phone. What your requirements are. I do a lot of driving. Cortana made that safe with embedded functionality in the OS. I have yet to find even a 3rd party Android app that can do everything she did for me. Even the basics of reading and replying to texts without my having to interact with the screen at all.

You can try using Android Auto if your car is capable or else use the app whilst driving. I think then the Google Assistant will read out the texts to you.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In my car, Cortana announces whenever I receive a text, tells me who the sender is, and asks if I want her to read it or ignore it. If I choose to read it, I can then reply by voice. All of this without ever touching the phone. And the announcement comes regardless of what I am listening to on the radio, FM, CD or BT. It evens works with the head unit turned off.

Turn by turn navigation directions also come on regardless of the source selected on the head unit. By contrast, Android would only announce turn by turn if I had the phone selected as the current audio source via BT. If I was listening to FM radio, I got nothing. And incoming texts were only announced via a chime, and then again only over BT. I could ask Okay Google to read my last 5 messages, but not reply to them.

I was very surprised to learn how primative Android was compared to Cortana, and this was one of the major reasons I returned to W10M (along with Android repeatedly losing all my contacts, but that's a story for another time...)

Sums it up perfectly

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity, can you tell us a bit more about the tasks that you miss other than reading and sending texts for which you feel Cortana did a better job than your S8?

Just about any voice command she can complete the task. Play a particular song, play a playlist or artist, open apps, directions, calendar entries, alarms. The list goes on.

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Just about any voice command she can complete the task. Play a particular song, play a playlist or artist, open apps, directions, calendar entries, alarms. The list goes on.
I switched from Windows Phone 8.1 to iPhone in late 2015. Now I'm on Android. I do miss Windows Mobile OS to be honest. Would've really like there was more app support, but I think the OS design and overall functionality was quite good. Voice command on WM was solid IMO.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you really use voice commands for all of that? I find tapping on an app just as easy, if not easier

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hard to believe people use that many functions while driving, but okay

It really all comes down to what your requirements are. I am in IT and am always connected. I rely heavily on texts and alerts. When driving, in order to stay safe, I dont want to have to interact with the screen at all. I want to use voice commands for everything. Play this song or artist or playlist. Read me my email. Incoming texts are read to me and I can reply to them. I can say call (name) and the call is made. All with keeping my eyes on the road at all times. This is what Cortana on W10M gave me. This is not what Cortana (or any other app) on Android does.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
It really all comes down to what your requirements are. I am in IT and am always connected. I rely heavily on texts and alerts. When driving, in order to stay safe, I dont want to have to interact with the screen at all. I want to use voice commands for everything. Play this song or artist or playlist. Read me my email. Incoming texts are read to me and I can reply to them. I can say call (name) and the call is made. All with keeping my eyes on the road at all times. This is what Cortana on W10M gave me. This is not what Cortana (or any other app) on Android does.
It does come down to personal use for sure. But, everyone just has to move on. Win mobile is dead and people are going to have to get used to what's out there. I loved using voice texting when I had Win phone. I don't miss it one bit in the past couple years I've been on Android.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It does come down to personal use for sure. But, everyone just has to move on. Win mobile is dead and people are going to have to get used to what's out there. I loved using voice texting when I had Win phone. I don't miss it one bit in the past couple years I've been on Android.

Well, let's be clear, it's not dead. The current iteration will see bug fixes and be fully supported for quite some time. I think for you and a lot of users that did not rely on these features, the switch is not as painful and I get that. Just understand that for some, losing that basic functionality is quite a big deal. Enough to bring me back tp W10M until it can be replicated elsewhere.

anon(10321802)

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
No, everyone does not have to move on. Not yet, anyway. If you have to move on, go for it. But don't project your own situation onto everyone else.

I don't currently own a W10M device (though I have in the past), but I'm actually considering getting one now because they are inexpensive, will continue to be supported with security patches and bug fixes through 2019, and do have some unique features that no other platform has yet.

nwnjjim

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I am very happy with my 950 and my wife refuses to give up her 1020. They fit our needs, and that is what's important. We are in our 60's and don't do the social media stuff. We are waiting until the other os's give us what we now enjoy with WM10/8.1. I may have to replace her battery and/or load WM10 on her 1020, but that's fine. Don't understand the rush to move to Android or Apple or the pressure to make a decision now between the two. Everyone is different of course and has their own needs and view of this situation, but we will change when we have to, and change to the os that fits our needs at that time. We also rely heavily on our cameras, that's a primary decision point for us. I don't see anything yet that makes me want to give up the cameras we have now. Not the V30, S8, or new apples.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hard to believe people use that many functions while driving, but okay

I see it out on the road every day. People determined and actively trying to cause property damage, injury and loss of life because they can't stop touching their phones. And I'm not shy about calling people out on it either.

It only takes a couple of seconds distraction to not see conditions and ram your multi-ton vehicle into something you shouldn't. And all too often there is a living being at the receiving end. You do the physics: 4000 lbs @ 35 mph vs a pedestrian.

People that trivialize the problem and pretend they are in control of their driving when they are really doing everything except driving gets me hopping mad.

And attempting to excuse it is worse.

The time it takes you to look at a notification is enough time to kill someone. And people who can't stop looking at their phones repeat this lapse over and over, day in and day out. You do the statistical analysis: # of times reckless behavior is engaged in until tragedy occurs.

It's an accident waiting to happen. You'll never convince me otherwise.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
everyone just has to move on. Win mobile is dead and people are going to have to get used to what's out there. I loved using voice texting when I had Win phone. I don't miss it one bit in the past couple years I've been on Android.

its post like this that make me roll my eyes! LOL obviously you really DIDN'T take advantage of Cortana and other great things WM had to offer, I'm in the same boat of usage as mark Kaplan and whenever I drive not only do I use voice commands for everything AND I stream my music through my car radio using Groove which works on my car speakers but I have it set so my txt and calls go through my Bluetooth ear piece... I can't do that on android using my LG G6... everything gets sent to either my BT headset or through the speakers on my radio... haven't been able to do my set-up like on my X3

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
its post like this that make me roll my eyes! LOL obviously you really DIDN'T take advantage of Cortana and other great things WM had to offer, I'm in the same boat of usage as mark Kaplan and whenever I drive not only do I use voice commands for everything AND I stream my music through my car radio using Groove which works on my car speakers but I have it set so my txt and calls go through my Bluetooth ear piece... I can't do that on android using my LG G6... everything gets sent to either my BT headset or through the speakers on my radio... haven't been able to do my set-up like on my X3
Sorry, but I took full advantage of Cortana and know what it's all about. But instead of hanging onto a dead platform (and yes it is dead) you just have to move on. Everyone is intiteled to not move on and complain that nothing is working anymore, or live in the past and complain that today isn't like it yesterday. But it's also people's porogitive to suggest other things. I'm just trying to say that you won't miss Cortana as much as you think you will. You will find a way to adjust. It's just tech for crying out loud. :)

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I see it out on the road every day. People determined and actively trying to cause property damage, injury and loss of life because they can't stop touching their phones. And I'm not shy about calling people out on it either.

It only takes a couple of seconds distraction to not see conditions and ram your multi-ton vehicle into something you shouldn't. And all too often there is a living being at the receiving end. You do the physics: 4000 lbs @ 35 mph vs a pedestrian.

People that trivialize the problem and pretend they are in control of their driving when they are really doing everything except driving gets me hopping mad.

And attempting to excuse it is worse.

The time it takes you to look at a notification is enough time to kill someone. And people who can't stop looking at their phones repeat this lapse over and over, day in and day out. You do the statistical analysis: # of times reckless behavior is engaged in until tragedy occurs.

It's an accident waiting to happen. You'll never convince me otherwise.
I agree with you. That is why I don't reply to text or anything while I'm driving. There is no text that is so important that needs to be replied to right away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte