MetroTalk: New Google Voice client is now available!

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I added a new phone number to my Google Voice account, but I do not see in under call settings. Is there a way to refresh the available phones in my account?

Sorry, I completely missed this. Signing out and then back into your account, should do the trick. Please make sure that the "type" of the phone on Google Voice's website is set to either home or mobile.

If you continue having problems, feel free to send me an email. You can find the address in the "about" page in settings.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I just tried this out today. Very good app. I'm undecided on which of the two GV apps to use. This or GoVoice.

Right now GoVoice gets a slight nod because I like its interface approach. On my Nokia 900, it makes the better use out of the Clear Black Display. I just love that along with how it uses large font sizes for the headers of each pivot. Simple, yet powerful looking GUI and it makes it appear very native. This isn't a knock on MetroTalk. What I like about MetroTalk is that it uses my contact pictures from my contacts and inherits my theme colors.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I just tried this out today. Very good app. I'm undecided on which of the two GV apps to use. This or GoVoice.

Right now GoVoice gets a slight nod because I like its interface approach. On my Nokia 900, it makes the better use out of the Clear Black Display. I just love that along with how it uses large font sizes for the headers of each pivot. Simple, yet powerful looking GUI and it makes it appear very native. This isn't a knock on MetroTalk. What I like about MetroTalk is that it uses my contact pictures from my contacts and inherits my theme colors.
MetroTalk dev here. Do you feel that the UI is too busy? I also use the Lumia 900 and love the CBD, but I feel that if the interface is too plain, then that makes the UI more boring. As it is right now, I would guess that it uses enough black, to make CBD shine. If you have any suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Also in my personal extremely biased opinion ;), MetroTalk is comfortably ahead of other clients when it comes to performance. You can try that by opening a message thread that is a few dozen messages long (if you have conversations with >100 messages, even better). Also, you may want to check out Quick Reply. That's when you tap on a notification, for opening a new message instantly. It does make a difference on a day-to-day use.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
MetroTalk dev here. Do you feel that the UI is too busy? I also use the Lumia 900 and love the CBD, but I feel that if the interface is too plain, then that makes the UI more boring. As it is right now, I would guess that it uses enough black, to make CBD shine. If you have any suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear them.

Also in my personal extremely biased opinion ;), MetroTalk is comfortably ahead of other clients when it comes to performance. You can try that by opening a message thread that is a few dozen messages long (if you have conversations with >100 messages, even better). Also, you may want to check out Quick Reply. That's when you tap on a notification, for opening a new message instantly. It does make a difference on a day-to-day use.
You forced my hand. Now I'll have to use this since it's free. :lol:

FuzzyHat

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm a new WP8 user with the order of my 920 this morning. I wanted to make sure of the following for MetroTalk and please excuse me as I did not read the entire thread.

1. Am I able to receive calls via my Google Voice number?
2. Am I able to make calls via my Google Voice number?

These are very important to me as I use my GVoice number for my work direct line. I need this to work 100% of the time.

Thak you in advance.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm a new WP8 user with the order of my 920 this morning. I wanted to make sure of the following for MetroTalk and please excuse me as I did not read the entire thread.

1. Am I able to receive calls via my Google Voice number?
2. Am I able to make calls via my Google Voice number?

These are very important to me as I use my GVoice number for my work direct line. I need this to work 100% of the time.

Thak you in advance.

MetroTalk was designed for supporting the original Google Voice service. The way that worked is that for receiving calls to your Google Voice number, you need to configure the service so it forwards those calls to some other phone number that you own (thus those calls are obviously routed over the cellular network). If you need help doing that, please let me know. In a similar way, outgoing calls also need to be routed through the cellular network. But yes, if you place a call within MetroTalk, your Google Voice number will appear as the caller ID.

I am currently working on supporting calls over WiFi on WP8. This requires combining the Google Talk and Google Voice services, so it will take a bit of work. I hope I will have more details to share and better news for you in the near future!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am currently working on supporting calls over WiFi on WP8. This requires combining the Google Talk and Google Voice services, so it will take a bit of work. I hope I will have more details to share and better news for you in the near future!
WOW! That will be amazing if you can pull that off! That's probably the closest we can get to T-Mobile's Wifi calling solution, which doesn't (yet?) exist for Windows Phone.

This begs the question: Will you be making a separate version of this app for WP8, possibly taking advantage of the new VoIP API, and other new features such as fast resume?

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This begs the question: Will you be making a separate version of this app for WP8, possibly taking advantage of the new VoIP API, and other new features such as fast resume?

That is correct. There is really no other way, since the WP8 version needs to include code that WP7 doesn't support. It will still be the same app though, which means if you got the WP7 version, then you can upgrade to the WP8 one for free. I believe the way this is handled is that you submit different versions of the app to Microsoft, and specify the version of the OS each should be available to.

Actually the WP8 version without WiFi calling (for now!) should be coming out soon enough :)

Isolated1

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
MetroTalk was designed for supporting the original Google Voice service. The way that worked is that for receiving calls to your Google Voice number, you need to configure the service so it forwards those calls to some other phone number that you own (thus those calls are obviously routed over the cellular network). If you need help doing that, please let me know. In a similar way, outgoing calls also need to be routed through the cellular network. But yes, if you place a call within MetroTalk, your Google Voice number will appear as the caller ID.

Holy cow! I am a new member to this forum but I have to admit that I was stealthily browsing it for weeks! I want to thank you for creating MetroTalk because one of hardest decision for me in switching over from an iPhone to WP8 was Google Voice support. I use it for texting and used an app called Talkatone for dialing purposes over Wifi. If you can incorporate calling over Wifi, that would be friggin top notch.

My upgrade isn't until December 25th but I am reading all I can about the Lumia 920 and once I do get it, you can guarandamtee that I will be buying your app the first chance I get!

Thank you!!!!!:D

FuzzyHat

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

your app will be the first purchase when I (hopefully) get my phone on friday

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyway to sign in if you have gmail two step verification? I'm assuming that's why I cant log in.

You have to create an app-specific password. Go to Google (classic if you're on mobile), click on your name in the upper right, then "Account," "Security," "Authorizing apps and sites." You will reach a screen where you can generate one time passwords. I use 2-step and MetroTalk just fine together:)

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, anyone else having issues with the app logging into google voice? Tells me that the connection failed and to check my internet connection. It was working just a week ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05