Best Android Camera Phone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for an Android Camera phone, one with 21 megapixel or higher rear camera with HDR & RAW support; I don't plan on making a purchase immediately only what is available ?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Before I give suggestions, I have to warn you that megapixels rarely ever tell the story on the Android side. Sony likes to load their XZ Premiums and XZ phones in general with high megapixels but the actual camera output is average or not great. It's all about software processing.

I would suggest the Google Pixel 2 series. It doesn't have RAW support but there are apps for that. I do believe that the Samsung Galaxy S9+ has it in their camera mode.

However a phone that will more than likely meet this need for you is the Huawei P20 Pro. That has 41 megapixel shooters (multiple cameras on the back of it) that can also shoot RAW, if I'm not mistaken.

ReprobusR

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
The Hwawei P20 looks good but no Gorilla Glass. The camera on the Galaxy S9+ is weak. I wish the Hwawei had Gorilla Glass and wrap screen then it would be perfect.

If I were to buy today, I'd probably buy the Hwawei but it lacks two things I'd like it to have.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The best pics I see are from my friends with the Pixel 2. I bought the LG V30 for other reasons and am disappointed with the camera.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
There are three different options for you, in my opinion. The Pixel 2 easily has the best single shooter around, and does some incredible things on the software side. It doesn't have RAW support, however, but I'm sure you can remedy that. The LG V30 can't compete with the Pixel 2 in straight picture quality, but it has every camera feature imaginable, is a fantastic video performer, and the wide angle camera is a boon. Then there's the Huawei P20 Pro, which has an insane tri-camera set up that can easily produce some fantastic shots. Based on what you've told me, the P20 Pro might be the way to go. I think you can ween a better photo out of the V30 and P20 Pro using their manual controls and with RAW support, but for a casual shooter absolutely nothing beats the Pixel 2.

Mike Semblance

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I never bought the Lumia 950XL for its camera. and it still works fine. I think I can hold off until the foldable device (with SIM or eSIM) and cshell comes out Christmas 2018. Theres no reason to use a third party phone yet, as my whole business and home is Microsoft.

danved

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
There are no "apps" for RAW support. RAW is the holy grail for serious photographers who will turn a picture into art using Photoshop Lightroom and such programs. Don't get confused over its importance nor take the request for RAW lightly.

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking for an Android Camera phone, one with 21 megapixel or higher rear camera with HDR & RAW support; I don't plan on making a purchase immediately only what is available ?

My Pixel 2 XL definitely takes nicer pictures than my old 950 XL, the 950 was good, but the Pixel 2 just plain looks better.

Could be worth also looking at the Nokia 8 Sirocco, I haven't used it personally, but I imagine it's packing a decent shooter.

MOBBAK

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site

Huawei P20 Pro is the best for now, but there is one issue. You can't use optical image stabilization while you are recording a video in 4K

Sin Ogaris

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Huawei P20 Pro is the best for now, but there is one issue. You can't use optical image stabilization while you are recording a video in 4K

I don't understand why. Isn't OIS a hardware thing and thus is independent of any software settings? Unless it's a dual camera and only one has OIS and it's the other that is used for video.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand why. Isn't OIS a hardware thing and thus is independent of any software settings? Unless it's a dual camera and only one has OIS and it's the other that is used for video.

Yeah that might be the case for it since it is a dual camera.

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
P20 pro. TBH the cameras on the top phones are pretty comparable in regular situations. But the P20P Pro is head and shoulders above the others for night shots and zoom. And it outputs in RAW. While Samsung and Pixel produce decent photos they don't have a differentiation like Huawei.

anilrawat673

Apr 5, 2019
Visit site
You should go for HUAWEI P30 Pro because it has amazing camera specs. It is the latest flagship smartphone from HUAWEI which has 4 cameras setup. Nowadays it's one of the best camera smartphone in the global market.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
You should go for HUAWEI P30 Pro because it has amazing camera specs. It is the latest flagship smartphone from HUAWEI which has 4 cameras setup. Nowadays it's one of the best camera smartphone in the global market.

If someone don't mind older tech and want's to save a few bucks the older P20 Series is no slouch either in the camera department, or performance. Own both P20 & Pro with either wowing when it comes to taking photos, the lesser of the two impresses in night mode as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12