NewsSpot - a Google Reader client

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I would like to take the opportunity to introduce you to NewsSpot, a fairly young but nevertheless promising Google Reader client. It features a full two-way sync with offline saving for articles and images and a nice instant search capability.

Version 1.2 was just released to Marketplace and adds ReadItLater and Instapaper support. A Mango version is currently in development and will be published soon.

For more info, check out the description on the Marketplace.

tag.png

Some images:

s27a.png
s27b.png
s27c.png
s27d.png
s27e.png
s27f.png
s27g.png

Give it a shot and tell me what you think about it!

Last edited:

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 2.0 is online now. It ads Mango compatibility as well as a bunch of new features:

- gzipped web communication, making sync faster and reduce the data transferred
- you can share your articles via the phone builtin services like Twitter, Windows Live etc.
- live tile support with background updates
- increased the limits for the number of articles in the trial, and added advertising. So its now more like a add-supported version.

Find a introductory video here.

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
V2.1 was approved tonight and will be online within this day.

I had to remove sharing since it is not supported by Google Reader anymore. Additionally there were some changes in the internal data storage to improve further development, so please hit sync to get your articles back.

The next update will offer more obvious changes :)

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
V2.2 of NewsSpot was approved by Microsoft today and will be online in the next couple of hours.

Besides a new application icon you can now navigate from folders to your feeds as well as sync read articles.

Hope you like it!

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy to announce that version 2.3 was approved by Microsoft and should be available within a few hours.

This verison adds an option to auto sync periodically while the application is running.

Additionally a bunch of new appearance options are available, namely changing the application theme, hiding the system tray, sorting unread articles by oldest to newest and locking the screen orientation.

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 2.4 is now available in the Marketplace. This one adds a bunch of features, such as:
  • Readability mobilizer integration.
  • Instant sync: status changes are uploaded immediately.
  • User interface overhaul
  • Quick actions to mark an article read/unread or starred/unstarred in the articles list.
  • Swipe in article summary view to go to the next/previous article.

I've updated the images in the first post, take a look at them :)

Regards

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
V2.5 was approved by Microsoft and should be available soon. This time only a couple of bug fixes and performance improvements.

Users of the trial might also find that somme of the ads were removed.

Hope you like it!

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Verison 2.6 should be available now.

This time just a tiny update to fix possible problems during startup and a bug that was introduced in v2.5.

Regards

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Version 2.7 is finally available on the Marketplace.

Unfortunately, due to some hassle with Microsoft, I had to re-release NewsSpot under a new account. Details are written here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...9-cc65152d024e

Please download the new version here: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...d-7dd34778141c

It will be FREE for a couple of days, so if you have bought the old version, just download the new one! Please consider giving me a positive review or rating, so I get my Marketplace position back as soon as possible.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
One I get my 920 I will be looking at this with interest as well as NextGen reader as I am a heavy reader user...
Will let you know what I think, but thanks for bringing this to my attention

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
One I get my 920 I will be looking at this with interest as well as NextGen reader as I am a heavy reader user...
Will let you know what I think, but thanks for bringing this to my attention

Thanks for your reply! If you own a WP7 at the moment, be sure to download it now to get it while its free :)

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I forgot: What's new?

• new artwork by zed martinez
  • vastly improved live tiles with heading and proper background image
  • more sharing services (Readability, Delicous, by SMS)
  • send article to Evernote

Happy reading!

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
oohh, i read about the update, but didn't realise it was a different account.

I'll download the new version, as i've been using Newspot for ages. Great app.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Mine quit working. I mean the app launches ok, But clicking links to articles, nothing but a blank screen. I cleared the cache but no change. It worked the first day I installed it but that's about it. Any ideas?

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
@ Techblogger:

Could it be that you turned on the setting to automatically load the Readability view upon opening an article (in settings -> general)? This option does actually not work at the moment and will be fixed with the next release.

Regards,

Bernhard

FourSpotProject

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Quick update: NewsSpot v2.8 should now be available.

New Features include:
- Bookmark to Diigo
- Fixed bug: some articles could not be uploaded to Evernote
- Fixed bug: loading Readability view on opening an articles did not work
- Fixed bug: YouTube links did not work in Readability view

Additionally, NewsSpot goes paid again. To make sure: If you got NewsSpot while it was free, you will not be charged later on, even if you reinstall the app.

Happy reading!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers