Cheap Smartphone, Whether to Buy?

lyeileen

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, all! Just a few minutes ago, i saw a smartphone named N7189 with Android OS 4.2 and 5.3-inch capacitive touch screen, and it only costs USD $229.99. After review its description, I began to have a little bit of heart, but I can?t decide whether to get it from the site named coolicool, my friends and I have never buy anything from it. I don?t know whether deal with this site is safe. I really like this phone for its features and low price, I am going crazy. I pick some of the phone?s description from the site, it is value to buy?
The smartphone has a 5.3-inch capacitive touch screen with bright colors and fluidity unparalleled. It is perfect for me who loves to play with the phone, applications and photos at my fingertips.
The operating system of smartphone is Android OS 4.2(new update to Google home), support networks, WIFI and GPS ..
The smartphone can run fast for its MTK6589 processor and 1 GB ram, and this smartphone is good for 3D and 2D. Applications thanks not only to fast processor and versatile but also with support for microSD cards up to 32GB, an infinite amount of space available.
If it is ture, I will make my friends envious with this smartphone, fast, without skips or slowdowns that an application or a photo.
The device has a perfect GPS navigation system, easy to configure and use. Then I will not get lost in the streets of my cities or during my trip to a tourist destination.
The lastest thing is Dual card dual standby, it refers to that a cell phone can hold two SIM cards and the two cards are in standby mode at the same time.
That?s all, doesn?t it look nice? Please give me some advice.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
i'd say be careful...cheap high-end spec smartphones tend to have cheap hardware components, also i'm not sure about MTK SoCs...what is the ppi for this 5.3" screen?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
what is the ppi for this 5.3" screen?

DPI ~208. That is slightly lower than the DPI value of both the Lumia 720 and the Lumia 520, despite both having only WVGA resolution.

What I like most about the phone is the dual SIM capability. What I like least is that it comes with the mess that is Android. :wink:

Otherwise I have no idea what to think about the device. Never heard of it before. I would advise against buying any smartphone you can't find at least a few good reviews for on the web, but it's your choice.

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
DPI ~208. That is slightly lower than the DPI value of both the Lumia 720 and the Lumia 520, despite both having only WVGA resolution.

What I like most about the phone is the dual SIM capability. What I like least is that it comes with the mess that is Android. :wink:

Otherwise I have no idea what to think about the device. Never heard of it before. I would advise against buying any smartphone you can't find at least a few good reviews for on the web, but it's your choice.

Tried the Nexus 4 and 4.2.2 lately?
Android is no longer a mess of lag and bad apps, it has seriously taken off.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Tried the Nexus 4 and 4.2.2 lately?
Android is no longer a mess of lag and bad apps, it has seriously taken off.

I do not own a Nexus 4, but we have more than enough of them lying around at work. I don't have enough experience to judge that particular device from a consumer's perspective (I can't carry around an Android device without feeling dirty), but I'm judging the OS from a developer's perspective, and in that regard Android truly is the messiest OS I've ever had to develop for.

Major developers have now had the time to work out many of the kinks that are simply a fact of life in the fragmented Android ecosystem, which is why Android app quality has generally improved. Agreed. On the other hand, a huge percentage of the apps in the Play store now border on being spyware / malware, not to mention those that actually are. That threat, combined with the fact that Android isn't any more secure than the average desktop OS, doesn't improve my overall confidence either.

I also agree that Android's lag issue has been "solved", thanks mostly to ridiculously powerful hardware. Not that I'm against powerful hardware, but consider this: My 20 year old Amiga 500, which had a 8 MHz CPU and a measly GPU, had no problem achieving buttery smooth scrolling... yet doing the same thing on an Android device isn't possible without hardware that is at least 100 times more powerful! That can only mean that the software is 100 times less efficient. For consumers the end result is the same, but the way it was achieved on Android is laughably inelegant and highlights just how messy the OS is.

Last edited:

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I do not own a Nexus 4, but we have more than enough of them lying around at work. I don't have enough experience to judge that particular device from a consumer's perspective (I can't carry around an Android device without feeling dirty), but I'm judging the OS from a developer's perspective, and in that regard Android truly is the messiest OS I've ever had to develop for.

Major developers have now had the time to work out many of the kinks that are simply a fact of life in the fragmented Android ecosystem, which is why Android app quality has generally improved. Agreed. On the other hand, a huge percentage of the apps in the Play store now border on being spyware / malware, not to mention those that actually are. That threat, combined with the fact that Android isn't any more secure than the average desktop OS, doesn't improve my overall confidence either.

I also agree that Android's lag issue has been "solved", thanks mostly to ridiculously powerful hardware. Not that I'm against powerful hardware, but the fact that Android requires hardware over a hundred times more powerful to do something that my 20 year old Amiga 500 with an 8 MHz CPU achieved easily (buttery smooth subpixel scrolling) can only mean that the software is 100 times less efficient. For consumers the end result is the same, but the way it was achieved on Android is laughably inelegant and highlights just how messy the OS is.

I disagree, Android 4.1 integrated project butter which had triple buffering etc. also Manufacturers are purposely putting these powerful specs in phones to tout it to the consumer.
On my N4 355MB of Ram is used with 3 apps running and only one core running. I am even underclocked and undervolted and there is no speed decrease so no it's not the "ridiculously powerful hardware"
And hardly. no apps are spyware apps. you also can turn off sideloading from the browser, How great is that?
Jelly bean has been SERIOUSLY optimised you have no idea how smooth it is on a dual core device with 2 gigs of RAM, Android is NOT messy.
Oh and it is getting more and more easier to develop for Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ In that case we will disagree. I prefer to trust my own experiences developing for Android devices over what others think constitutes a messy OS.

Project butter is nothing but a hack to improve the most unsuitable UI stack ever conceived for a smartphone. It is "band-aided" on top of what previously existed and doesn't change the fundamental underpinnings, making it overall even less efficient, but the powerful GPU's in our smartphones hide that fact. It really shouldn't have ever been required in the first place. Whether it implements triple buffering is completely irrelevant in that regard. Triple buffering is yet another feature on top of what is already a fat OS, which an optimized system could omit without anyone noticing any difference.

We've spent quite a bit of time profiling Android devices. Our conclusions were different from yours.

In regard to malware on Android, basically every security researcher in the world would disagree with you. You may want to look into that.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
^ In that case we will disagree. I prefer to trust my own experiences developing for Android devices over what others think constitutes a messy OS.

Project butter is nothing but a hack to improve the most unsuitable UI stack ever conceived for a smartphone. It is "band-aided" on top of what previously existed and doesn't change the fundamental underpinnings, making it overall even less efficient, but the powerful GPU's in our smartphones hide that fact. It really shouldn't have ever been required in the first place. Whether it implements triple buffering is completely irrelevant in that regard. Triple buffering is yet another feature on top of what is already a fat OS, which an optimized system could omit without anyone noticing any difference.

We've spent quite a bit of time profiling Android devices. Our conclusions were different from yours.

In regard to malware on Android, basically every security researcher in the world would disagree with you. You may want to look into that.
Looks like my suspicions were right. Nokia made this mistake by tacking Qt onto Symbian.

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

Whateves, it's not a bandaid for me. I certainly can compare a Gnex running 4.04 then 4.1 and you can see the speed increase. and fat OS? It uses up 1.5 GB TOTAL.
To be honest I don't care from a developers point of view. for ME Google has fixed the lag and I dont ******* care how they did it. I am extremly happy with Android and that's all that matters to me. Secondly you can only (potentially) get a malware if you turn unknown sources on, by default it's off. so I am as an Android am extremely happy:)

anon5664829

Banned
Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Lookup the term "ignorance is bliss" in the dictionary and find a green robot. :wink: No offence intended of course...

Dude, I also have an iphone 5 it has a dual core proccesor with 1 GB of RAM, I know Specs are nearly no where everything. I am simply saying I don't care how Google did it but now Android is just as fast as smooth as other OS's and I am a happy camper:)
Opinions man:) Next year I hope to get a lumina.

return_0

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I also agree that Android's lag issue has been "solved", thanks mostly to ridiculously powerful hardware.

You obviously have NO idea whatsoever what you're talking about. The lag issue was solved with powerful software. If you'll take the time to pay attention, you'll notice that the same device that lags on Android 4.0 runs buttery smooth on 4.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6