Finally Moving to Android after using Windows phone for 6 years!

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
After using the windows phones for almost 6 years i am finally moving to Android.
The transition is going to be tough.

I have bought a brand new Nokia 8 (2017) 64GB phone as my daily driver.
The reason for buying this phone is that i have never used a phone other than the NOKIA and i did not wanted to break the streak!!
I wanted a phone which would last for at least 3 Years hence Nokia 8(Wanted a metal build and i hate the notch display so ditched the Nokia 7.1).
I have been a member of this forum for quiet some long time and i would like to thank each and every one of your help and support.

All that being said ; Lets get to the main purpose of this post.
I would like this transition to be seamless and for that to happen i need your help.
I would like to use the Microsoft services like the Here Maps(Very Important) , Cortana, OneDrive integration( Mostly Documents) , OneNote, Office suite,etc on the new phone.
I would also like to move my existing SMSs from my Windows Phone to the New phone.
It would be great if someone could just list some of the things i should keep in mind during this transition.
Also it would be great if someone could just share links to post/guides to carry out this entire process.
I had gone through couple of posts on Windows Central and Android Central but i am too lazy to dig into the forums to get those now.
Kindly note that i would not like to use the Microsoft Launcher (Personal Preference) and would like to stick to what the OEM (NOKIA) provides by default.

Thank & Regards,
Raviraj
(Windows phone ****** )

Last edited:

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
After using the windows phones for almost 6 years i am finally moving to Android.

The reason for buying this phone is that i have never used a phone other than the NOKIA and i did not wanted to break the streak!!
I wanted a phone which would last for at least 3 Years hence Nokia 8(Wanted a metal build and i hate the notch display so ditched the Nokia 7.1).
I have been a member of this forum for quiet some long time and i would like to thank each and every one of your help and support.

I would like this transition to be seamless and for that to happen i need your help.
I would like to use the Microsoft services like the Here Maps(Very Important) , Cortana, OneDrive integration( Mostly Documents) , OneNote, Office suite,etc on the new phone.
I would also like to move my existing SMSs from my Windows Phone to the New phone.
It would be great if someone could just list some of the things i should keep in mind during this transition.
Also it would be great if someone could just share links to post/guides to carry out this entire process.
I had gone through couple of posts on Windows Central and Android Central but i am too lazy to dig into the forums to get those now.
Kindly note that i would not like to use the Microsoft Launcher (Personal Preference) and would like to stick to what the OEM (NOKIA) provides by default.

Thank & Regards,
Raviraj
(Windows phone ****** )

I was a WP fan and user from 2012 until 2017. Now I am on Android. I picked Xiaomi. Like Nokia, they use a stock version of Android, with no bloat. For me, I preferred the MS launcher rather than Xiaomi's one.

You can download all the MS apps from the Play Store. To transfer your old SMSes, try the software in the link below.

https://medium.com/@leonardocezaryc...es-from-windows-phone-to-android-daf53440d485

I am not sure about Here Maps though, sorry. I had to bite the bullet and use Google Maps for that one.

Chuck Finley69

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi!

Thank & Regards,
Raviraj
(Windows phone ****** )

Each of the Mobile Nations sites uses the same login information. Be sure to visit here and to visit Android Central as well. I use multiple OS devices and I go across the various sites. I find the different perspectives very helpful. Similar but different if you will. Good luck...

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
As someone who was in your exact situation about a year and half ago, I have some advised based off your post.

1. Drop Here Maps - I know, you lose all your saved places, maps, etc. Google Maps is just plain better. I fought it for years but gave in and eventually I learned that I'm happier for it.

2. Use the Microsoft Launcher. it offers integration with Windows and Microsoft products like Cortana and Office that you otherwise wouldn't be able to get. The launcher Nokia has in place is essentially stock, so you won't miss much if anything.

3. SMS Backup & Restore worked well for me. I assume it's still available in the store.

4. Android will fight your attempts, but once you get your settings right, using Microsoft services instead of Google's works great. OneDrive is essential on my Android. Use Outlook, I don't care what anyone says, GMail sucks.

5. Use/download Google default apps. Many phone makers come with their own phone, messages, photos, .etc. apps. In my experience, you get a cleaner and better experience using the default apps made by Google.

6. Get your settings right. The process may be slower than you expect, but have patience. Getting the phone's settings and individual app settings dialed in is crucial to your satisfaction.

stodge

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
I find that notifications don't work very well for Outlook on android. For one thing, I can't seem to delete emails via the notification on the lock screen.

Last edited:

anon(8098745)

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you so much.
Yes i am planning to use google maps as my primary navigation app but i wanted to know if i can migrate all my favorites from here maps to google maps?
Secondly could you elaborate more on the SMSs backup and restore?
How did you do it?
I exported my sms using Backup+restore app on windows phone but it outputs a .MSG.
I read somewhere that one can open this file on outlook but i want to export the SMSs as individual conversations so that i can read them using a text editor.
Any idea how to go about it?
Thanks.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Try both maps and decide then. I'm using only Here for navigation and public transport (when in a place where I need that - rarely). Transferring saved locations - likely not possible.
SMS & MMS - there is a thread somewhere with little bit of Python. But does the phone not offer a way to transfer phonebook etc. data from your old phone?

nlm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Use both HERE Maps and Google maps. They have their strengths and advantages. HERE can be used offline and your favourites will be ported over if you use the same log in credentials. Google maps has better/more accurate secondary layers such as cycling routes and traffic.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
As someone who was in your exact situation about a year and half ago, I have some advised based off your post.

1. Drop Here Maps - I know, you lose all your saved places, maps, etc. Google Maps is just plain better. I fought it for years but gave in and eventually I learned that I'm happier for it.

2. Use the Microsoft Launcher. it offers integration with Windows and Microsoft products like Cortana and Office that you otherwise wouldn't be able to get. The launcher Nokia has in place is essentially stock, so you won't miss much if anything.

3. SMS Backup & Restore worked well for me. I assume it's still available in the store.

4. Android will fight your attempts, but once you get your settings right, using Microsoft services instead of Google's works great. OneDrive is essential on my Android. Use Outlook, I don't care what anyone says, GMail sucks.

5. Use/download Google default apps. Many phone makers come with their own phone, messages, photos, .etc. apps. In my experience, you get a cleaner and better experience using the default apps made by Google.

6. Get your settings right. The process may be slower than you expect, but have patience. Getting the phone's settings and individual app settings dialed in is crucial to your satisfaction.

I basically did all of this when I moved to Android, except for point 3 which I didn't need. All of MS's own apps on Android, as well as their launcher, are all good apps to use on Android.

Jean_Mikael

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
So I did most of that on my Nokia 7 Plus in September last year, and it all worked fine except I never got Googles calendar to pick up my Outlook calendar bookings.
I had to sent my phone on service and it was factory resettled when it came back. Being so negative as I am not having my old Lumia anymore, I refused to use the backup service in Google docs. So now I can't make the Android contacts to sync to Outlook contacts. Anyone know how?
/ Mikael Olsson, Sweden

Dush Ku

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site

how do you do this? Is it an app in google app store? it takes messages off your old windows phone and transfers them to the new android?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3