Pixel 2 or something else?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If you think for one second that Microsoft aren't harvesting and selling your date too then you're grossly mistaken. Google is just more upfront about what they do with your data

This is what I believe; they do the same things, but Google is more upfront about it. That's why we think they're worse.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I suggest they sign in to Android Central and read an excellent article that explains what Google does, and doesn't do, with our data

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
The best android phone right now, arguably, is the Samsung S8 plus.
Great battery life and big screen in a small format.
Believe me Sammy also did the software right.

I agree. I'm test driving an S8+, and really like it. I need expandable storage, which is missing from the Pixel. Plus, i've always loved the Samsung cameras. My first Windows phone was an ATIV S; loved it!!! Then, moved up to the ATIV SE; fantastic phone, way ahead of its time. The cameras on these Samsung phones were awesome. Yes - my 950 XL has an amazing camera, but so far, my S8+ camera is just as good...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
While the Pixel devices are great they are also extremely expensive for what they are. I use a Nokia 8 and I'm really happy with it, especially the little Windows Phone/10 Mobile things that have been added on top of a relatively stock version of Android. Couple that with the fact that the Nokia 8 WILL get the pro camera app from the Nokia 8 Sirocco, which looks very much like the camera app from Nokia Windows Phones, and Android P I would say that it's probably the best phone for Windows Phone users. When you consider that HMD Global are based in Finland opposite the Nokia HQ and are staffed by ex-Nokia and Microsoft employees then the Windows Phone influence is understandable.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
As someone who made the move from the 950XL to the Pixel 2 XL I am less than impressed. The only thing which is better are the apps and even then bizarrely I have discovered that one or two are actually worse (basically as they were wrappers the online versions support more features than the Android app) this is definitely the exception though. Also as a UK person I do use the tap to pay but again as a UK person who has been using contactless payments via a card for literally years this is hardly groundbreaking.

This was a business phone and I think this is primarily my issue. The Windows Phone worked so well with Office 365 its a huge backwards step to move to the Google platform. I find it incredible frustrating I cannot change my default mail and calendar function to Outlook and so cannot make use of a bunch of features which only really work if you commit to switching to Google mail and calendar.

The camera may be better on the Pixel but the camera on the 950 was no slouch so really the benefit is small.

Oh and not lets forget the other big pain in the behind the text service that has worked in every car I have had with Bluetooth since Windows mobile 7 no longer works. My car now only makes a noise and I have fiddle about to find the message on the car screen then cannot reply unless its a canned message. Really missing the reading the text aloud and responding via voice. This seems to only work in cars that have specifically designed Android or Apple in mind whereas Microsoft found a way for this to work in pretty much all cars years ago, bad Microsoft.

Just remember one other thing the Pixel definitely has over the 950 XL is battery life. The 950XL had pretty good battery life or so I thought but my Pixel 2 XL last 2 or 3 days. This is probably testament to how I use the phone though which is less since looking at it tells me nothing and I have to switch it on and look notifications, I mean so yesterday.

That all said, Microsoft dropped the ball it is what it is so I can harp on about all the things I miss but this is what I have now its just not as good for me in daily use.

Not sure if you're aware but Google Pay allows you to pay via contactless for amounts over the £30 limit that cards have so not ground-breaking but certainly more convenient.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I would wait on the Nokia 8 Sirocco. That phone seems like a good transition from my L950 to an android phone. Good camera (Zeiss optics), wireless charging 128GB of storage

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I would wait on the Nokia 8 Sirocco. That phone seems like a good transition from my L950 to an android phone. Good camera (Zeiss optics), wireless charging 128GB of storage

TBH I don't really see anything in the Nokia 8 Sirocco that's worth waiting for. The Nokia 8 already has a 128GB version and better resolution cameras, also with Zeiss optics. Wireless charging couldn't be added as the Nokia 8 uses aluminium instead of glass, not only that but it's a gimmick and not even truly wireless, it's known as inductive charging, as the "plate" still has to be plugged into the wall and the phone has to stay in contact with it. I also think that with the Sirocco HMD Global missed the perfect opportunity to add the Snapdragon 845 into a high end device, so really the only major difference is the extra 2GB of RAM, not really worth the increased cost if you ask me.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
TBH I don't really see anything in the Nokia 8 Sirocco that's worth waiting for. The Nokia 8 already has a 128GB version and better resolution cameras, also with Zeiss optics. Wireless charging couldn't be added as the Nokia 8 uses aluminium instead of glass, not only that but it's a gimmick and not even truly wireless, it's known as inductive charging, as the "plate" still has to be plugged into the wall and the phone has to stay in contact with it. I also think that with the Sirocco HMD Global missed the perfect opportunity to add the Snapdragon 845 into a high end device, so really the only major difference is the extra 2GB of RAM, not really worth the increased cost if you ask me.

i just miss all those features coming from a lumia to an android phone. I'm gonna miss that physical 2 stage camera button though. No modern phones have camera buttons these day.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I finally moved on from my 950 to a Pixel 2. I couldn't wait any longer and agonized over the S2 or the Pixel 2.

I ended up going with the Pixel 2, but as much as the software on the Pixel 2 might be better I really miss a lot of the features that were on my 950 that the S9 has that the Pixel doesn't, like the 3.5mm jack and wireless charging. The one thing I really didn't like about the S9 was the curved edges. I think if Samsung come out with a flat faced phone with an in-screen fingerprint scanner (whilst keeping wireless charging and the headphone jack) I would upgrade to get what presumably would the S10. Or of Nokia comes out with the Nokia 9 which checks all these boxes, I would upgrade to that.

Anyway, all that was just a bunch of back story into my questions regarding the Pixel. I have set it up as best I can with all MS services (I wish MS would come out with some push button solution to installing and setting up an Android "The Microsoft Way". Going through all the settings is a pain. One of the major things I am not liking is any of the voice input to text message. Cortana was so great at that on windows phone, particularly with punctuation inserting. I am not seeing that on Android (is that a setting?), and more importantly, when I input a text message with voice, on W10M I used to get the prompt to send the text, to which i could respond with my voice to send it and keep texting truly hands free. I have not found a way to do thin in Android yet.

On a similar note, I was looking at getting some new headphones, and I was intrigued by the Pixel Buds, only from the standpoint of if they will use Cortana, if I have replaced the google assistant with Cortana on my phone. Anyone out there know about that?

Andreas Lagos

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyone interested in the Pixel 2? I have a kinda blue and black one. Both unlocked, and a New in box google home mini to go along with it...can't really do android and am either coming back to windows or giving iphone a try. Let me know and I can send the Swappa listing for pics etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium