Android bashing anyone?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Android has improved so much since it's pre-ICS days. The multi-core processors make such a HUGE differences in the way Android runs. I will not say smooth, I do not think it will ever be smooth, but whatever glitches remain are more often due to OEM UI's then on Android itself. Problem is, pure Google handsets are few and far between. And that leave 97% of them with some kind of quirk that makes them buggy somehow. Throw in stinking carrier bloat here among the US, and you have what should be a device that works well ending up being kinda of a crap shoot.

I would be fine with Android, I am just glad I do not have to be. For what I do with a phone, WP just kicks Google's adopted child's tush. MS designed WP to be built from performance up, adding features as they go. Android had tons and tons of features, and has been struggling to get performance right ever since. I would rather have a phone do a little less, but do it all right as opposed to having a phone do everything... sorta.

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I support both Windows and Android. Was using 920 just bought Moto x because I was getting bored. In a year I'll probably go back to Windows. They both have their pros and cons. I will say this, nothing and o mean nothing beats Windows keypad! Love it

Maxx92

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I've always considered Google/ Android products to be 'Crayon on the back of used paper' quality to begin with. However, they've made themselves big like Walmart by offering stuff at the lowest prices (mainly free) on their phones & web applications. I guess that makes the crashes of many apps palatable (and you can always delete one and try out any of 3 dozen that are behind it in the queue).

BUT like Yahoo- whose calendar is unusable, sports page is unreadable, fantasy soccer is pathetically unmanageable- Google has embraced the trend of taking features out of apps and programs, making them less user friendly, making their 6th grade level appearance even less aesthetic, making their UI's more simple and pathetic, and reducing the reliability of already marginal products.

Case in point: My wife & I were driving home from some outlets across the CT/NY border. I punched my home address into the NEW UPGRADED Google Maps (where there used to be a separate navigation program that was much simpler to use) to get an idea of how long the drive would be. There were two possible ways to go home and Google chose the one that probably had the worse traffic, so I decided I'd go the other direction and Google Maps would figure it out and show me the updated time home.

Oh no! Mr. Google Maps insisted that I drive up the road 13 miles, turn around and come back to the route suggested. Hmmm..... Maybe it will correct itself when I'm heading east.

I don't think so! says Mr. GMaps. You must drive to the next exit, turn around, head south the 13 miles you just came and go home the way I told you to!! You will now take over 90 minutes to get home infidel!!!!

But Mr GMaps. If I drive up a few more miles We'll pass through the tolls and be closer to the CT border!

NO! You must obey the wisdom of the the almighty NEW UPGRADED Google Maps.

As we drove on, the almighty processing power of Google made minor concessions, but always diverted me south to the route it insisted was correct.

Surely it corrected itself as you got closer to home?

Ummmm..... No.....

Each exit we passed gave GMaps another opportunity to creatively outline how we needed to turn around and go back to the route it chose for us with the time to home bumping up with each iteration. Resetting the GPS had no effect as it popped right back into the same route. At the end of our exit ramp, 12 miles from home it insisted we make an illegal u-turn and get right back on the highway.

As we drove home on the last remaining road, each road we passed enabled Google to choose roads I never even new existed to make our way back to the highway. As we passed the last possible turn off before crossing over the dam for the last 6 miles home Google decided it had enough and simply mapped out a route that drove past my house, got on the highway it wanted me to take, went 65 miles to the spot we started at, turned around and took me home the way it wanted.

Glorious......

Deciding which phone I am going to keep when I cancel one of my two lines in the very near future is no longer difficult at all. Goodbye Android. Enjoy ebay. I'll be keeping the Nokia. *****.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've always considered Google/ Android products to be 'Crayon on the back of used paper' quality to begin with. However, they've made themselves big like Walmart by offering stuff at the lowest prices (mainly free) on their phones & web applications. I guess that makes the crashes of many apps palatable (and you can always delete one and try out any of 3 dozen that are behind it in the queue).

BUT like Yahoo- whose calendar is unusable, sports page is unreadable, fantasy soccer is pathetically unmanageable- Google has embraced the trend of taking features out of apps and programs, making them less user friendly, making their 6th grade level appearance even less aesthetic, making their UI's more simple and pathetic, and reducing the reliability of already marginal products.

Case in point: My wife & I were driving home from some outlets across the CT/NY border. I punched my home address into the NEW UPGRADED Google Maps (where there used to be a separate navigation program that was much simpler to use) to get an idea of how long the drive would be. There were two possible ways to go home and Google chose the one that probably had the worse traffic, so I decided I'd go the other direction and Google Maps would figure it out and show me the updated time home.

Oh no! Mr. Google Maps insisted that I drive up the road 13 miles, turn around and come back to the route suggested. Hmmm..... Maybe it will correct itself when I'm heading east.

I don't think so! says Mr. GMaps. You must drive to the next exit, turn around, head south the 13 miles you just came and go home the way I told you to!! You will now take over 90 minutes to get home infidel!!!!

But Mr GMaps. If I drive up a few more miles We'll pass through the tolls and be closer to the CT border!

NO! You must obey the wisdom of the the almighty NEW UPGRADED Google Maps.

As we drove on, the almighty processing power of Google made minor concessions, but always diverted me south to the route it insisted was correct.

Surely it corrected itself as you got closer to home?

Ummmm..... No.....

Each exit we passed gave GMaps another opportunity to creatively outline how we needed to turn around and go back to the route it chose for us with the time to home bumping up with each iteration. Resetting the GPS had no effect as it popped right back into the same route. At the end of our exit ramp, 12 miles from home it insisted we make an illegal u-turn and get right back on the highway.

As we drove home on the last remaining road, each road we passed enabled Google to choose roads I never even new existed to make our way back to the highway. As we passed the last possible turn off before crossing over the dam for the last 6 miles home Google decided it had enough and simply mapped out a route that drove past my house, got on the highway it wanted me to take, went 65 miles to the spot we started at, turned around and took me home the way it wanted.

Glorious......

Deciding which phone I am going to keep when I cancel one of my two lines in the very near future is no longer difficult at all. Goodbye Android. Enjoy ebay. I'll be keeping the Nokia. *****.

Very funny. Well written.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Mobile Nations mobile app

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried going back to android for a few days and it was a drag.... I spent a few hours trying to not messed up my root and try to get the best performance out of my HTC One. I gotta say they have the best OEMs to take care of their great build quality but I've been trying to be careful of the ram I've used and the battery usage all blablabla.

Just switched my sim card to the 820 today. Love this WP8. Even though I love to tweak stuffs and all. Windows Phone has one of the best indie developers like Rudy Huyn. Best optimistic community. If you have ever gotten used to an WP8, every bit of going back to Android annoys you.

I'm talking out of context here oh no Goodnight.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hmm low end android are waste if u do not know rooting.if u know rooting nd use ram expander.even low end android can be usable but not smooth as wp8. On the hindsight you will miss newest nd greatest title in games nd apps.android is poor man's ios.that's why it is rampant across the world.android is for geeks wp8 for layman.smooth out of the box.those who bash android are not geeks as far I know.this is my experience with using low end android phone like lava iris 458q.many will not agree.it's just my opinion

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hmm low end android are waste if u do not know rooting.if u know rooting nd use ram expander.even low end android can be usable but not smooth as wp8. On the hindsight you will miss newest nd greatest title in games nd apps.android is poor man's ios.that's why it is rampant across the world.android is for geeks wp8 for layman.smooth out of the box.those who bash android are not geeks as far I know.this is my experience with using low end android phone like lava iris 458q.many will not agree.it's just my opinion

I'm a big big big geek, and i love love love wp8 and i indulge in lots of android bashing with my android-using friends ! Maybe i dont fit your trend :p. What i think, wp is for people who want something different, and classy. Android isn't classy at all !

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Android poor mans ios??? Nnnnnno.

Ios is...dated, seriously ios uses static icons as a home screen. The only thing that makes ios stand out is safari browser. android is much better...Perhaps just less consistent in some regards.

Though Android has definitely degraded over the years. Currently gingerbread is the best version of Android, anything newer and you will get very familiar with this message;

"#### is not responding, force close? " or "**** has stopped working, report it? "

Compared to gingerbread (dates back to 2010, perhaps even 2009) these new versions of Android get better benchmarks but also eat up many more resources. You can easily run gingerbread on 256MB RAM as long as you don't leave to many large apps running. Try that with kitkat...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon