Collector for Windows Phone (Flipboard alternative)

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, we just sent an update to Microsoft with the following changes:

- RSS Feed search engine
- Background agent to update live tiles
- Italian localization
- Number of articles to check
- Improved article content (spaces and typography)
- Share articles via email
- Brand new pin-icons, hand-made designed for each category
- Few UI/UX improvements
- Bugfix for some crashes reported by few users

We expect to see it live on the marketplace within 5 days.

Cheers

m4tthall

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
How's about making it free for 24-48 hours, so we can see it fully working? I like the app, but cannot warrant spending the ?? until i have seen it working with more than one interest.

There is plenty to see without paying, I don't get your point? It's hardly expensive too, think about the effort put in.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I saw this thread literally minutes after buying the paid version of Fuse. Collector looks good enough I might not even use Fuse after the next couple Collector updates come out.

Actually, with my obsessive use of news apps, I'll probably keep both. Bottom line: good work on this app.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, we just sent an update to Microsoft with the following changes:

- RSS Feed search engine
- Background agent to update live tiles
- Italian localization
- Number of articles to check
- Improved article content (spaces and typography)
- Share articles via email
- Brand new pin-icons, hand-made designed for each category
- Few UI/UX improvements
- Bugfix for some crashes reported by few users

We expect to see it live on the marketplace within 5 days.

Cheers

Can't wait for the update!

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday we sent the 1.3 to Microsoft. It should be available within the next 4 days, and here is the changelog:

- Facebook integration (timeline collection, likes, etc)
- New re-designed home screen (it's very cool, trust me)
- Share via email
- Other little improvements and fixes to make the app bulletproof

I'll let you know as soon as the update will be available ;)

en2.png

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I could help with French :)

It would be precious! Could you PM me with your email as well? :)

All our contributors will get access to the beta versions of Collector, which means that you can try all our features few weeks before they go live, and of course you don't have to pay ?1.49 to enjoy Collector on your phone.

blnwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
@Nicholas Valbusa As a frequent user now, the only thing which really bothers me is the time taken to refresh the collections. I know that it's very hard to collect content from multiple sources very quickly. Are you doing it with a server or is it fetched from the phone directly? To compare(not fairly) with Flipboard, it refreshes feeds lot quicker which I believe is due to the content fetched from their servers and not directly. But as I said, it's not a fair comparison with their huge investments and you guys as small indie developers. It was just a nitpick. If you can optimize it a little, might make a great difference.

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
@Nicholas Valbusa As a frequent user now, the only thing which really bothers me is the time taken to refresh the collections. I know that it's very hard to collect content from multiple sources very quickly. Are you doing it with a server or is it fetched from the phone directly? To compare(not fairly) with Flipboard, it refreshes feeds lot quicker which I believe is due to the content fetched from their servers and not directly. But as I said, it's not a fair comparison with their huge investments and you guys as small indie developers. It was just a nitpick. If you can optimize it a little, might make a great difference.

Hi, this is currently something that internally was discussed a lot during the development, and we decided to opt for the "fetched by the phone" for two reasons:

- As you said, we're small indie devs, so there's no money to get a big infrastructure like Flipboard does
- Collections are custom made rather than "chosen by the server". This means that "Technology" could be different for each users; it really depends on what you decided to put inside.

Right now, we're planning to making huge improvements on the collections update, I promise that it will be very fast in the near future :)

TopTomy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Great, thanks!

The most missing feature is an option to create an account that saves your feeds... so that way you can login from different devices and have your feed right away.
Tom.

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Great, thanks!

The most missing feature is an option to create an account that saves your feeds... so that way you can login from different devices and have your feed right away.
Tom.

This feature (login/signup/backup/restore) will probably be implemented around the end of April :) don't worry!

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What I'd love to see implemented on this app is an attractive live tile. I haven't really found any news app on WP yet that displays news headlines on a live tile effectively.

On Windows 8/RT, the built in News app and the Sky News app have excellent live tiles. Something like that would work nicely.

I'd love to see on one side the latest headline with a photo (like the Win 8 News app) and on the flip/back side of the tile maybe the next three latest headlines and last updated timestamp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb