MetroTalk: New Google Voice client is now available!

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, anyone else having issues with the app logging into google voice? Tells me that the connection failed and to check my internet connection. It was working just a week ago.
That's strange! Would you mind email me at support AT metrotalk-windowsphone DOT com, so we can look into this? Thanks.

FuzzyHat

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
MetroTalk was designed for supporting the original Google Voice service. The way that worked is that for receiving calls to your Google Voice number, you need to configure the service so it forwards those calls to some other phone number that you own (thus those calls are obviously routed over the cellular network). If you need help doing that, please let me know. In a similar way, outgoing calls also need to be routed through the cellular network. But yes, if you place a call within MetroTalk, your Google Voice number will appear as the caller ID.

I am currently working on supporting calls over WiFi on WP8. This requires combining the Google Talk and Google Voice services, so it will take a bit of work. I hope I will have more details to share and better news for you in the near future!

I have purchased your app, and it works fantastic. Thank you for your hard work and dedication! It is greatly appreciated!

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
What are the chances of this being integrated into the messaging hub? Would love to get my google voice texts directly there. ****, I would pay an update fee for that!

Lol...that would only happen if MSFT did it on their end...which will never happen. I'm excited to see Google Talk integrated into MetroTalk (which is supposed to be in queue as a feature addition). Can't wait!

dacunto

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Lol...that would only happen if MSFT did it on their end...which will never happen. I'm excited to see Google Talk integrated into MetroTalk (which is supposed to be in queue as a feature addition). Can't wait!

Oh, I must be mistaken. I though MSFT allowed (supplied the API hooks) third party IM to integrate into the messaging hub similar to facebook or messenger?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I must be mistaken. I though MSFT allowed (supplied the API hooks) third party IM to integrate into the messaging hub similar to facebook or messenger?

Hm...in that case I could be completely wrong=/ I was only speaking from experience on pretty much every platform where the proprietary messaging app is separate from 3rd party services unless enabled on the backend by the 1st party. I'm not at all familiar with WP8's new dev features though.

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
What are the chances of this being integrated into the messaging hub? Would love to get my google voice texts directly there. ****, I would pay an update fee for that!
Like you have already figured out and as far as I know, integration with the messaging hub is not possible. Currently, only VoIP integration is available to third-party apps (i.e. receiving calls through the native dialer interface) and some level of address book integration (i.e. initiating new messages or calls through Google Voice from a contact card).

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
MetroTalk was one of the first apps I purchased when I got my new Lumia 920 to get free text. Great app; nice and clean interface and once I customized push notifications it works wonderfully. Canceled my text plan to save some cash :)

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
MetroTalk was one of the first apps I purchased when I got my new Lumia 920 to get free text. Great app; nice and clean interface and once I customized push notifications it works wonderfully. Canceled my text plan to save some cash :)

And the app gets updated regularly (that's more than I can say about a lot of paid apps on WP).

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And the app gets updated regularly (that's more than I can say about a lot of paid apps on WP).
I purchased the app before seeing this thread but it's great to see the developer on here communicating with it's customers.

I forgot to ask, apoelin, is there an update in progress to add lock screen notification or is that currently not possible with the OS?

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to ask, apoelin, is there an update in progress to add lock screen notification or is that currently not possible with the OS?

If you are talking about WP8, then it's definitely possible. Here's what is currently ready and in testing:

- Fast resume
- Multi-size tile support
- Lock-screen unread counter
- Text-to-speech
- Secondary tiles are working now on WP8 (with fast resume support)

I am hoping to submit this update to Microsoft early next week. Obviously, there are more updates to follow after that.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
If you are talking about WP8, then it's definitely possible. Here's what is currently ready and in testing:

- Fast resume
- Multi-size tile support
- Lock-screen unread counter
- Text-to-speech
- Secondary tiles are working now on WP8 (with fast resume support)

I am hoping to submit this update to Microsoft early next week. Obviously, there are more updates to follow after that.
Yup, I was referring to WP8. Those updates sound great and I'll be looking forward to them. Thanks for creating this awesome app. Makes my transition from iOS to WP8 on the Lumia 920 that much smoother and enjoyable with great apps like this.

MadFoodScientist

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to have voicemail play back over the headset instead of the phone loud speaker? It makes it hard to listen to voicemail in public. Also, I windows RT version of this app would be great for my Surface!

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to have voicemail play back over the headset instead of the phone loud speaker? It makes it hard to listen to voicemail in public. Also, I windows RT version of this app would be great for my Surface!
That's a good question! I know that this wasn't possible in WP7, but I am not sure if it has changed in WP8. Let me look into it this weekend, and see what I can find.

Also, I would love to develop for WinRT, but it is very difficult for me to do so right now. If in a couple of months nobody has created a good GV client, then I can give it a go :)

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have an update about this, and it's both good news and bad news. The good news is that it can be done. The bad news is that it is not easy to implement, and it will take some time. So although this feature is coming, it won't be in the next couple of weeks.

Glavata

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
On my Lumia 920, when I go to settings and push notifications, select it to 'on' the app crashes to main screen. Then when I come back to it, push notifications are again set to 'off'. Any help regarding this?

What I want to achieve if possible is to get my text messages instantly to the app with a notification. Right now my text message plan does not support a lot of text messages and I have been using email for this purpose, but I hope it can be done with this app?

Thanks!

EDIT: Got everything working! Sweet! Love the app, and looking forward to future updates :)

Last edited:

apoelin

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
On my Lumia 920, when I go to settings and push notifications, select it to 'on' the app crashes to main screen. Then when I come back to it, push notifications are again set to 'off'. Any help regarding this?

What I want to achieve if possible is to get my text messages instantly to the app with a notification. Right now my text message plan does not support a lot of text messages and I have been using email for this purpose, but I hope it can be done with this app?

Thanks!

EDIT: Got everything working! Sweet! Love the app, and looking forward to future updates :)

Great to hear you got it working! You mentioned that the app was crashing though? Do you mean returning back to the Folders page, or an actual crash? If it's the latter, is there a specific set of steps, than can reproduce the problem on a consistent basis? I will be very interested in looking into this, if you have more info. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb