Samsung Galaxy S3 pre-orders nears 9 million, game over for WP?

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S3 pre-orders reach 9 million beating the iPhone4s 4 million pre-orders and expected to become the fastest selling consumer device in history. It will be interesting to see how many pre-orders the iPhone5 will get later in the year. Among all of this Windows Phone is like a choir boy caught in the middle of a pub brawl with a meagre 2% of the market.

Our hardware has hardly changed since launch and nothing exciting on the software front since Mango which in reality should have been the launch OS anyway. Nokia is doing the best they can but there is only so much prancing around one can do to promote the product when you're hindered by the OS. Microsoft's silence on Windows Phone 8 when the S3 is about to launch and the hype surrounding the iPhone 5 doesn't help to get us excited about the future of Windows Phone. I'm holding off upgrading my Samsung Omnia WP7 phone to see what is on offer for WP8 phone. I hope we are not disappointed but this is last chance saloon for Microsoft, if WP fails there is no way MS can ever get back into the mobile space. Android getting better with every release I will not be averse to switching platforms.

Core2uu

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
These are 9 million pre-orders from carriers; the iPhone had 4 million consumer pre-orders. The S3 may be a hotly anticipated phone but from a consumer demand standpoint, the iPhone is still king.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I don't see how Galaxy S3 sales are indicative of the future of WP or even Android.

Its only one phone from one OEM and we're practically GUARANTEED to get a Samsung Focus S2 that is a complete knockoff of the Android version, this time even with identical Krait SoC.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't see how Galaxy S3 sales are indicative of the future of WP or even Android.

Its only one phone from one OEM and we're practically GUARANTEED to get a Samsung Focus S2 that is a complete knockoff of the Android version, this time even with identical Krait SoC.

No it doesn't but Samsung is now the no.1 manufacturer of mobile phones and Android as a platform with an estimated userbase of 350 million and predicted to grow to 1 billion by end of 2013, will there be room for a third player? I hope so.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I think more people are excited about the S3 hardware than Android. Android is what it is. You either like it or not. The buzz is and always will be about the device itself. The S3 is quite a beast.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Whether it's consumers or carriers ordering, 9 million is pretty impressive. No matter what people on this board think Samsung is certainly doing things right to be able to put out those numbers. I'm hoping WP can one day approach those numbers. It will be interesting to see who becomes the top WP manufacturer. If not Nokia it could be Samsung.

Xerxes10

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
No doubt Samsung puts out devices with high end specs (processor, memory, screen resolution, etc.) and moves lots of phones, but for me I can't get past their cheap feeling "plasticy" materials and design. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't listen to the consumer feedback on this and put something out that has the design and build quality of the Lumia, iPhone, or OneX. It seems like they could own the market on android ans WP if they did, but no, each new phone feels and looks cheap even though it may be a hot rid underneath the hood. No offense to Samsung fans, just an opinion!

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
These are 9 million pre-orders from carriers; the iPhone had 4 million consumer pre-orders. The S3 may be a hotly anticipated phone but from a consumer demand standpoint, the iPhone is still king.

The iPhone's 4 million were also in one weekend, the Galaxy S pre-orders were in like a week or so. Plus the information you listed.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No doubt Samsung puts out devices with high end specs (processor, memory, screen resolution, etc.) and moves lots of phones, but for me I can't get past their cheap feeling "plasticy" materials and design. For the life of me I can't understand why they don't listen to the consumer feedback on this and put something out that has the design and build quality of the Lumia, iPhone, or OneX. It seems like they could own the market on android ans WP if they did, but no, each new phone feels and looks cheap even though it may be a hot rid underneath the hood. No offense to Samsung fans, just an opinion!

I can't remember the time I didn't immediately put an Otterbox on any phone I bought, no matter what it was made out of.

I think most smartphone owners do that. The iPhone is revered for its design but 75%+ of iPhone owners immediately case their phone.

Some of us like to preserve resale value. Scratches and nicks eat into that :p

The only thing I don't use is a screen protector, cause they make the screen feel bad to the touch for me. However I've never scratched a screen. I remember dropping my Vibrant on concrete face first and the screen didn't even scratch. Gorilla Glass FTW...

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't remember the time I didn't immediately put an Otterbox on any phone I bought, no matter what it was made out of.

I think most smartphone owners do that. The iPhone is revered for its design but 75%+ of iPhone owners immediately case their phone.

Some of us like to preserve resale value. Scratches and nicks eat into that :p

The only thing I don't use is a screen protector, cause they make the screen feel bad to the touch for me. However I've never scratched a screen. I remember dropping my Vibrant on concrete face first and the screen didn't even scratch. Gorilla Glass FTW...

What type of screen protectors have you tried?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
IncrediShield and a could other (cheaper) types. I remember when I got my Vibrant back when I got some and took it off < 2 minutes after I put it on. I don't like how they make the Screen Feel.

Also after you've used them for a while they get a bit worn out and the whole benefit goes away.

On my non-touch WM phones and things like that I didn't have any issues with them, though, for obvious reasons.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
IncrediShield and a could other (cheaper) types. I remember when I got my Vibrant back when I got some and took it off < 2 minutes after I put it on. I don't like how they make the Screen Feel.

Also after you've used them for a while they get a bit worn out and the whole benefit goes away.

On my non-touch WM phones and things like that I didn't have any issues with them, though, for obvious reasons.

I never liked the Zagg-type screen protectors, they felt too rubbery. I liked the plastic ones better, they felt closer to glass compared to the Zaggs. Back when I had an iPhone, I would buy a bunch cheap plastic ones from eBay. The screen protectors scratched pretty easily though so I'd replace them every month or so.

Only reason I used screen protectors was because I felt the iPhone screen scratched easily. Not deep scratches, but those very tiny scratches that looked similar to those you'd seen on the metal back of an iPod touch but you could only see them on the screen if you hold it up to the light at a certain angle.

Anyway, since then, I've no longer used a screen protector. I feel like the glass on Titan and Titan II are to be more resistant to scratches compared to the iPhone 4.

Donta79

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
The Samsung Galaxy S3 pre-orders reach 9 million beating the iPhone4s 4 million pre-orders and expected to become the fastest selling consumer device in history. It will be interesting to see how many pre-orders the iPhone5 will get later in the year. Among all of this Windows Phone is like a choir boy caught in the middle of a pub brawl with a meagre 2% of the market.

Our hardware has hardly changed since launch and nothing exciting on the software front since Mango which in reality should have been the launch OS anyway. Nokia is doing the best they can but there is only so much prancing around one can do to promote the product when you're hindered by the OS. Microsoft's silence on Windows Phone 8 when the S3 is about to launch and the hype surrounding the iPhone 5 doesn't help to get us excited about the future of Windows Phone. I'm holding off upgrading my Samsung Omnia WP7 phone to see what is on offer for WP8 phone. I hope we are not disappointed but this is last chance saloon for Microsoft, if WP fails there is no way MS can ever get back into the mobile space. Android getting better with every release I will not be averse to switching platforms.

I must admit i a very tempted to pre order this, i currently have unlimited 3G data on my vzw wp7.5 device and would love Unlimited 4G LTE thru vzw! VZW has said if you pre-order the Galaxy S3 you will continued to be grandfathered in LTE unlimited data...........
The Specs are awesome DUAL CORE Snapdragon S4 CPU, Adreno 225 GPU, 2GB of RAM!

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
What I've been saying all along. WindowsPhone need a flagship, high profile, full featured phone just
like an S3. ALL Windows phones have been limited in features which actually hinders its sales performance.

Think for a sec if you're a sales guy rep in a store. How would you justify recommending a single core
phone with UNupgradeable 16GB storage, no microSD, as opposed to a Samsung S3 with quad core everything
on board.

Don't get me wrong, I love WP, I'm just saying it in sales guy point of view. It's pretty hard to sell
WP.

Nokia's strategy doesn't help much actually with going with under-performance cheaper phone such as Nokia 610
It actually hurts windows phone image as powerful phone. What nokia needs is an expensive 64 GB phone
with everything on it.

I just don't understand, if people have money (some of us do), and want a 64 GB WP phone, why is it not available?
Ok, how about 32 GB then? Nope.
Can anyone tell me what is the reasoning behind this? (Skydrive is not a replacement for an SD card)

Last edited:

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
What I've been saying all along. WindowsPhone need a flagship, high profile, full featured phone just
like an S3. ALL Windows phones have been limited in features which actually hinders its sales performance.

Think for a sec if you're a sales guy rep in a store. How would you justify recommending a single core
phone with upgradeable 16GB storage, no microSD, as opposed to a Samsung S3 with quad core everything
on board.

Don't get me wrong, I love WP, I'm just saying it in sales guy point of view. It's pretty hard to sell
WP.

Nokia's strategy doesn't help much actually with going with under-performance cheaper phone such as Nokia 610
It actually hurts windows phone image as powerful phone. What nokia needs is an expensive 64 GB phone
with everything on it.

I just don't understand, if people have money (some of us do), and want a 64 GB WP phone, why is it not available?
Ok, how about 32 GB then? Nope.
Can anyone tell me what is the reasoning behind this? (Skydrive is not a replacement for an SD card)

WP7 doesn't need more then one core to run. It's all the crapp's people dump on these phones that require higher end hardware to keep up. Then people whine about battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa