My frustrating attempt to move to Android.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, let's be clear, it's not dead. The current iteration will see bug fixes and be fully supported for quite some time. I think for you and a lot of users that did not rely on these features, the switch is not as painful and I get that. Just understand that for some, losing that basic functionality is quite a big deal. Enough to bring me back tp W10M until it can be replicated elsewhere.

Based on your very specific usage, which I understand, why not just keep the Android for the app you need and use W10M as your main phone to do a hotspot for times when you need that app when out and about? People are saying that it is dead and I don't know, support until 2019 is longer than a number of Android phones have it for. No features is a bummer for sure but fixes and security is pretty awesome.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. That is why I don't reply to text or anything while I'm driving. There is no text that is so important that needs to be replied to right away.

O... K...

Do you really use voice commands for all of that? I find tapping on an app just as easy, if not easier

But you admit to tap taping apps and from the context of the conversation it implies while driving.

The OP is espousing Voice Command while in the car and you seem to be saying it isn't necessary.

I'd say there is absolutely nothing on the phone you need to touch while driving and any touch takes your focus off the road.

I'll let you have the final word. I'm out.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
O... K...

But you admit to tap taping apps and from the context of the conversation it implies while driving.

The OP is espousing Voice Command while in the car and you seem to be saying it isn't necessary.

I'd say there is absolutely nothing on the phone you need to touch while driving and any touch takes your focus off the road.

I'll let you have the final word. I'm out.
My comment wasn't meant for driving. So, it is what it is. I'm out as well.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I took full advantage of Cortana and know what it's all about. But instead of hanging onto a dead platform (and yes it is dead) you just have to move on. Everyone is intiteled to not move on and complain that nothing is working anymore, or live in the past and complain that today isn't like it yesterday. But it's also people's porogitive to suggest other things. I'm just trying to say that you won't miss Cortana as much as you think you will. You will find a way to adjust. It's just tech for crying out loud. :)

I have to ask then why are you here in a W10M forum? Is it just to tell all of us its dead and move on? Is that your mission? The platform, as long as its supported is not dead and the people that use it will continue to use it because there isnt anything else out there that can compare. So, I'm glad you have moved on, you should try Android Central. You will have better luck over there. Have a nice Cortana day!

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Based on your very specific usage, which I understand, why not just keep the Android for the app you need and use W10M as your main phone to do a hotspot for times when you need that app when out and about? People are saying that it is dead and I don't know, support until 2019 is longer than a number of Android phones have it for. No features is a bummer for sure but fixes and security is pretty awesome.

That's exactly what I've done. A pretty expensive way to use an app but that's the way it goes. I am much happier back on W10M.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That's exactly what I've done. A pretty expensive way to use an app but that's the way it goes. I am much happier back on W10M.

That's cool. Is it possible to get rid of that phone and buy a cheaper one? That might hurt less. The Moto G series or even the E ones(came out this year) is pretty solid.

Of course you don't have to, it's just an idea.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I have to ask then why are you here in a W10M forum? Is it just to tell all of us its dead and move on? Is that your mission? The platform, as long as its supported is not dead and the people that use it will continue to use it because there isnt anything else out there that can compare. So, I'm glad you have moved on, you should try Android Central. You will have better luck over there. Have a nice Cortana day!
Wow, so if someone has a different opinion that person shouldn't be in the forum uh? I'm sorry but I thought this was a tech forum and we are free to express our opinions. How foolish of me. If a consumer OS is not being developed and is not moving forward and does not have third party support, any objective person would say it's dead. Or how about this, a person who's company was developing a Win 10 mobile device before the announcement and has now stopped because there is no future, that same objective person will call that dead too. Have a good day

anon(10321802)

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site
Wow, so if someone has a different opinion that person shouldn't be in the forum uh? I'm sorry but I thought this was a tech forum and we are free to express our opinions. How foolish of me. If a consumer OS is not being developed and is not moving forward and does not have third party support, any objective person would say it's dead. Or how about this, a person who's company was developing a Win 10 mobile device before the announcement and has now stopped because there is no future, that same objective person will call that dead too. Have a good day

The phones haven't just stopped working.

anon(10321802)

Sep 19, 2017
Visit site

The phones haven't just stopped working.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
That's cool. Is it possible to get rid of that phone and buy a cheaper one? That might hurt less. The Moto G series or even the E ones(came out this year) is pretty solid.

Of course you don't have to, it's just an idea.

My wife is happy. I'm giving her the S8 Plus and taking her S7 for the app. :)

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Hard to believe people use that many functions while driving, but okay
Here in the PNW, everybody uses lots of phone functions while driving, as is apparent on I5 in/around Seattle. It's easy to spot the Android users, they're the ones who don't go when the light turns green, or continue driving 40 in the interstate even when the traffic in front of them clears--they're looking at their screens tapping away. I too use voice commands a lot, and Cortana is smart enough to sort things to the right app, execute the commands, etc.

Kizzy Catwoman

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Hence my decision to go Pixel 2 XL for my Android adventure.
I concur. I am using a cheap Chinese phone until my contract is up and I can get a Pixel 2XL. The benefit is being as close to stock as possible. Only the apps I want are on my phone and I have put on Action Launcher. I went to iOS when my 640XL packed up but it is so boring to use. Android versions of apps do more and work better. I do miss Cortana reading my text messages to me and driving mode. There was a lot to love about Win Phone 8.1 that just got lost in W10M imho especially the metro apps.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you @Mark Kaplan for summing up nicely why I also do not want to move to Android. Thanks for sharing your experience. As @RumoredNow has said, for Android phones, Samsung is not always the best choice (I had a Note 4 and didn't like it). Maybe the Nokia Android phones would have been better? Either way, hope you manage to settle into Android, otherwise, you are very welcome back as a WP user.

Bigsteelguy

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I understand the feeling, but Android is ok to me. I carry both a Lumia 950XL and an LGV20. I would recommend Launcher 10 on Android and get the paid version with live tiles, and you will get some of the features from Windows phone. You can pin any apps to the home screen. It's really a nice launcher.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I understand the feeling, but Android is ok to me. I carry both a Lumia 950XL and an LGV20. I would recommend Launcher 10 on Android and get the paid version with live tiles, and you will get some of the features from Windows phone. You can pin any apps to the home screen. It's really a nice launcher.

THanks for that. Have you found Launcher 10 to be better than Microsoft's? Do the live tiles really work?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
THanks for that. Have you found Launcher 10 to be better than Microsoft's? Do the live tiles really work?

I just downloaded Launcher 10 to my Pixel xl. Looks promising, works fast and seems to offer the tile ability. Not sure if they are live tiles; more use will determine that.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been playing around with Launcher 10 all afternoon on my Mate 9. It definitely looks really nice. Live tiles are hit and miss. I paid the premium upgrade to get live tiles and remove ads. The ads are indeed gone, but the live tiles are not all there. My weather tile, contacts tiles, and news tile are not live. Also, moving tiles around was smooth at times and very jumpy at times. When moving a tile went wrong, it usually jumped up two or three rows or even superimposed itself over and existing tile. Once I got everything set up, though, it looked really nice. But, after a few hours, I went back to my stock Android launcher. I'll probably try it out again though.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been playing around with Launcher 10 all afternoon on my Mate 9. It definitely looks really nice. Live tiles are hit and miss. I paid the premium upgrade to get live tiles and remove ads. The ads are indeed gone, but the live tiles are not all there. My weather tile, contacts tiles, and news tile are not live. Also, moving tiles around was smooth at times and very jumpy at times. When moving a tile went wrong, it usually jumped up two or three rows or even superimposed itself over and existing tile. Once I got everything set up, though, it looked really nice. But, after a few hours, I went back to my stock Android launcher. I'll probably try it out again though.
After two years on Android I just don't miss the live tiles and I'm pretty sure everyone here will feel the same. I was a big fan of it but it's not missed anymore. The Microsoft launcher is really, really nice. I'm using that

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers