2 new apps: Mathletics & Spelling Wizard

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi fellow WPCentral readers. Haven't posted here for a while. Been busy developing some apps exclusive for WP. Still frequent the site daily though.

Spelling Wizard: A fun and easy way to help kids practice and improve their spelling at their own pace. Packed with 3400 carefully selected spoken words, Spelling Wizard will ensure that kids get a combination of both easy and difficult words to practice and learn.

As a parent you can control how difficult and how much assistance Spelling Wizard gives your kids. You have the ability to view and sample each of the spoken words upfront and even exclude certain words from the dictionary. Parents have the ability to get an effective assessment of your kids playing history with a basic summary of each session, which will highlight words that kids are having difficulty with.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-AU/apps/4a1fd01e-4282-4562-be46-53b5e047fb0f

It's been great fun developing them, a lot of time and effort has been put into them and I am already thinking of ways to continue to improve them in future. Of course my apps are WP exclusive :)

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Forget the kids. My spelling and Math skills are insulting to all mankind. I might try your apps. Need all the help I can get.

Good luck!! I will check them out. Respect your skills and dedication.

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Forget the kids. My spelling and Math skills are insulting to all mankind. I might try your apps. Need all the help I can get.

Good luck!! I will check them out. Respect your skills and dedication.

thanks snowmutt. I would look forward to getting feedback especially for Spelling Wizard as when I was testing with my LG E900, the sound was soft and quite, but OK on my Lumia 800. Hoping it does not become an issue for users. I may have to suggest that some people use headphones if the sound is to soft, or simply turn the volume up.

The words from the higher grades (grades 11 & 12) can be quite hard. I researched a lot of the words from various educational based websites so am sure that my words for each grade are appropraite. I also put a lot of effort into making sure I did not use words that sound the same such as flower and flour, or words that did not sound very clear, though that can still be subjective. My wife and I listned to each of the unique words and eliminated any we thought were not being spoken very clear.

In all I spent just as much time researching and generating spoken words and putting them into the correct grade amongst a few other non development tasks as I did developing the app. It has been a bigger effort than I thought it would be, but wanted to get it as good as possible and not rush it. Finding the best Text To Speech synthesis was the hardest of all, especially getting as good a balance for the voices I had to pick from.

I had a very small budget so some features had to get left out for the initial version. With a return of my efforts, I will be able to fund more features for the app, that I had to leave out.

Dan.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss