My frustrating attempt to move to Android.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Live Tiles were dead more than live back when I used Windows Phone. I've used Android for 2½ years now and have never had any desire to make my Android devices look like Windows devices. I've used Nova Launcher Prime all this time and see no reason to bother with Microsoft Launcher.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
After two years on Android I just don't miss the live tiles and I'm pretty sure everyone here will feel the same. I was a big fan of it but it's not missed anymore. The Microsoft launcher is really, really nice. I'm using that
Yeah, I'm like you. I'm gonna get destroyed here after I say this, but the live tiles were awesome at first; however, for whatever reason, they became kind of gimmicky to me. Most of the non-MS app tiles never really worked reliably anyway. But I always loved setting up a new WP and seeing those new tiles light up the screen for the first time. I do suffer from a bit of nostalgia from time to time, and even though there are no live tiles, the MS Launcher is really nice.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The Live Tiles were dead more than live back when I used Windows Phone. I've used Android for 2½ years now and have never had any desire to make my Android devices look like Windows devices. I've used Nova Launcher Prime all this time and see no reason to bother with Microsoft Launcher.
I've tried a few different Windows style launchers, but never for more than a day or so. Android works as is for me, so I always end up back at the stock launcher. I bought Nova Launcher Prime a while back, but got bogged down in customizing the launcher so much that I had to quit and go back to stock. Lol

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm like you. I'm gonna get destroyed here after I say this, but the live tiles were awesome at first; however, for whatever reason, they became kind of gimmicky to me. Most of the non-MS app tiles never really worked reliably anyway. But I always loved setting up a new WP and seeing those new tiles light up the screen for the first time. I do suffer from a bit of nostalgia from time to time, and even though there are no live tiles, the MS Launcher is really nice.

I agree. Of all the ones I've tried I like it the best.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've tried a few different Windows style launchers, but never for more than a day or so. Android works as is for me, so I always end up back at the stock launcher. I bought Nova Launcher Prime a while back, but got bogged down in customizing the launcher so much that I had to quit and go back to stock. Lol
I've saved my Nova settings in backup, so I've restored the same settings on 3 different Android phones. It didn't cause me to have to redo any customisations.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Nova launcher Androidster here.
I've tried a number of launchers.
IMO they all pale next to Nova.

Once the ins-and-outs are learned there is just no going back.
Not sure how Nova could improve, yet it does with each update.

Nova launcher smooths out so many dislikes that some Android users might have.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I guess I'll try a launcher on my Galaxy just to see the difference. Personally, I get the feeling MS doesn't want me around so why change my Galaxy to resemble a WP?

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I used the stock launcher on my Essential for awhile (Launcher3), but I have recently switched to the Microsoft Launcher and am liking it quite a bit for now.

JeevanP

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
I used the stock launcher on my Essential for awhile (Launcher3), but I have recently switched to the Microsoft Launcher and am liking it quite a bit for now.
To be frank it needs some visual refresh at east for home screen. I do like the way that Pixel launcher looks like. Home screen style of Pixel launcher plus Microsoft launchers side pans is be my dream launcher

Joe Frazier

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried using Microsoft Launcher with Microsoft services (even using Edge which I like). However Cortana is so much slower than Google Assistant and, even making apps default etc, it just doesn't have the same "baked in" experience. I have since reverted back to Smart Launcher and dumped MS services for Google's except for Office. I loved Windows Phone but those experiences just aren't the same under Android.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I moved to the Galaxy S8 and there was a learning curve but just spend a little time with it and it'll get easier.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
As an update... I have dumped everything Microsoft except for OneDrive... Even switched to Gmail from Outlook (because the integration is just better for google apps).

I have also dropped Microsoft's Launcher, it was nice but the Google Now pane is just a lot nicer. I have played with the stock Launcher3, Nova, Lawnchair and have now settled on the Pixel Launcher for the last 4 days or so.

Wolfjt

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
As an update... I have dumped everything Microsoft except for OneDrive... Even switched to Gmail from Outlook (because the integration is just better for google apps).

I have also dropped Microsoft's Launcher, it was nice but the Google Now pane is just a lot nicer. I have played with the stock Launcher3, Nova, Lawnchair and have now settled on the Pixel Launcher for the last 4 days or so.
Interesting. I've stayed with Outlook. Only reason is my main mail is an MS account and Inbox only handles Google accounts. I like the outlook mail app. I've dumped office 365, and went with Amazon as my cloud storage and going to use Google docs. I use office for work, but I don't need the fancy office apps for personal use. Sadly MS is just going to be an enterprise biz and nothing for consumers.

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I've stayed with Outlook. Only reason is my main mail is an MS account and Inbox only handles Google accounts. I like the outlook mail app. I've dumped office 365, and went with Amazon as my cloud storage and going to use Google docs. I use office for work, but I don't need the fancy office apps for personal use. Sadly MS is just going to be an enterprise biz and nothing for consumers.

I use the gmail app for multiple accounts, 1 Exchange, 1 Gmail, 2 Outlook, 1 Other. I have no issues using it this way no more than any issues I had using the Outlook app.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

Its 2017 and the Android Outlook app doesn't have month view. Its mind blogging. I dumped everything MS (except for my free Onedrive storage). For mail and calendar I settled on Nine. Actually paid $15 for that app but so far, its worth it. Syncs nicely with my calendar (Outlook) on my Window desktop.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Its 2017 and the Android Outlook app doesn't have month view. Its mind blogging. I dumped everything MS (except for my free Onedrive storage). For mail and calendar I settled on Nine. Actually paid $15 for that app but so far, its worth it. Syncs nicely with my calendar (Outlook) on my Window desktop.

Yep, I agree with you about that. Nine is all I use. I don't care for Outlook.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by Mark Kaplan
Originally Posted by Guytronic
Why did you jump to Android?
WM should be solid for a bit longer.

I can see how switching could be very frustrating if you really didn't want to.

Fair question. I was kind of forced into a move because my diabetic son uses a Dexcom G5 which only has support on iOS or Android. The share app also requires the same. I just cannot deal with the garbage on this os. I may just use the app on wifi and go back to my WP. Pretty expensive to do that but I'm too frustrated. It's been almost a month now.

Sounds like you might have been better off with one of the Nokia or Pixel devices. Samsung are known for the bloatware they add to their devices.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying Android, A Galaxy S8 Plus. It's a hard transition for me, one that I may not be able to maintain. The lack of standard day to day functions that I took for granted on WP just do not exist on Android. Right down to an assistant (Cortana) that allows me to be so functional by voice when driving. I feel like I've taken a HUGE step backwards. Sure, the apps are nice, but what good are they on an OS as unproductive for me as this? I can live without the apps. I cannot live without having what I consider to be basic functions embedded in the OS. Maybe the lack of apps is what prompted MSFT to do this in the first place. I do not feel I will be away much longer. I've just updated both my X3 & 950 XL to the latest build. I miss Cortana. I never thought the transition would be this hard. As primarily a business user, this is horrible,
Sorry I could not read through the whole thread, what are the basic things you wanted that you couldn't find in your S8+?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster