Collector for Windows Phone (Flipboard alternative)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Purchased the App to help support you guys. Unfortunately i find Weaver has a better presentation at the moment (sorry, just being honest) so im using it much more right now. If you guys could add many more resources to pull articles from, in addition to modifying the layout ill run back.

keep working hard, its getting there.

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Purchased the App to help support you guys. Unfortunately i find Weaver has a better presentation at the moment (sorry, just being honest) so im using it much more right now. If you guys could add many more resources to pull articles from, in addition to modifying the layout ill run back.

keep working hard, its getting there.
Thanks for your feedback, we'll do our best to make the app better on each iteration. :smile:

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback, we'll do our best to make the app better on each iteration. :smile:

It's definitely getting there. Each update improves it. Looking forward to the updated article view page. :)

Two things holding me back from using this more are:

1. The pixelated images
2. The live tile implementation (both design and update frequency)

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

few days ago we sent to Microsoft the version 1.5 of Collector with the following changelog:

- Bugfix for random crashes at startup (finally!)
- Bugfix for random crashes while reading the articles (yay!)
- Unread/read articles
- Fix for low-quality and pixelated images on some sources (especially the ones with social sharing buttons)
- Other little improvements

We expect to see it live on the Marketplace this Saturday.

Moreover, we planned to add Google Reader support for the next iteration (that will be released probably around the 12th of May) so you'll be able to import your Google Reader feeds collection before it will be closed. :)

Stay tuned!

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Nicholus/Collector team,

You have build a great flipboard alternative. I used it for quite sometime myself. Don't you think its better to add the page flip effect like already available in Flipboard to collector app as well? Or may be instead a page turn effect? An app named WeatherFlow already offers this kind of effect on Windows Phone.

Thanks
Arpit

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Nicholus/Collector team,

You have build a great flipboard alternative. I used it for quite sometime myself. Don't you think its better to add the page flip effect like already available in Flipboard to collector app as well? Or may be instead a page turn effect? An app named WeatherFlow already offers this kind of effect on Windows Phone.

Thanks
Arpit
Hi Arpit,

thanks for your idea, I'll definitely take a look at WeatherFlow to see how they implemented the page-turn effect. I'd love to make something similar (like Flipboard does) but I'll need to find out a c# solution to implement it :)

Will keep you updated, thanks for now

Nicholas

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Excellent News Reader. The regular updates to the App are the best. Finally a good Flipboard alternative. Flipboard can now continue to "consider" building a WP8 App. Once Feedly is integrated, this will be the 'mother of all news readers apps' on the WP platform.

Thanks a ton !

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Excellent News Reader. The regular updates to the App are the best. Finally a good Flipboard alternative. Flipboard can now continue to "consider" building a WP8 App. Once Feedly is integrated, this will be the 'mother of all news readers apps' on the WP platform.

Thanks a ton !

Thanks for your kind feedback! We'll keep working to make the app better every week. :)

A little update, the 1.5.1 is on the store:
- Bugfix for random crashes at startup
- Import feeds from Google Reader
- Unread/read articles
- Fix for low-quality images in some feeds
- Little improvements

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

I've been using Weave for a long time now and I think it's the best thing sense sliced bread (So I dont need a app for every site or subject I read a lot). I just saw this thread today. Is this much better than Weave is ? Just wondering is it worth upgrading to this app ? The full price @ $1.49 seems pretty reasonable (Weave is $9.99 for the full no ads app), I know the demo is limited and I watched the video but, not sure what the advantages are over Weave.

Anyone ?

PS. To the Dev, not trying to pick on your app in anway, just wanted to know as I have been using one app for a LONG time now.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Not at all familiar with Weave. But I think the only way to get an idea of an app is to use it. I don't recall if Collector has a trial option. Personally, I like it. Still has some ways to go. But the developer is really great with keeping users updated on updates and progress of the app

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Not at all familiar with Weave. But I think the only way to get an idea of an app is to use it. I don't recall if Collector has a trial option. Personally, I like it. Still has some ways to go. But the developer is really great with keeping users updated on updates and progress of the app

Ok, here is a question, in Weave, I selected Windows Phone and it went out and pulls all the RSS feeds for Windows Phone(10 or more sites I see time to time) and I had weave setup in about 2 min with Gaming, Windows Phone, news, etc. In setup for Collector, I just see the sites I can select but, can't select a subject like I could in weave. Is it possable with this app ?

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, here is a question, in Weave, I selected Windows Phone and it went out and pulls all the RSS feeds for Windows Phone(10 or more sites I see time to time) and I had weave setup in about 2 min with Gaming, Windows Phone, news, etc. In setup for Collector, I just see the sites I can select but, can't select a subject like I could in weave. Is it possable with this app ?

Hello,

you can search for any other website using our search-engine, or you can just add the website by typing its url.

Collector lets you create your own collections which contains any number of sources (feeds, blogs, websites, etc).
Moreover, you can also create a collection with your twitter/facebook/instagram timeline.

Please let me know if you have any other thought ;)

p.s. check the attached pic here

wp_ss_20130514_0001.jpg

Nicholas

brunok

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

I've been using Weave for a long time now and I think it's the best thing sense sliced bread (So I dont need a app for every site or subject I read a lot). I just saw this thread today. Is this much better than Weave is ? Just wondering is it worth upgrading to this app ? The full price @ $1.49 seems pretty reasonable (Weave is $9.99 for the full no ads app), I know the demo is limited and I watched the video but, not sure what the advantages are over Weave.

Anyone ?

PS. To the Dev, not trying to pick on your app in anway, just wanted to know as I have been using one app for a LONG time now.
Well, Weave is a more "mature" app since it's been developed for a while. However, Collector is improving a lot and I think it has a great future, although it's already a good app. I bought it to support development, but I don't use it as much as Nextgen Reader.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

you can search for any other website using our search-engine, or you can just add the website by typing its url.

Collector lets you create your own collections which contains any number of sources (feeds, blogs, websites, etc).
Moreover, you can also create a collection with your twitter/facebook/instagram timeline.

Please let me know if you have any other thought ;)

p.s. check the attached pic here

View attachment 33920

Nicholas

Just tested this, works great

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Nicholas Valbusa, fantastic looking application. I just bought it...only two things I see. I know you're getting a lot of comments, but I hope you can consider these..
- Is it possible to add an option for downloading the full-article directly (instead of the summary)? (I'm without connection for an hour, so RSS is my way to read while being offline, but seeing only a small portion of the article is a deal killer for me. Hope this can be an option in a future release.
- Make tiles smaller on home screen to show more perhaps? (I have about 6 categories..maybe add option to size them like how WP 7.8/8 allows for their tiles as an idea).

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Nicholas Valbusa, fantastic looking application. I just bought it...only two things I see. I know you're getting a lot of comments, but I hope you can consider these..
- Is it possible to add an option for downloading the full-article directly (instead of the summary)? (I'm without connection for an hour, so RSS is my way to read while being offline, but seeing only a small portion of the article is a deal killer for me. Hope this can be an option in a future release.
- Make tiles smaller on home screen to show more perhaps? (I have about 6 categories..maybe add option to size them like how WP 7.8/8 allows for their tiles as an idea).

Hello,

we are currently not downloading the whole article offline just because the database only supports strings with a length up to 5000 characters, which means that we cannot use it.
We could rather use the local storage, like saving html files, and we'll probably add a setting to enable it in the near future so stay tuned! :)

About the tiles, now they are automatically arranged to display up to 6 tiles per page. In the future, we'll add an option to manual adjust the size of each tile.

----

For all the other guys here:

We just released the 1.5.2 with the following features:

- New re-designed "Read article page"
- Article detail page removed
- Few little fixes and general stability improvements

We really hope you like the new article reading page. Please let us know your thoughts :)

Cheers

Nicholas

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb