Temp Contacts 1.4.1 - Save temporary contacts locally on your phone

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Temp Contacts - Save temporary contacts locally on your phone

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question.

You know when you call someone or text someone, if you had a photo for the contact, its not present during calling or texting. When someone calls you, their photo is there, but as soon as you answer the phone it disappears. Is there a way for the photo to remain on the screen during a call and text. BlackBerry and maybe another OS had this feature. This is just for the contacts with photos. I hope you understand a bit more if what I was asking. :)

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site

Thanks Raananan! Really like the app :)

"If you have any other requests please post them so I can see if they are applicable"

Would it be possible to make the 'contacts' page the app 'home' page so that you see all your contacts when first opening the app(instead of 'new contacts'). That would seem to me to make things more convenient if using the app for a separate contact list? (I'm filtering the 'temp contacts' out from the People Hub)

Also an 'about' page with current version and maybe a version history would be helpful.

Thanks for the great app!

I actually love the add new contact page when I load the app. My temp contacts are in the people app, so I can see every contact there. I understand though why you may want it separated if you filtered them out of People. I hope he does just give an option instead of changing the default because People can be a tad draining when adding a new contact. (I don't know why you just can't add the name, number, photo, ringtone and other details all at once instead of adding the name, then save button, phone number, save, photo, save, etc. )

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I added the settings and about pages to the app and now you can choose what will be the landing page when the application starts :)

I also have a nice surprise in the next version. Hope this surprise will be well received :smile:

Those changes will be part of version 1.3 (currently version 1.2 is in the windows store pipeline) which is still under development.

More details to follow.

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

You know when you call someone or text someone, if you had a photo for the contact, its not present during calling or texting. When someone calls you, their photo is there, but as soon as you answer the phone it disappears. Is there a way for the photo to remain on the screen during a call and text. BlackBerry and maybe another OS had this feature. This is just for the contacts with photos. I hope you understand a bit more if what I was asking. :)

Well, I don't know a way to do this, but then again, I'm not an expert. I think you should take this question to a dedicated forum page or something else, sorry.

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Few days ago version 1.3 was successfully entered the store and it brings a lot of improvements.
1. As requested, you can control the landing page of the application (new contact page or the contacts list)
2. Location feature. You can now assign location to the contact based on your location when saving the contact (you can also change the location manually by taping on a new location on the map)
You can disable this feature entirely, and unless you specifically enable this for a specific new contact this info will not even be queried and saved.
3. Contact page. When clicking on a contact you will be moved to a new page which shows all the info on the contact and allow you to call, text and send email. Also you will be able to get directions by double tapping on the map control in that page (assuming you assigned a location to the contact).
4. A lot of other tweaks and improvements as well as some bug fixes

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the new features....especially the landing page option. A very useful app that further organizes your contacts and makes an ever growing contact list managable. A save-contact-info option would definitely fill a need, as I know sooner or later I'll have to do a hard reset and all my temp contact info will be gone. Any progress on that? In any event, thanks for your hard work (and speedy accomodation to requests) on this app...much appreciated!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the new features....especially the landing page option. A very useful app that further organizes your contacts and makes an ever growing contact list managable. A save-contact-info option would definitely fill a need, as I know sooner or later I'll have to do a hard reset and all my temp contact info will be gone. Any progress on that? In any event, thanks for your hard work (and speedy accomodation to requests) on this app...much appreciated!

Well you can sync your contacts to your google/hotmail account , thought I know this is not what you mean.

Maybe raananan can implement a backup file to skydrive and restore option in the app as well. ?

Good work on the update by the way :)

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Well you can sync your contacts to your google/hotmail account , thought I know this is not what you mean.

Maybe raananan can implement a backup file to skydrive and restore option in the app as well. ?

Yeah...I mean just the 'Temp Contact' info, since as you say...the regular 'People' contact info can already be backed up (and I do). As I understand it, the 'Temp Contact' info is stored locally within the app..so it may not get saved? So yeah, we're on the same page with this subject. Sorry to not be more clear.

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I started looking into backing up the contacts somehow.
I started looking into email, sadly I can't send an email attachment, so I guess I can send a VCARD text in the mail so you can back this up (and let me restore it by copy paste).
I think it's not very good solution (hacky).
I then started looking into SkyDrive integration. It's possible for me to save a file in SkyDrive using their SDK, but it is a bit complex, because I need to implement folder and file selection pages and stuff like that, so I will continue looking into that feature and see if there are some toolkits that can help me with that or do it from scratch. But it will take time.

This is the next feature I will implement for sure, I will update more when I have something more concrete.

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

So I had some time to get it done and implement the SkyDrive export and import functionality, it turned out quite nice. There are some room for improvements but I want to wait for some feedback from you guys.
I submitted this to the store and it should take about 5 days to get certified (hope it will go well).

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for working so hard to develop this app. The app seems to be under appreciated/unknown right now, it really helps keep my Contacts more organized and much faster to access.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for working so hard to develop this app. The app seems to be under appreciated/unknown right now, it really helps keep my Contacts more organized and much faster to access.

Indeed it does. I will try to get a review for it on the front page. It's a really great app.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

Indeed it does. I will try to get a review for it on the front page. It's a really great app.
Good idea.

Just found a bug...
When using 'Contacts' as the landing page via Settings....and when you first open the app(as the landing page), the 'Contact' list does not scroll down(vertical scroll). The individual contacts are also not selectable (to expand info or call). So the 'Contact' landing page is dead so-to-speak.

However when you flip horizontally to the 'New Contact' page and then back to 'Contacts' ...the Contact list will scroll. A phone soft reboot did not correct the issue and I didn't want to test if an app reinstall would correct it since I'd lose my contact list.

Not a huge issue since there is a workaround but it is annoying. But I also imagine it's likely an easy fix at some future point.

Last edited:

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Good idea.

Just found a bug...
When using 'Contacts' as the landing page via Settings....and when you first open the app(as the landing page), the 'Contact' list does not scroll down(vertical scroll). The individual contacts are also not selectable (to expand info or call). So the 'Contact' landing page is dead so-to-speak.

However when you flip horizontally to the 'New Contact' page and then back to 'Contacts' ...the Contact list will scroll. A phone soft reboot did not correct the issue and I didn't want to test if an app reinstall would correct it since I'd lose my contact list.

Not a huge issue since there is a workaround but it is annoying. But I also imagine it's likely an easy fix at some future point.

I noticed this bug yesterday and fixed it as part of the submission of version 1.4 with the SkyDrive feature :smile: so the fix will be available in a few days.

As you said there is a workaround but I think you probably should get back to setting up the landing page to be the new contact (less scrolling)

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm also looking for ideas for more apps, so if you have any I will be happy to get some ideas (I promise that the app will be free :smile:)

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Temp Contacts 1.4 - Save temporary contacts locally on your phone

The new version (1.4) is now online in the store with SkyDrive export import support as well as several bug fixes and other minor tweaks.

Get it while it's hot :smile:

Also, I would like to hear what do you think on the current implementation of the SkyDrive support and if there are some improvements you would like to get in this scenario.

I would like to stress in advance that automatic backup to SkyDrive might not be possible using the tools I'm using (which require user consent to open a session), so I don't know if I will be able to implement such a requirement.

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Excellent update. I like the way you implemented Skydrive backup and the way I can choose the path for the backup.

One minor negative (and I think this was already there before the update) has to do with the default contact pictures. No problem with the image you used (I actually like it), but when I choose to hide my temp contacts in the people hub, the contact pictures still show up on the live tile. This doesn't happen with the other contacts I've hidden (Facebook, Twitter).

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site

I gotta say, I'm one happy camper with this update. The contact list scrolls as a landing page and the contact info now backs up to Skydrive. That certainly fills my request list :) Can't think of anything else at the moment for improvements. The manual Skydrive backup is just fine as the user usually knows when they might lose info from a manual hard reset. And the surprise freeze is very infrequent (haven't had one yet) I think. So an occasional refresh of the backup done manually is good enough for me at this time.

Just want to thank you for following thru with the fixes and updates in such a timely manner. It's nice to have a developer take pride in thier app(s) and want to have the best user experience possible...so thanks!

raananan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Excellent update. I like the way you implemented Skydrive backup and the way I can choose the path for the backup.

One minor negative (and I think this was already there before the update) has to do with the default contact pictures. No problem with the image you used (I actually like it), but when I choose to hide my temp contacts in the people hub, the contact pictures still show up on the live tile. This doesn't happen with the other contacts I've hidden (Facebook, Twitter).

This sounds like a bug in windows phone. I don't have control over what is shown in the live tile of the people hub.
The only workaround I can give is a way for you to configure my application not to set the display image. Sorry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12