Any Android users use Launcher 10 on their phones?

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Andoid (and iOS) are a lot like Windows has been for 30 years. In fact, Windows went to the Live Tile system and then pretty much dropped it. All that's left is Live Tiles in the Start menu.

And the days of live tiles being in the Start menu are definitely numbered. I think I'm the only person who actually sets up live tiles properly in Windows 10 (after being on W10M). Everyone else just never touches the default layout.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi, welcome, y gracias. I'm still not using angroid, but I do have two phones warming up for when they're needed; so, your report is encouraging. Two questions. please: Is there a glance screen with those notifications, or where do you "quick glance" see them? Also, can you set differential audio alerts for each kind of notification (I use four distinct ones for texts, email, voicemail, and calendar.)? Thanks again.

I use 'NEXT' Lockscreen; it was developed by Microsoft years ago. It gives me all my notifications, and Bing daily Wallpapers. Unfortunately, like MANY other Microsoft products, it is no longer available to new users; it hasn't been updated since last summer, but I can still install it on my phones because I had it way back...
Screenshot_20191231-181036_Next.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Thank you: I am going to try this. Very good on the individual tone customization. I meant the idle/glance screen that on my 950, always shows, at-a-glance, the time, date, and next calendar appointment, and then on the bottom, notification counts for new VM, calls, texts, and mails. So that I can, at a glance, see if I can continue to ignore my phone, or tend to it when I see a VM, call, or text notification count/change.

On a Sony, I get only a blank screen, and on an LG V20 I do get a too-little "second screen", with basics only. The V20 does have a double-tap to give me time and date, which is appreciated with the power button/finger-print reader being on the back. The Sony requires pushing the right-side power button just to see the time: how primitive.

This is my NEXT Lockscreen:

Screenshot_20191231-183115_Next.jpg

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
And the days of live tiles being in the Start menu are definitely numbered.

I think too they'll disappear. It seems kind of ridiculous to me to have Live Tiles in the Start menu. I mean, who clicks the Start button and then sits and looks at the results? We click the Start button, find the shortcut we need, and click it. The Start menu disappears and we use the program or app that opens.

Was putting the Live Tiles in a relatively useless location a step towards subtly removing them? It basically reduces their function to a simple shortcut.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I think too they'll disappear. It seems kind of ridiculous to me to have Live Tiles in the Start menu. I mean, who clicks the Start button and then sits and looks at the results? We click the Start button, find the shortcut we need, and click it. The Start menu disappears and we use the program or app that opens.

Was putting the Live Tiles in a relatively useless location a step towards subtly removing them? It basically reduces their function to a simple shortcut.

I actually find live tiles on the Start menu useful, once I have set it up. It allows me to access my most used apps must faster. But I am definitely in the minority here.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I actually find live tiles on the Start menu useful, once I have set it up. It allows me to access my most used apps must faster.

Do you actually use them as a Live Tile, or more as a shortcut? Do you actually look at whatever info they display and then decide whether or not to open the app?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I never used them and actually reduced their size to small. All apps on my start menu in Windows 10 are x86/x64 apps. I don't use anything from Microsoft Store at all on desktop PC.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I never used them and actually reduced their size to small. All apps on my start menu in Windows 10 are x86/x64 apps. I don't use anything from Microsoft Store at all on desktop PC.

Same here all around. Live Tiles never made sense to me on a desktop.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Do you know any Calendar app that allow you to integrate the Outlook calendar and have notifications in the Live Tile with Launcher 10? (Not only the day info).

I found the One Calendar that seems very simply, as the Microsoft Calendar in W10M, but it doesn't show the notifications.

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Do you know any Calendar app that allow you to integrate the Outlook calendar and have notifications in the Live Tile with Launcher 10? (Not only the day info).

I found the One Calendar that seems very simply, as the Microsoft Calendar in W10M, but it doesn't show the notifications.

Thanks.

Which phone do you have? For my S10, I have to have the native Samsung Calendar also set up with my accounts, and then all my notifications show up on the Outlook Live Tile using Launcher 10.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Which phone do you have? For my S10, I have to have the native Samsung Calendar also set up with my accounts, and then all my notifications show up on the Outlook Live Tile using Launcher 10.
I have the Nokia 9. It has a Calendar App, but I can only conect the main Gmail account of the phone to it. I don't understand why.

So, the calendar that you're showing in this next photo, is the Samsung Calendar with notification live tile? Or is a widget?

It looks nice. I couldn't achieve yet the Outlook app showin a badge count with the notifications number of emails. Also happening with the telephone (app) icon (it doesn't show the number of missed calls). But WhatsApp and Message app are working properly. Any idea for what can be the reason or what I can try?

Thank you again and happy new year!

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
It's the Outlook Live Tile; it's not a Widget. Sometimes Launcher 10 is a bit buggy with notification numbers; try restarting your phone. Also, play around the the 'Edit' function for the Live Tiles; there's quite a bit of flexibility with sizing and settings...

Screenshot_20200108-221250_Launcher 10.jpg

Last edited:

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
It's the Outlook Live Tile; it's not a Widget. Sometimes Launcher 10 is a bit buggy with notification numbers; try restarting your phone. Also, play around the the 'Edit' function for the Live Tiles; there's quite a bit of flexibility with sizing and settings...

View attachment 141800

I shut off the mobile to charge it, so I have restarted it many times without success, and also done a soft reset. Notifications live tiles with the preview of a new email appear in the icon (if it is at least 2x2 sized), but not the badge count. Big mistery xD.

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

The Outlook live tile can be buggy. For example, I have a badge count still when the email was deleted. Notifications, in general, are not consistently being reflected in the live tiles.

But still, there is a lot to like about Launcher 10.
4620f5224e41e75fe4fd692ace545ad7.jpg
c25b9dfa92e58a59c495e9b849d33d08.jpg

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, set wallpaper in Launcher 10, choose Live Wallpapers, then Bing. Cortana can be the digital assistant with or without Launcher 10, but it's nowhere near as functional as with Win Mobile.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191229/04f4cde5e7a879fdd17d5a63861b7a53.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191229/ae9076eade93dbbdbd158716d47904c1.jpg

Hi, tried your advice. Can not find an app or setting in the native settings or Launcher 10 settings called "Live Walpaper". Would be willing to share how to exactly set daily wallpaper and to how to set between setting the wall paper as a default background, or confined as background with the confined borders of the live tiles?

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Have been using Launcher 10 in the new year 2020. For me lack of support for whatsapp was the nail in the coffin. If it continued I would have still used my lumia 950XL today. Am now trying Android on an A70. Tried Microsoft Launcher for a week. Didn't think twice and tried Launcher 10 first. Amazing Launcher. After a lot of fidgeting and buying the app, I felt more at home on Android. It's not windows phone, but it does feel familiar now to navigate Android. Feels more like home now. Launcher 10 is simply amazing in several other aspects. I'm amazed about the customization options, that what I missed as an upgrade of personalization on windows 10 mobile. The app makes up for that.

What I am missing to date:
-Pinning multiple email accounts as seperate live tiles, that also show the email badge count on the tiles
-Show individual contact notifactions and badge details on their widget live tiles
-Interactive tile widget for email. There is an interactive widget for email for outlook, but it does not fit, nor adapt to the tile and laucher UI design, doesn't even support dark mode. And there are serious touch and scrolling issues with the widget as a live tile at certain dimensions.
-Interactive tile widget for calendar. There is a widget from outlook app, but just like the email widget it has compatiblity, design and touch interaction issues.
-Option to hide the bottom navigation bar. On windows phone it would automatically slide down to hide as to have a complete full screen experience of the app. Though this might be solved with the upcoming new one UI and Android 10 navigation gestures. wait and see.
-A larger built in icon pack that can standardize the look and feel of the native and third party apps on Launcher 10. Luckily the app does support a wide range of icons and icon pack support, but it has been a ongoing search to fine just the right complete package.
-Be able to add a new page to the right. Currently new pages can only be added to the left
-Tile icon height increase to 7 (instead of 6 now). This would allow two lives with heights 6 and 7 to cover the screen from top to bottom nicely.
-Allow heights and widths of 0,5 increments. This would prevent bottom cut of for several images and bottom text labels
-Show rss feeds with images on pinned website tiles
-support a tile widget that autostarts a timer without having to enter the app. Possibly the tile could also show the countdown time and label of the timer.

Bugs that need fixing:
-stability of live tile editing. When editing live tiles they regularly disappear. On pressing the start/home button, or restarting the phone, everything turns to normal.
-Wandering live tiles. On long press of the start screen over a live tile at the bottom of the screen (not on de background area), the bottom tile starts wandering on its own in a downward direction on the home screen. The screen then remains unresponsive and only a system restart resolves the issue. The wandering is a slow behavior, it moves a couples of pixels per second continuously, but the movement is noticeable
-The live folder tile sometimes remains stuck in the background, when I empty the tiles completely from that folder. The tiles can not be pinned on top of it. The remnants of an empty tile, occupies that space. The user can not delete, edit or move it in any way. This distorts the layout. Only solution I have found is to restart the phone and redo the layout. Annoying.

Ideas for the future:
-Support a live tile that supports a widget of turn by turn directions from a navigation app on the live tile widget, without having to enter the app or leaving the home screen.
-put limits on certain tile widget sizes. For example the spotify widget is practically useless when the width is maller than 2 and unusable at 1x1. Unless the developer can rewrap the album art and controls to match the dimensions of the tile.
-Help support the developer of the outlook app to provide more customizable widgets (tiles) (=dark mode, transparency, solve conflicting touch scrolling and selection input issues when changing the dimensions of the widgets)
-Support an option to pin multiple instances of the photo's/image tiles and be able to control the transparency of the those widgets.
-Be ablet to play a (short) video on a YouTube widget live tile
-Dynamic small and low memory weather animation live tiles
-Improve performance of editing tiles. Because they are still relatively error prone and thus a "lengthy" process a suggestion for a different approach. For example instead of longpress, use a three finger swipe on the screen, to enter the homescreen into edit mode. Three fingers to close. Also optimize conflict of gesture input, that inferes with the outlook mail and calendar app widget. I think the scrolling of the home screen interferes as a layer of scrolling within the widget, which also interferes with its performance on the screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200202-150054_Launcher 10_LI.jpg
    Screenshot_20200202-150054_Launcher 10_LI.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20200202-145345_Launcher 10_LI.jpg
    Screenshot_20200202-145345_Launcher 10_LI.jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 7

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member