Just switched from w10m. Need some help

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
So. Just finally gave up my alcatel idol 4s. Wondering how I should set my phone up.

I used cortana a lot. Mainly just for remind me to do this and that. Not just for day and time based stuff, but geofence.

But with cortana seemlingly on the way out, I'm wondering if I should switch to microsoft to-do? Is it really or not, I can't really keep up anymore.

Also, is it worth using swiftkey vs gboard?

One thing I noticed compared to windows phone is after you swipe type a word. If you press backspace it doesn't delete the whole word (I really like that in windows phone, and apparently gboard).

How do I download a folder from one drive. Is that only if you pay? Gosh so spoiled being a WP user I guess. But I couldn't figure out the same thing with google drive either ??????

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Out of your questions, here's what I can answer.

Swiftkey vs Gboard is personal preference. I have heard that SwiftKey fell behind previously but it is good now. If Gboard works better for you, go for it.

I'm not sure if you can do that. That might depend on your phone, what phone do you have?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had success with both Gboard and SwiftKey. I'm currently using SwiftKey, since it is easier for me with numeric symbols, but Gboard is also good. It's a matter of personal preference to me, and I can't say I recommend one or the other, since both have great features. I don't think you can go wrong with either, so I'd say to try out both and decide which one you prefer.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You can do a lot of similar things with Google Assistant that you can do with Cortana. Just comes down to what works for you. When I moved to Android I went with Google services to keep things a streamlined as possible. I find all of them very useful. I don't use Assistant that much as talking to my phone in public is a bit weird to me still.

I use GBoard and even though it's nowhere near the same as WP keyboard I personally like it. You can configure it a bit to how you want as well. With GBoard the word does get deleted in one go if you got the wrong word when you swipe. That doesn't help me much though.

As for folder download the best thing to do is to get a File Explorer app. This will allow you to copy/paste folders from your cloud drive(s) to your phone. Even your home network. I use File Commander and I bought it because I think it's that good.

I'm not sure why the actual apps don't allow this but this is the easiest way to get around this issue.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Guess I'll be sticking with gboard unless someone knows if there is a setting in swiftkey that will change how backspace works after a new word is typed. It makes sense to me to delete the whole word rather than just one character at a time.

Thanks for the tip about file explorer, didn't know it could copy a folder from google drive to local. Just tried it, it worked.

I was thinking I wanted to stick with Microsoft stack since I use reminders at work a lot and its helpful to have them on my phone too. I'm not not sure about trying to switch to microsoft to do, or continue using the generic reminder system in cortana.

How do I setup unique ringtones and text tones for specific contacts? Is that based specifically on which sms app you use or is it system level?

Also, it seems that you can't reply to a recent SMS without unlocking like you could in windows phone ☹

Btw One Plus 7p

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Use Contacts to set ringtone.

Select contact, tap three dots top right, select set ringtone.

As far as I know unless you use an app notifications are not actionable from lockscreen.

Haven't used any new MS apps so can't help you there.

chanchan05

Nov 21, 2018
Visit site
So. Just finally gave up my alcatel idol 4s. Wondering how I should set my phone up.

I used cortana a lot. Mainly just for remind me to do this and that. Not just for day and time based stuff, but geofence.

But with cortana seemlingly on the way out, I'm wondering if I should switch to microsoft to-do? Is it really or not, I can't really keep up anymore.

Also, is it worth using swiftkey vs gboard?

One thing I noticed compared to windows phone is after you swipe type a word. If you press backspace it doesn't delete the whole word (I really like that in windows phone, and apparently gboard).

How do I download a folder from one drive. Is that only if you pay? Gosh so spoiled being a WP user I guess. But I couldn't figure out the same thing with google drive either ������

Cortana is integrated into Microsoft Launcher now. It's not a separate app.

Microsoft to-do is actually pretty good.

On Swiftkey, just hold press the backspace to delete by word, and one tap for per character. This doesn't change whether you swiped or not. You can adjust the long press duration if you like.

As for offline folders in OneDrive, yes it's only for O365 subscribers. For Google Drive just use the set to offline option.

RobbieRobski

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I have o365 at work but not personally. I wonder if it will grant me the offline features. I'll have to check.

About custom text tones, I don't see an option. I went to the contacts app, but I only see a ringtone option. Nothing for texts.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have o365 at work but not personally. I wonder if it will grant me the offline features. I'll have to check.

About custom text tones, I don't see an option. I went to the contacts app, but I only see a ringtone option. Nothing for texts.

Sorry didn't see the SMS tones bit.

If your standard messaging app (usually Android standard) has the ability to do it, (can't find it on mine) it will be there. You can change your messaging app if you want this ability if your standard app doesn't have it. I think most do.

Basically you tap the conversation, then the three dots, it's in there somewhere (under Details or Settings or Notifications). As each messaging app is different they all handle it a different way. Most new phones use the standard Android (Google) messaging app. Except for Samsung of course.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Personally would prefer if it was all handled in Contacts but that's Android for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills