Google Now

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
You are not seriously suggesting that any of those things are insurmountable obstacles, are you?
When you want my phone or tablet to do all of that processing and storage, yeah, I think that's a pretty tall mountain to climb.

As for the whole legal thing, you made a statement that Google is claiming the legal right to share info with 3rd parties, then you said you're not a lawyer. We'll just leave that there.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
, a common interface is required. I agree. At least I can't imagine what an alternative would look like. However, a unified interface doesn't necessitate a unified data repository. That should be obvious and it is also the basis for most of my argument.
So, this Bing Now app that would run on my phone, instead of having data pushed to it, would have to go out and poll these disparate data sources to collect the information that it needs to be useful? Polling increases CPU cycles, reduces battery life, increases storage and data usage. I like your idea less and less as we go.

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Profiling also involves scanning, indexing and storing, and in the context of this discussion, that is what I thought you were referring to.
If it weren't damn neat 3 in the morning, I would have made these points all at once.

Microsoft does absolutely profile you for advertising purposes. I guess it's Ok that they go so far as to pull in your Experian profile to better match you and ads up because they lay off of your email.

FFS, this whole "only Google profiles people to sell ads against" is old, tired and wrong.

Your MS profile doesn't just include your online life, they pull in your offline life as well.

http://advertising.microsoft.com/profile-targeting

Yes, Google builds profiles of their users and they sell ads against it. So does Microsoft. Go ahead, this is the part where you tell me that Microsoft's way is better because they don't scan your email for ads. Your MS ad profile is pretty complete without it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by arrowrand
MS is already scanning your email and storing that information on their servers.

Maybe they are. I certainly don't know what every last Microsoft employee is up to at all times. But as of now, and to the best of my knowledge, they do not.

I don't know what Microsoft employees are up to at all times either, but I'm sure they're not scanning emails. However, neither are Google's employees. Do you really think the emails are scanned manually? While I found humor in the Scroogled campaign ads, I did think they were a bit deceptive in giving the impression that Google emails are read by humans. I'm guessing that few, if any, messages are ever read unless they're turned over to the government.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you really think the emails are scanned manually?

This discussion revolves partly around the question of whether that scanning process is automatable on consumers' devices, or if it is only automatable on Google's servers. That sufficiently demonstrates that nobody here believes anything that silly. Does it not?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So, this Bing Now app that would run on my phone, instead of having data pushed to it, would have to go out and poll these disparate data sources to collect the information that it needs to be useful? Polling increases CPU cycles, reduces battery life, increases storage and data usage. I like your idea less and less as we go.

It seems we have decided to assign Google Now to the far left corner, representing the server-only approach, and a hypothetical Bing Now to the far right corner, representing a client-only approach. As if both must necessarily occupy positions on polar opposites of the server- / client-side spectrum. I doubt this is an accurate representation of how Google Now actually works. Google Now doesn't necessarily have to be (and likely isn't) a purely server-side solution. My point is, that we mustn't necessarily picture a hypothetical Bing Now as a purely client-side solution either. I suspect that is what you are doing, and that is why you believe Bing Now would have a problem polling data from disparate data sources. You are unnecessarily restricting your own creative thinking process.

All the data required to recreate the "intelligent" part of Google Now is already synced to all our devices. Mails, calendar data, GPS location, search history, etc... no polling is required beyond what is already common practice. For any other data, a hypothetical Bing Now could easily register with a Microsoft server to receive push notifications whenever necessary, e.g. when flight information for a particular flight is updated.

Anyway, my goal wasn't to make you like a particular solution. It was only to show that other solutions exist.

The original assumption was that Microsoft has no chance of recreating the Google Now experience, because they don't aggregate the same amount of user data on their servers. This is the only unimaginative silliness I'm attempting to debunk. A vast number of solutions exist between the two extremes we've been discussing (we have, after all, long entered the age of distributed computing), and I'm sure not just one or two of those solutions are plausible.

As for the whole legal thing, you made a statement that Google is claiming the legal right to share info with 3rd parties, then you said you're not a lawyer. We'll just leave that there.

Based on that cheap shot answer, I can only assume you aren't a lawyer either, as I'm sure someone who actually knew what they were talking about could easily convince me I'm wrong. I've read Google's legal mumbo jumbo. I was just trying to explain what my simple self came away understanding. I had hoped that you, being amongst the strongest resident Google supporters around, might have been motivated enough to do more research, but obviously I was mistaken.

Go ahead, this is the part where you tell me that Microsoft's way is better because they don't scan your email for ads.

Look arrowrand, I know this is your favourite topic, but I really couldn't care less about it. I think this just wastes our time. Why? Because it is none of your business where I draw the line when it comes to my personal privacy. That is everyone's own personal choice to make. Not yours. For me, profiling my mails goes beyond what I am willing to accept.

I know you care nothing about your own privacy. I know you also care nothing about the privacy of your friends and family members who send mails to your gmail accounts. I do care. Deal with it.

I hope you will now finally stop trying to steer the discussion towards this topic.

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to get bumpers for my Nexus 4, and every time i check for them I get this message:

Nexus 4 Bumper (Black)
$19.99
Temporarily Out of Stock
We are out of inventory. Please check back soon.

Why can't it just tell me when they're in stock so I don't waste time checking all the time? Maybe they're too busy calculating drive times. :grin:

arrowrand

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I know you care nothing about your own privacy. I know you also care nothing about the privacy of your friends and family members who send mails to your gmail accounts. I do care. Deal with it.
That's laughable. That's a guy that having his emails machine scanned and indexed by one company wagging his finger at a guy having his emails machine indexed and scanned by another company.

I hope you will now finally stop trying to steer the discussion towards this topic.
Said the guy pulling the wheel in the other direction.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That's laughable. That's a guy that having his emails machine scanned and indexed by one company wagging his finger at a guy having his emails machine indexed and scanned by another company.

As previously stated, what now feels like a dozen times, I don't care if my mails are "indexed and scanned". I do care if that is being done with the intent of profiling the account owner. If you ever want to get back to the actual topic, I'll do that too.

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I won't lie, feeling pretty bummed out about google now and how much better it is than anything currently offered on WP.

I will say that the thing that attracted me to WP is the UI, but the feature set of Android is very compelling. I just wish it weren't so ugly.
Look at stock Android on the Nexus 4, it's beautiful.

return_0

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'll be brutally honest...this reminds me of all the annoying emails I get from places like Amazon.com trying to send me information they think is relevant too me because I searched for something once on their site. This is just more extraneous information being jammed in your face. Worse still, it shows how much Google is willing and capable of conglomerating all of your search history and targeting you (i.e they are making even more money off you and know more about you than you may really want them to know). I get the geek factor in all of this. I do. But I prefer getting information when I want it and how, not how some algorithm thinks I want it, and when.

I can tell you've never used Google Now. Because you wouldn't be saying this if you have.

anon(5650876)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I won't lie, feeling pretty bummed out about google now and how much better it is than anything currently offered on WP.

I will say that the thing that attracted me to WP is the UI, but the feature set of Android is very compelling. I just wish it weren't so ugly.

EXACTLY what I think. I just wish Android was not so much UGLY, In android, the action buttons are just anywhere, sometimes on top right corner, sometimes in bottom corner, and the new CARD UI, it is so difficult to precisely press the 3 dots.

In WP, all buttons are at bottom and all apps follow design language.

I wish Google brings Maps (I want better than Gmaps Pro).

And Google Now is an UPDATE to Google search app, so if WP gets more users, Google might UPDATE the WP search app to Google Now, just like IOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro