[Free App] NickWrite - Write faster!

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
If you are a WP7 power user and write a lot on your smartphone then NickWrite may be the app for you.

NickWrite offers multi-level Undo/Redo, AutoSave, a smart way to select things like URLs and email adresses, different font sizes, message templates with variables, abbreviation expanding and word auto complete that even works with languages that WP7 knows nothing about because it is based on what you write with NickWrite, in whatever language that is.

It's interesting that maybe two dozen apps in the Marketplace offer some kind of message templates, but no other that we could find at the moment tries to improve the process of writing itself.

The app is free and without ads.

Link to the app in the Marketplace:
http://windowsphone.com/s?appid=60105db9-a73d-4c28-ab16-6020b223eb76

The app's home on the Internet:
NickWrite ? Das Megos .NET-Weblog

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
At first, I wasn't quite so sure about what the purpose of the app was, but your site really helped out! I tried it out, and I like it :3 Rated it~

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thank you for making this apps :) It is fast, responsive and very solid. Auto-save works really well. The "named action" featured is very neat and really reminds me of Blackberry auto-text feature.

I write long emails and would prefer to write in landscape, so for me it is useful to have landscape mode. Is there any other way to save text, besides the auto-save and the templates? Like to saved few different drafts? Of course I can always save it as template as a work around..

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Landscape; Saving drafts

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

I avoided landscape so far, being afraid that it might get complicated and messy to implement, but I will look into it.

About saving drafts: Anything sent goes to the list of sent items "to the right" of the template list. Putting something into the clipboard with the corresponding button is also counted as "sending" and puts your text into that list.

As you can just tap a sent item to start editing again, that's probably a faster workaround than storing drafts as templates. Tap-and-hold for a sent item gets a menu with a delete entry so you can get rid of your drafts later if you want.

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I have just left a feed back in Marketplace, hopefully it will be up soon.. 5 STARS'

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

I avoided landscape so far, being afraid that it might get complicated and messy to implement, but I will look into it.

Thank you so much for the quick response!! :cool: One thing that I have not mentioned earlier is about the left and right gesture for overview and editing. It is such a simple "thing" yet works really well!

Yes please, if you can make simplistic workout with landscape view, it will be awesome ;)

About saving drafts: Anything sent goes to the list of sent items "to the right" of the template list. Putting something into the clipboard with the corresponding button is also counted as "sending" and puts your text into that list.

As you can just tap a sent item to start editing again, that's probably a faster workaround than storing drafts as templates. Tap-and-hold for a sent item gets a menu with a delete entry so you can get rid of your drafts later if you want.
Wow.. thanks for the tips :) I didnt realise that copy to clipboard will place the text in "sent item".. I have tried it and it does provide what I need!

Kudos to you :happy:

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
New update!

:cool: Love the new update.. supporting landscape now! Still looking what other new features you have implemented in this update ;)

Thanks man! Greatly appreciated :)

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have been using NickWrite a lot lately! Love the simplicity :)

Do you have any handy tips for me to navigate in the texts while writing a long notes? I could not scroll up and down so it is quite hard to place the cursor in texts above or below.

Thank you in advance :)

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Working on it :)

Do you have any handy tips for me to navigate in the texts while writing a long notes? I could not scroll up and down so it is quite hard to place the cursor in texts above or below.

Do you already work with the Overview feature? From the Edit page, with a flick horizontal gesture in the edit text box you reach the Overview page with a much larger text box. You can adjust that to a small font to see more still, and you can position the cursor there and swipe back (which will carry over the cursor position.) See also the chapter The Overview Page on NickWrite ? Das Megos .NET-Weblog.

But I am also working on the next version of NickWrite which will offer cursor movement on the edit page itself. Of course there always is the WP7 standard textbox feature of Tap-and-Hold to get a cursor that you can move around, but for long texts that's somewhat fiddly, I think I can improve on that. Stay tuned.

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you already work with the Overview feature? From the Edit page, with a flick horizontal gesture in the edit text box you reach the Overview page with a much larger text box. You can adjust that to a small font to see more still, and you can position the cursor there and swipe back (which will carry over the cursor position.) See also the chapter The Overview Page on NickWrite ? Das Megos .NET-Weblog.

But I am also working on the next version of NickWrite which will offer cursor movement on the edit page itself. Of course there always is the WP7 standard textbox feature of Tap-and-Hold to get a cursor that you can move around, but for long texts that's somewhat fiddly, I think I can improve on that. Stay tuned.

Thanks for your quick reply! I have used the overview page, but some times even the smallest font cant fit the whole text that I have. I cant wait to see the next version! :)

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
:D just updated to 1.2, I love the cursor movement that you implemented. It works great with the overview mode and it is really elegant, covering all the aspects (line by line, letter by letter, move to the end, to the top, paragrapgh!)

Kudos to you!!

[edit] I realised something after using the updated app. I am not sure if it is a limitation or a bug, so when you try to navigate using the cursor placement, the keyboard is closed. But when you try to open the keyboard, the cursor will move to the very end of the text and placing the cursor will be kind of pointless for editing. fortunately you can use the one on the side, not the main navigation button.

Last edited:

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
How to continue editing

Thanks for your feedback, good you like it.

But when you try to open the keyboard, the cursor will move to the very end of the text and placing the cursor will be kind of pointless for editing. fortunately you can use the one on the side, not the main navigation button.

I am not sure I understand what you mean with "the one on the side". But anyway, the way to re-open the keyboard and continue with editing is tapping the "check mark" or "ok" navigation button on the right of the other buttons. You are right that if you activate the text box in any other way the cursor position is changed / lost. (That's mostly a WP7 thing outside of the control of NickWrite, as far as I see.)

rbrunner

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
New version 1.2

Somewhat belatedly I can announce a new version of 1.2 for NickWrite.

This version offers something that I haven't seen in any other WP7 app so far: You can move the cursor with dedicated navigation buttons. As you can see on the screenshot, that's something like the Home, End, Cursor Up/Down etc. group of keys on a real keyboard. (I wanted to do this right from version 1.0 but did not find a way to implement it - until now.)

Especially by using Page Up and Page Down on the Overview page navigating longer texts has become much easier.

Furthermore there is support for live tiles: You can pin individual templates to the Start Page. You can configure such a tile to start NickWrite in edit mode for the template, or to directly go to the WP7 message send or mail send pages. With recipients defined you can send something with only 2 taps - one on the tile and one on the "Send" button.

I will soon complete the app's web page at NickWrite ? Das Megos .NET-Weblog with a detailed change log and add more feature descriptions.

sssutanto

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure I understand what you mean with "the one on the side". But anyway, the way to re-open the keyboard and continue with editing is tapping the "check mark" or "ok" navigation button on the right of the other buttons. You are right that if you activate the text box in any other way the cursor position is changed / lost. (That's mostly a WP7 thing outside of the control of NickWrite, as far as I see.)

Been using your apps in daily basis now!

Yes, I didn't realise there is the check mark button, thanks for opening my eyes ;p I also notice that if you swipe back to writing mode the cursor stays, so another to make the cursor stays in position :)

Just to explain about buttons on side are "w>" and "<". Because you can always access these buttons even when the keyboard opens ;)

It is perfect now!! Thank you so much!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon