Use Android Phone with Microsoft Apps

slimshady#WP

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have used WP for many years but now I need apps which are only availble to Android devices. I there fore want to buy an android device for the time being, but I would like to continue using MS services. Is there any way to remove stock google apps (e.g. GMail, Chrome) and instead open every link (email, URL) in the respective Microsoft App (Outlook, edge, etc.)?

I want to add my Google Account for Store apps, but thats about it. I do not want to sync my google contacts or calendar.

What do I need for this? Will any device do? Should I use LineageOS?

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Get AndroidOne device like Nokia. Cheaper than Pixel and OnePlus.

Overall it's still better to stick with google apps on Android rather than MS. So MS strategy is not the wisest.

I have installed MS launcher...., but switched back to stock launcher.😁

Chrome is still the best browser on Android.

Gmail app is still a better mail client than bluemail, outlook....

In Rome do what the Romans do.😊

Last edited:

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You can disable most Google apps (chrome, gmail, movies, books etc) and set other apps as default. I'm using Outlook (gmail sucks ;) ) and just moved from FF to Edge (chrome sucks :) ). What best suits each user 😇

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you want the least amount of Google apps on your phone go with Sony or BlackBerry. Sony uses proprietary apps for gallery, music, file manager and the Swift Keyboard right out of the box. BlackBerry goes with their own contacts, calendar and keyboard to keep Google's prying eyes out and there's no better notification center like the BlackBerry Hub.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Get AndroidOne device like Nokia. Cheaper than Pixel and OnePlus

I agreed with most of the other stuff, but not this lol. We don't know which phone OP had, so suggesting android1 probably isn't the best idea. Cheap doesn't always equal performance. Def not when it comes to Android xd

Whilst writing this it dawned on me that Android1 devices are supposed to be running stock android so maybe just maybe that delivers some speed?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Go for it! You can use all of Microsoft's apps on Android and they work just as well, if not better, than they do on Windows Mobile.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I have an AndroidOne phone from Xiaomi with all the MS apps from WM. It works well enough and yes, even Microsoft's launcher and Android keyboard are good on Android.

Ferkner

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I just got an Android phone this weekend. I immediately installed the Microsoft Launcher, but it's too androidy for me. So I installed Launcher 10, which mimics the Windows Mobile layout excellently, including live tiles (that's a paid feature). I ditched Chrome and Gmail and defaulted Outlook and Edge. Currently I am struggling with the Google Photos app and Contacts. I wish there was a Photos and People app for Android that works like it does on Windows Mobile. Maybe there is, but it's not made by MS.

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The SquareHome2 launcher includes native people and photos apps that mimics, if not improves on the WM Live tiles. This launcher is also a bit more customizable than Launcher 10 for the live tile look.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720