Google Now

kmoth

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd really like to know how many Microsoft employees work on WP compared to Windows. It feels like they still haven't gone all in on Windows Phone.

sirgrant618

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I won't lie, feeling pretty bummed out about google now and how much better it is than anything currently offered on WP.

I will say that the thing that attracted me to WP is the UI, but the feature set of Android is very compelling. I just wish it weren't so ugly.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles for android... only better.

How useful this is will depend entirely on where you live, but if that happens to be the U.S., yes, definitely awesome.

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd really like to know how many Microsoft employees work on WP compared to Windows. It feels like they still haven't gone all in on Windows Phone.

I feel the SAME way... Skype, a major talking point is still in shambles and preview mode months after the OS released... continued bugs with random restarts and battery drain, even after Portico, no communication from MS about these basic issues, COMMON and BASIC features missing and no mention of them coming... etc...

THEY HAVE $64 BILLION in CASH RESERVES.... do something with it... make your OS live up to your promises first, then the potential second...

The mobile market has proven how profitable it can be... Spend money to make money...

sirgrant618

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Would anyone be interested in starting a thread to brainstorm how a Google now alternative would work? I started writing down ideas in a notebook (including how WP could actually obtain this information about you without being creepy) but I dont want my ideas to go to waste.

I'll make the thread if any of you are interested with my ideas so far. I'm really geeked-up about this!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

A decade ago, Microsoft's mission statement was to put a PC in every home. Today, MS appears determined to bet everything on keeping it that way, and that will fail.

I think Microsoft is aiming for a top-down approach... it is as if they want to sell tablets and smartphones as accessories to laptops and desktops, but consumers aren't perceiving things that way. Laptops and desktops are fine, they aren't going away (post-PC nonsense), but it is increasingly smartphones that frame the window to peoples digital presence, not full blown computers. If Microsoft wants to remain relevant in the consumer space, they need to finally realize they are fighting on the wrong battlefield.

They seriously need to let Windows be Windows and put most of those engineers behind WP for a few development cycles... the staff involved with WP and WP/W8/XBox integration needs to quadruple.

@Microsoft:
Go big or go home... a home without Windows.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Google Now is like my personal concierge... in a way.

At first I was thinking its just a siri competitor but as it turns out, it is so much more than a voice assistant. Heck I rarely use the voice search function. Never did when it was just plain old google search.

These cards that show up really surprise you sometimes. When I first started to use GNow, while at the grocery store I looked at my notifications and I saw that i had something telling me how long it would take to go home. Crazy. From there you can choose to navigate.

It even knew what grocery store I was at(publix) and left me a card asking if I wanted to do some product research.

At first it doesn't really show much in terms of location based info but it learns and in time you will get notifications\cards. I work from home but I have my daughters school set as a work destination. Over time it learned that I travel to and from my daughters school twice a day and gnow will show me traffic cards when its time for me to leave home\school

Google now was the reason I went back to android. Hopefully microsoft upps the usefulness of their search app. I think its already fine for a basic search tool but something to really compete with gnow.

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Glance-able information just got leap-frogged by contextual info. Next thing you'll see is Now sensing that you are at a Smoked by WP event, hearing the challenge, and automating the solution.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Would anyone be interested in starting a thread to brainstorm how a Google now alternative would work? I started writing down ideas in a notebook (including how WP could actually obtain this information about you without being creepy) but I dont want my ideas to go to waste.

I'll make the thread if any of you are interested with my ideas so far. I'm really geeked-up about this!

Google Now works because of how insanely tied together Google's services are. As I posted in another thread, I googled a band I was interested in on my desktop while signed into Google; a couple weeks later a card popped up in Google Now telling me they were playing in my city, and offering me options to buy tickets. The Google ecosystem is what makes it possible. I'm not sure if Microsoft's fragmented services could be brought together in such a seamless way. Would be pretty cool though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The Google ecosystem is what makes it possible. I'm not sure if Microsoft's fragmented services could be brought together in such a seamless way. Would be pretty cool though.

"Fragmented" isn't even close to the correct technical term for what you are trying to describe. "Isolated" is likely closer.

Anyway, there is nothing preventing MS from replicating your band-search and ticket-offer experience on WP. That involves nothing but the search engine. What MS couldn't / wouldn't do is surface that ticket offer based on an e-mail you wrote. If that is what you are after, then yes, Google has an advantage in that area.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I would be interested in talking about it! I think Microsoft would want to follow in Google's footsteps and develop a Google Now-like product that would integrate all of the activities that can be done on WP8 and feed it into Bing. They have a great opportunity. They also have alot of services that Google may not necessarily have...yet...

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 but don't use Google now, but find it to be just a gimmick.

It is pretty useful. In fact, with the new Motorola X phone that's rumored to come out, I might give up on my dream to stay with Nokia.

Take a look at the various Google Now cards. They just recently updated it and included even more cards than before. Pretty powerful stuff!

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
"Fragmented" isn't even close to the correct technical term for what you are trying to describe. "Isolated" is likely closer.

Anyway, there is nothing preventing MS from replicating your band-search and ticket-offer experience on WP. That involves nothing but the search engine. What MS couldn't / wouldn't do is surface that ticket offer based on an e-mail you wrote. If that is what you are after, then yes, Google has an advantage in that area.

English fail.
1. A small part broken off or detached.
2. An incomplete or isolated portion; a bit: overheard fragments of their conversation; extant fragments of an old manuscript.
3. Grammar A sentence fragment.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Not a gimmick at all. It's a very cool feature.

it's definitely a gimmick. I used google now for one thing only, telling me how long it would take to get home. It was pretty useful for that. For everything else it was utterly useless. Sure it knew which teams I supported and gave me scores, but I was always watching on tv or listening to coverage on the radio so it was useless.

Almost none of the cards work in the UK where I am either.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
it's definitely a gimmick. I used google now for one thing only, telling me how long it would take to get home. It was pretty useful for that. For everything else it was utterly useless. Sure it knew which teams I supported and gave me scores, but I was always watching on tv or listening to coverage on the radio so it was useless.

Almost none of the cards work in the UK where I am either.

So it's useless because it's not supported in your region?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss