A question for other Windows Phone/Mobile converts

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Which services are you using now? Have you stuck with Microsoft or did you move to Google? A bit of both?

I keep switching. I miss Microsoft but their apps are not always as good on Android which I think is normal given Google owns the OS.

So what are you guys using?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Depends on the platform. As the OP mentioned, MS apps don’t always work as well on other platforms and I go straight to Outlook. Whether it’s Android or iOS, the app blows chunks. I mean, the calendar still doesn’t sync with the default calendar app and that’s just crazy. Nine works fairly well and is as feature-rich as Outlook on Windows but push services have always lagged behind. OneDrive, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are as good as it gets so they’re my main apps regardless of platform.

On Android I use the BlackBerry Hub and the BlackBerry keyboard without hesitation. The Hub allows me to pin separate accounts to my home screen to let me know which account is receiving an email like I did on Windows Mobile. On iOS, the pickins are slim to nonexistent.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
Depends on the platform. As the OP mentioned, MS apps don’t always work as well on other platforms and I go straight to Outlook. Whether it’s Android or iOS, the app blows chunks. I mean, the calendar still doesn’t sync with the default calendar app and that’s just crazy. Nine works fairly well and is as feature-rich as Outlook on Windows but push services have always lagged behind. OneDrive, Word, Excel and Powerpoint are as good as it gets so they’re my main apps regardless of platform.

On Android I use the BlackBerry Hub and the BlackBerry keyboard without hesitation. The Hub allows me to pin separate accounts to my home screen to let me know which account is receiving an email like I did on Windows Mobile. On iOS, the pickins are slim to nonexistent.
What phone are you on? Outlook Calendar syncs fine on the Samsung default calendar. It even shows the Microsoft To-Do tasks.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you on? Outlook Calendar syncs fine on the Samsung default calendar. It even shows the Microsoft To-Do tasks.

Unless they updated the app today, Outlook for Android doesn’t sync with any built in calendar. Galaxy S8+, Note 8, Pixel XL, Nexus 6 and Moto Z3 Play - none of them do it. You’ll get calendar notifications but it’s from the calendar feature within the Outlook app.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

+1 for Nine and OneDrive. I also use OneNote just for the occasional quick note.

I don't have any interest in exporting my contacts to Gmail.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
Unless they updated the app today, Outlook for Android doesn’t sync with any built in calendar. Galaxy S8+, Note 8, Pixel XL, Nexus 6 and Moto Z3 Play - none of them do it. You’ll get calendar notifications but it’s from the calendar feature within the Outlook app.
I've been syncing my Outlook.com Calendar to my Samsungs since the Note II and with my S7 Edge and now my S9 with no problem. But I don't even have the Outlook app. I sync it directly through Exchange.

This is great because this lets my Microsoft To-Do show up on the always on display too.

Here's a screenshot from my S9
52f0e1539a4b3be7410b7baf5fd4141f.jpg

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I've been syncing my Outlook.com Calendar to my Samsungs since the Note II and with my S7 Edge and now my S9 with no problem. But I don't even have the Outlook app. I sync it directly through Exchange.

This is great because this lets my Microsoft To-Do show up on the always on display too.

Here's a screenshot from my S9
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190313/52f0e1539a4b3be7410b7baf5fd4141f.jpg

I didn't know about the tasks in the Samsung calendar! I'm definitely going to go check that out!

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
I didn't know about the tasks in the Samsung calendar! I'm definitely going to go check that out!
Yeah. All you have to do is go to settings>accounts and backup>accounts>add acount>microsoft activesync. Add your outlook account and boom your emails, calendars, contacts, and tasks show up on the relevant Samsung apps.
No need for the Outlook app at all.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. All you have to do is go to settings>accounts and backup>accounts>add acount>microsoft activesync. Add your outlook account and boom your emails, calendars, contacts, and tasks show up on the relevant Samsung apps.
No need for the Outlook app at all.

You came very close to making me think I was crazy. You should’ve mentioned you didn’t have the Outlook app. Samsung and Sony have good native email clients but if you have a Nokia, Pixel or any vanilla Android phone you only get Gmail. Even though it supports Exchange it’s a limited experience on Gmail which forces you to get Outlook or Nine.

As I mentioned before, Outlook for Android does not populate your built in Calendar.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
You came very close to making me think I was crazy. You should’ve mentioned you didn’t have the Outlook app. Samsung and Sony have good native email clients but if you have a Nokia, Pixel or any vanilla Android phone you only get Gmail. Even though it supports Exchange it’s a limited experience on Gmail which forces you to get Outlook or Nine.

As I mentioned before, Outlook for Android does not populate your built in Calendar.
Why force yourself to use the Outlook app then? Can't your phone directly sync the calendar to Exchange? Just turn off calendar notifications for Outlook app and use it exclusively for email. Or use a different email app then directly sync Outlook Calendar to the phone's built in Calendar.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Why force yourself to use the Outlook app then? Can't your phone directly sync the calendar to Exchange? Just turn off calendar notifications for Outlook app and use it exclusively for email. Or use a different email app then directly sync Outlook Calendar to the phone's built in Calendar.

As I said, not all OEMs ship with an email client. Google, Nokia, Motorola and others ship with Gmail only. Some companies also require you to use certain apps that they can enforce policy on, it’s not so cut and dried sometimes.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
As I said, not all OEMs ship with an email client. Google, Nokia, Motorola and others ship with Gmail only. Some companies also require you to use certain apps that they can enforce policy on, it’s not so cut and dried sometimes.
So basically it's another reason why not to choose 'stock' Android then.

Sorry. I'm just one of those people who thinks stock is overrated.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Windows? As in on PC as well?

So you're using Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs and so on?
Not using Windows on a PC much if at all lately.

With mobile I still enjoy aquamail. I back up to Google.
I never do any sort of work on mobile being retired, so docs or office apps aren't needed.
Never thought I would step away from a Windows PC.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I never do any sort of work on mobile being retired, so docs or office apps aren't needed.

I can’t imagine what that’s like, I still have 8 years of indentured servitude to go before retiring. Is it nice? Does the sun shine brighter?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I can’t imagine what that’s like, I still have 8 years of indentured servitude to go before retiring. Is it nice? Does the sun shine brighter?

So nice when the hand cuffs come off and that gate swings open
The sun is most definitely brighter.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Aquamail is my email app. I've even used it for business communications with my LG V20.

I primarily use a Windows PC to compose and edit Word documents and to watch Netflix or YouTube videos. Otherwise, I use my Android phone or tablet more than my PC.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Aquamail is my email app. I've even used it for business communications with my LG V20.

I primarily use a Windows PC to compose and edit Word documents and to watch Netflix or YouTube videos. Otherwise, I use my Android phone or tablet more than my PC.

How is Aquamail “better” than Nine or Outlook in your experience? I’m not a fan of either so I’m always looking for an alternative. The BlackBerry Hub is not available on iOS so I prefer a cross-platform solution.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077