One month in to android as a windows phone convert

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to make an attempt to keep this short, and an honest review of the os, not the hardware. I'm no professional at this, I can't guarantee this will flow well, but I'm going to try to be direct and honest.

I've been riding the windows mobile/phone bus for 18 years, starting with the HP Jornada, first phone was the cingular 3125, then a slurry of phones since culminating in the lumia 950. Took a lot of Microsofts kicks to my teeth, and the kick to the family jewels by killing groove forced me to jump ship. Decided to go to android, with the Samsung galaxy s8.

My first thought after a month of using this is: How in the hell did this become the most popular OS in the market?

To this day, the android problems of old still plague this device. It bogs down, requires frequent pressing of the "optimize" button to keep it going, and a seemingly weekly reboot. Frankly... It reminds me a lot of windows xp. Occasionally an app crashes, not sure for what reason, and memory management is a surprising must. That said, the multitasking is much more real than it was on windows mobile, so I guess we can chalk this up to cost/benefit analysis. For a phone, I think W10mo did it better.

Since it's as customizable as it is, I did replace touch wiz with what was formerly known as arrow, replaced the SMS app with textra, but decided to keep the default dialer and contacts list. The notification counts stopped working on all of them last week, and i have yet to resolve why. I also replace the Samsung keyboard with swype, which I was under the impression was the frame keyboard that was on W10mo, is close, but not as accurate and really miss the cursor caret. Swype on Android allows placement of arrow keys, but I keep accidentally hitting them instead of the space bar due to a poor location. Again, W10mo did it best.

Widgets are fine, but they don't theme with the phone, and having mine themed dark, the occasional widgets that have a white background (cough - outlook) make them look like crap.

All in all the while os, while functional (barely) feels chopped up. It doesn't really flow very well in my opinion. This again goes to cost/benefit since it is so modular that you can replace components ad-hoc, but even out of the box, it lacks that flow, or finesse that seemed to exist in the windows side, which frankly I hadn't given much credence to until now.

Apps! To answer my first comment.... The answer is apps. There are a ton of apps, but that said, aside from the banking ones, I've essentially got the same apps I had before. Buuuut.... To my next bullet!

Ads! .... I have bought and paid for more apps on android than I ever did on W10mo. Primarily because the adds on android have just been utterly in my face annoying... This is very prevalent in YouTube. It's like watching TV, ads show up on the middle of videos.... I've never seen this in my pc, or on W10mo.

YouTube... Only one app. While the rest of the play store is awash in apps... There's only one YouTube app, and that belongs to Google. Every video starts with an ad, and 50-60% have an ad somewhere in the middle of it. I find this extremely annoying.

Conclusion: do I regret choosing android over iOS.... No. Do I regret jumping from the W10mo ship? Partially, but I didn't jump... I was pushed by this guy named Nadella. Overall as a windows convert to android, I feel more frustrated than anything else. To see the content publishers on this site tout android as a viable alternative sickens me, is it a better alternative than iOS, in my opinion, yes, is it a viable alternative to windows mobile... I really honestly don't think it is. And my original question, about how it has become the world's largest os.... I really don't know how to answer that. I guess it's the same reason that some people can't get their heads out of the windows xp hole in the sand, they just love instability and chaos at the expense of usability. Android exists in that realm, as does iOS, they exist locked in eternal battle stuck in 2007, Mac vs pc. Using Android reminds me a lot of using xp... I don't know why, I haven't been able to put a finger on it, but it just feels like so many steps back.

All in all it goes to that saying , you don't know what you have till it's gone. Microsoft is ruining a great thing, yes it's due to the app gap, no I don't know how to fix the app gap. But there has to be a way. Maybe a native emulator is the best way... Project astoria if I recall correctly.

I'll add more as I go, if anybody has specific comparisons they want dream, let me know.

All this said, I can sum up this situation in one word. Frustrating.

Last edited:

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been saying/complaining all along about the bloody ads on Android and some people on this forum has indirectly said I was lying and BS'ing... the ads is disgusting and just like I've said in another post just trying to navigate on my android tv device is frustrating to say the least with ads regarding degree deodorant and games they want you to install and apps that you need, its friggin worse than the cable companies!

listen, if you still feel that WM10 does it for you and regardless theres no streaming in groove but theres other apps that can SORTA fill the gap then stick with WM10, I have the HP X3 and its an amazing phone and have absolutely no problems still using it, I still use groove to play my loacal content and content on my one drive and then use slacker to stream all my fav stations... only thing with slacker is you have to pay a monthly subscription for it to work on WM10... but its only $3.99 a month or you can upgrade to the better service for 9.99 and it works better than the garbage Spotify... why MSFT choose to port their stuff with Spotify defies logic and that is why WM10 is such in a shambles because of stupid poor decisions... Spotify is "HORRIBLE" on wm10 and shame on MSFT for going with them without checking first if it works ok for us WM10 users... in the end the decision is upto you just go with what you feel...

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Your Android experience mirrors my own exactly. Plus you forgot to mention how much you give up with Cortana on Android. And have you tried installing apps to your SD card yet? Good luck with that...

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been saying/complaining all along about the bloody ads on Android and some people on this forum has indirectly said I was lying and BS'ing... the ads is disgusting and just like I've said in another post just trying to navigate on my android tv device is frustrating to say the least with ads regarding degree deodorant and games they want you to install and apps that you need, its friggin worse than the cable companies!

It's no BS, it's irritating as hell. I did install on the advice of a friend an os-wide ad blocker [netguard] which unsurprisingly has to be sideloaded. It doesn't get them all, but it nails a lot. Using edge helps as well.

The Spotify app was /usable/ on w10m, but in order to use the app on the Xbox, it had to be controlled from the app.... And that feature was not added to the windows app. That's what broke it for me. Forced to Spotify to maintain my library, and the app was so out of date it hampered my experience on my Xbox.... Someone at Microsoft really ought to be fired for that travesty.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Your Android experience mirrors my own exactly. Plus you forgot to mention how much you give up with Cortana on Android. And have you tried installing apps to your SD card yet? Good luck with that...

Yeah, she's definitely held back on Android, but, if you have a Samsung, you can use Bixby to launch her.... "hi Bixby!", "open cortana", "hey Cortana...." 😊

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
While I liked Android way better than Ios or Windows 6.x I felt it moved too much into obnoxious territory by the time Jellybean came out. That’s why i moved to WM 8 and 10. I used and disliked the early iPAQ devices on CE but android just got more bloated and less friendly.

Keep in mind you can root and replace the crappy Samsung UI with less bloated CyanogenMod or other ROM sets.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Wow, I am in the same boat. First off, the apps. Big deal, other than this kick a** zombie game I downloaded the apps I am using on Android are the same I used on W10M. Ads every where. I am getting use to Android but miss W10m.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
The ads and the outlook app, repeated notifications **** me off but with W10M being dead and Ms leaving us with no choice, I moved to android, glad to have a note 8, the spen is awesome.

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Ugh.... I forgot about the notifications. I'm my opinion the whole notification system is trash. Repeats, no order to them. The system is that I can't clear, and the train wreck of icons on top of the screen.

Last edited:

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Ugh.... I forgot about the notifications. I'm my opinion the whole notification system is trash. Repeats, no order to them. The system is that I can't clear, and the train wreck of icons on top of the screen.
I just hope Microsoft are reading all of these threads and decide again on a surface phone running W10M.

Sent from mTalk

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife an android, Note 5 after her 1520 finally died. To put it succinctly, I don't know why android is so popular. I am regretting the day I have to finally move to that platform. I figure I have another year with my X3.

3165dwayne

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Dude, why do all of you keep going to the worst of the worst just because they advertise more? Samsung is awful. Try HTC, Motorola, or even Huawei. Leave Samsung alone, they'll never get any better.

stodge

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
The SquareHome 2 launcher gives you Win10 mobile like tiles. I use it on my Android phone and it's fairly easy to set up and looks fairly decent.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Dude, why do all of you keep going to the worst of the worst just because they advertise more? Samsung is awful. Try HTC, Motorola, or even Huawei. Leave Samsung alone, they'll never get any better.

That is an opinion. If Samsung was actually the worst, they wouldn't keep outselling everyone else year after year. They wouldn't have return customers.

3165dwayne

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
That is an opinion. If Samsung was actually the worst, they wouldn't keep outselling everyone else year after year. They wouldn't have return customers.
Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's the best. Speed tests and we'll documented reports have been conducted by smarter minds at XDA that shows that Samsung has terrible software

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's the best. Speed tests and we'll documented reports have been conducted by smarter minds at XDA that shows that Samsung has terrible software
It is the best overall package, taking everything into consideration: performance, features, price, availability. That is why it's popular.

The speed or performance of the software is not the only measure of how good the device is.

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Android is the world's most popular phone OS because it was second and Apple made a conscious decision to try and keep the margins on their phones extremely high rather than be a market share leader. Also, different Android OEMs offer very different experiences.

Samsung - great hardware, the most bloatware in the industry, good security, great updates.

Blackberry - good hardware, no bloatware, great security, great updates

Motorola - good hardware, no bloatware, no security, poor updates, low price

Sony - Great Hardware, No bloatware, No Security, Great Updates, Xperia X models can be flashed to sailfish.

LG - Great hardware, some bloatware, no security, poor updates

Choose the mix that is right for you.

NMCynthia

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Try the new Pixel phones ... no bloatware, the best cameras, security, and guaranteed updates and upgrades for 3 years. Not as good as Apple upgrades, but then you're not tied up in Apple's "walled garden" either!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa