Reading for later, Instapaper app

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Version 1.0 is finally certified! You can get it here! Version 1.1 is undergoing certification and will bring live tiles to the app.

Known issues:
* Users being able to login without subscriber account resulting in never-ending load (fixed in 1.2)
* Text being clipped when reading the article title (fixed in 1.2)
* Text being clipped when it's a really long article (trying to find out)

Hello there!
I have started creating an app for using Instapaper on your Windows Phone.

Instapaper FAQ
What does Instapaper do?

Instapaper facilitates easy reading of long text content.

We discover web content throughout the day, and sometimes, we don’t have time to read long articles right when we find them.

Instapaper allows you to easily save them for later, when you do have time, so you don’t just forget about them or skim through them.​

Last edited:

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Pictures of the app

Hello there!
I have started creating an app for using Instapaper on your Windows Phone.

Instapaper FAQ
What does Instapaper do?

Instapaper facilitates easy reading of long text content.

We discover web content throughout the day, and sometimes, we don’t have time to read long articles right when we find them.

Instapaper allows you to easily save them for later, when you do have time, so you don’t just forget about them or skim through them.​

Currently I have made a rough prototype of the app and my vision but I am already looking for suggestions. At the moment I feel the app feels a bit "empty" but on the other hand it fits well with the Metro UI principals (aka no unnecessary content, don't clog it with images that isn't context-based). I am also interested in people that use Instapaper already (either on Windows Phone) or on the computer/iPhone/Android that can give me some input what you feel is _required_ and what would be considered "neat" to have.
Realised some silly mistakes with the Metro design and added some features:
Photo Album - Imgur

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I really like it! I think you should add a "Paper" theme like the kindle reader for wp7. Stairing at white screens for a long time can be hard on the eyes. Otherwise awesome... I would use it.

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I really like it! I think you should add a "Paper" theme like the kindle reader for wp7. Stairing at white screens for a long time can be hard on the eyes. Otherwise awesome... I would use it.

I figured I would try staying as close to the metro ux and not deviating (e.g Facebook app) from it very much. You can always swap around between Light/Dark theme but I did the screenshots in the Light theme mainly because I think it looks better. Or perhaps you mean the actual "read text" page?

grasshoper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I like the pictures already. Will definitely use it when it comes to marketplace. My thought: release a first version on marketplace and listen to the feedbacks to implement new functionality. I for once will give you some feedback when its first released :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I like the pictures already. Will definitely use it when it comes to marketplace. My thought: release a first version on marketplace and listen to the feedbacks to implement new functionality. I for once will give you some feedback when its first released :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

It's undergoing certification as we speak. Only issue I'm aware of right now is that it might crash for an unknown reason when you are in a low coverage area (where I live I got full 3G coverage + WiFi most of the time) so hoping crash reports (yay!) will tell me how big the problem is and what's causing it.

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Added live tile for showing unread bookmarks.

Uv6Fp.png

FriendOrDafoe

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I figured I would try staying as close to the metro ux and not deviating (e.g Facebook app) from it very much. You can always swap around between Light/Dark theme but I did the screenshots in the Light theme mainly because I think it looks better. Or perhaps you mean the actual "read text" page?

I mean when you are reading a story there should be some kind of sepia option that is easier on the eyes.

See example.

http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/05/20/kindle3.jpg

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Svanteh, the app is not loading my stuff....what's wrong? Takes forever to load till you quit it. Help

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Svanteh, the app is not loading my stuff....what's wrong? Takes forever to load till you quit it. Help

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

Just to check, do you have a subscription (can be bought from Instapaper.com 3$ for 3 months)?
Update: Version 1.2 will notify users logging in about subscription is required.

Last edited:

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Going through final testing of version 1.2 to make sure everything works as it seems the live notification is broken on 1.1 and I have no clue a) why it happens and b) why Microsoft let the certification pass.

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Version 1.2 has been sent in. Been busy with finishing this semester and a funeral got in the way so finally had the time to work on Reading for later a bit.

grasshoper

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Argh, I tried your app today and once logged in the apps go try to gather my articles and then crashes. Impossible to have it working!

I have a paid account and other apps work just fine ... Any clue ? I am on nokia Lumia 800 cyan with latest Tango.

Sent from an HP Touchpad turned evil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital