Introducing Skinery Tiles (the FIRST custom tile that launches third party apps!)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Looks like you're getting great feedback here. Please remember that it is impossible to please everyone, but thanks for going the extra mile. Windows Phone users love updates and communication, so you're making a great start. Please keep up the great work! :)

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
This is really neat.

What would make this even better imho is if you had skins that included a bunch of the WP theme colors. That way I could make my WP start screen look more like the Windows 8 start screen. I always thought it looked cool in W8 to have a bunch of colors and was surprised that I couldn't individually choose colors for MS's apps when I first played around with WP.

Also, a question: if how you can make tiles for the Store, Wallet, and IE, can you also make small tile versions of Settings and People? Or is that not permitted somehow? Those are not live tiles when small (as far as I know?) and I'd love to be able to skin them.
this +1

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I will try to explain again.

Skinery Tile is creating tiles which start other applications.
But these tiles are 'fake' and do not work properly as you would expect.

With the tiles created by SkineryTile app, you won't see the number of missed calls, or missed messages or any information which live tiles display.
This cripples the Windows Phone experience and creates confusion for users.

This is because the apps do not know about and cannot communicate with the tile created by the Skinery Tile.
Skinery Tile happens to be able to run certain applications which expose a special feature (can be started by invoking a URL).

Again, I do not wish to bash this application. I like the ingenuity of the creator.
But the application is useless and I wouldn't recommend it, it cripples the Windows Phone experience.
I am sorry but it shouldn't even passed the certification, because it creates confusion for users.

If the creator of this app loves Windows Phone he shouldn't promote this app :)

Like with ALL apps, if you don't want it on your phone, don't put it on. However, because you don't like it doesn't ruin "the Windows experience" for those that like it. Its kind of a simple concept. Discouraging a developer from making an app (on a platform that is starving for apps) will ruin the "Windows experience" more than this app.

andrew120

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
#1. I don't want to discourage the developer.
I clearly stated in my previous post that I liked his ingenuity.

#2. If you look to the video, it shows the 'skinned' tiles for the phone and SMS.
At least those shouldn't be offered as an option to 'skin' because it seriously degrades the user experience, the user will not be able to see his missed sms and phone calls.
He will not have any idea why they are not appearing.

It will be funny to start seeing people asking on support forums why they are not seeing their missed messages or phone calls. Is that what you want?
Don't we have enough uncertainty and confusion regarding Windows Phone?
Do you want to start seeing posts on different forums where people say they do not see their missed calls?

#3. About your comment "(on a platform that is starving for apps)":
I think it's starving for good apps not for ANY app.
I would prefer 20,000 quality apps like than 100,000+ useless or crappy apps.
Android and iOS have tens of stupid flashlight apps clones, why should Windows Phone be the same?

Like with ALL apps, if you don't want it on your phone, don't put it on. However, because you don't like it doesn't ruin "the Windows experience" for those that like it. Its kind of a simple concept. Discouraging a developer from making an app (on a platform that is starving for apps) will ruin the "Windows experience" more than this app.

Pramodh Rao

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Moved from Android to WP8. Like some of the things and would love to have some from android functionality. Wanted something like direct dial (available on android) which allows a person to have an icon (with or without a photo) and either have call or text as the default option for it. Not sure if Skinery Tiles can do it and have not seen anything that tells me it can be done. I have a specific list of numbers I would like to call without having to go thru searching or using a 2 touch option. Would appreciate if anyone can let m e know if there is anything out there.
Cheers,
PRAO

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I find that the homescreen gets slower with this app, when you press an tile it launches Skinery and then takes you to the app.

I will defenitly use this if there is a way to get it to run a little better and the app support is bigger.

symwpapps

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have good news to share. I have just released a new version of Skinery Tiles that can support Live Tiles. Yup, no more missing live tiles information and crippled Windows Phone experience. But let me state upfront that although Skinery can support Live Tiles, it takes time for apps to enable Live Tiles with Skinery. The only live tile app now is my own app, Games Gone Free. As such, I need your help to feedback to app developers to support Live Tiles with Skinery. Check out this new thread for more details on The Skinery Movement I started.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello, bought skinery pro few days back. Quite nice when you get hang of it. I for example made maps and drive tiles having my car as a backround.

BUT i have also problems,and questions. I made second group having some urls, alarm and win store. Problem with store is that it goes straigth to store, not to same starting point as normaly. Now i cant see Nokia collection? Also when launching alarm, it has english language, not finnish as it should be on my phone. Also there is something wrong with alarm it starts. I cant change the 'once' option to anything else (i mean monday, tuesday etc...). When pressing save, it still 'once'. Time can be changed.

Any advice?

symwpapps

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello, bought skinery pro few days back. Quite nice when you get hang of it. I for example made maps and drive tiles having my car as a backround.

BUT i have also problems,and questions. I made second group having some urls, alarm and win store. Problem with store is that it goes straigth to store, not to same starting point as normaly. Now i cant see Nokia collection? Also when launching alarm, it has english language, not finnish as it should be on my phone. Also there is something wrong with alarm it starts. I cant change the 'once' option to anything else (i mean monday, tuesday etc...). When pressing save, it still 'once'. Time can be changed.

Any advice?

Hi, are you using the latest version of Skinery? It should be version 3.0.6.0. As for the language for the alarm, I need help to localise it to finnish. If you are interested, please drop me a mail at sym.wp7.apps@gmail.com

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I think i have the latest. I dont know how to verify it. If I go to store and search the app it doesnt give update choice so it must be the right version. Downloaded it three days ago.

sent you email about localizing to finnish.

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Please see the attachment, how do I do something like this with one of my photos? I was told that Skinery was used? Thanks!

Attachments

• wp_ss_20130314_0001.png
    wp_ss_20130314_0001.png
    220.1 KB · Views: 191

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Please see the attachment, how do I do something like this with one of my photos? I was told that Skinery was used? Thanks!

Why don't you download app and try? Or what was the question? Don't you know how to use it?

If you have Skinery, following could be done:

- Open Skinery
- Choose skin

Now choose skin what suits you best, what you want to do. If you want above 4x4 small tiles, choose skin having those. It doesn't matter if skin has more tiles, different size tiles etc. It just needs to have that 4x4 grid somewhere. When chosen:

- Create skin
- Use photo (now choose your doggy style photo)
- Resize and move the photo so, that it fills that 4x4 grid. Remember, you are now using only 4x4 grid, nothing else.
- Done

Now you have created your doggy skin, next

- Choose skin (and press done)
- Tap tile to edit

And now tap each of those 4x4 tiles and choose Apps there what you want (or left some blank as above).

- Then Done

Then from top screen tap "Tap on tile to pin on start screen" and start pinning each tile of your 4x4 grid.

Now you have your doggy on your start screen with apps you choose.

CaptDjob

May 11, 2012
Visit site
My experience with this app is that it works only with certain no brainer apps and URLs. Otherwise at least I have problems for example with alarm clock(can only save alarm for "once"), Here Maps starts somewhere else(having different menus, looks like different version of maps that I have) than my original Here Maps. Windows Store starts in general store, no Nokia Collection anywhere. Also updates are not showing in store tile.

Nokia Drive seems to work, all URLs work fine, offline toggle works and so on.

Meny things to improve, but already now with just URLs as one nice "own photo backround" group this is worth trying.

symwpapps

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
My experience with this app is that it works only with certain no brainer apps and URLs. Otherwise at least I have problems for example with alarm clock(can only save alarm for "once"), Here Maps starts somewhere else(having different menus, looks like different version of maps that I have) than my original Here Maps. Windows Store starts in general store, no Nokia Collection anywhere. Also updates are not showing in store tile.

Nokia Drive seems to work, all URLs work fine, offline toggle works and so on.

Meny things to improve, but already now with just URLs as one nice "own photo backround" group this is worth trying.

Sorry about the weird behaviour of the apps. The reason is that there is limitation in how an app can launch another app, which is also why not all apps are supported because each app needs to enable this for it to work. But rest assured, things will get better over time. Skinery is constantly releasing new updates to make it even better. In fact, we are currently gathering use feedback and you drop your comments here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JXmEq2ZGNT_obIGLuxe-XqDExaC_CtQ-G7dAvyrcnL0/viewform

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett