Pocket File Manager. The only real manager with full access to photos, video and SD Card! + 6 Clouds

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
We will release 8.1 version even without MS help. Consumers of course will lost some functionality in it:

1. No more audio player. Microsoft removed support for background audio players in Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications! What a clever decision!
2. You won't be able to see hidden folders
3. You won't be able to hide files and folders
4. Integrated PDF viewer will be removed.
5. Could be a few other things, not discovered yet.

But you will have access to any folders, including all in phone memory.

So I think to make an poll to check do you guys and girls need it :)

(When MS will fix their permission problem, an 8.0 version of PFM also will get access to folders in phone memory).

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Believe me. September a few phones, the rest at the end of the year. Microsoft would not be MS if not screwed a few things :)

lol ! But MS has already released the preview, and has RTMed it, so its up to nokia and carriers (not for me, we dont have carrier power in India) now. Also, they declared that it'll be out by end of summer for all.

Btw sorry for going off-topic, what the point was that pocket file manager has been a nice solution for many things I've wanted to do, and it'd be great to have a 8.1 version soon ! :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
We will release 8.1 version even without MS help. Consumers of course will lost some functionality in it:

1. No more audio player. Microsoft removed support for background audio players in Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight applications! What a clever decision!
2. You won't be able to see hidden folders
3. You won't be able to hide files and folders
4. Integrated PDF viewer will be removed.
5. Could be a few other things, not discovered yet.

But you will have access to any folders, including all in phone memory.

So I think to make an poll to check do you guys and girls need it :)

(When MS will fix their permission problem, an 8.0 version of PFM also will get access to folders in phone memory).

1) yes, very clever and idiotic ! Anyway, its fine, we'll manage with some other one
2) bad ! So we wont be able to reset sd card by deleting the wpsettings.dat file ?
3) maybe add a way to simply hide files when viewed through pfm ? You wont have to edit the,file, just to save that that file is not to be displayed through pfm. It would do half the job.
4) again bad ! So if i recieve pdfs via email or Bluetooth, i wont be able to save them because adobe reader does not export to sd, i used pfm for that always !

Still, It'd be great to have it, for all the other features :)

Oh and ray, what would happen if i run the 8.0 version on 8.1 ? Would i have access to the music player, pdf, hiding files etc ? Or would that version be affected too ?

Edit:
Okay, I'll post there now, on the beta thread.

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
1) yes, very clever and idiotic ! Anyway, its fine, we'll manage with some other one
Indeed. MS stated that Audio player is only available for Windows Phone RunTime application. But trhere is no way PFM could be converted to it. We have to write EVRYTHING from scratch. All our libraries, all thrid party libraries. So this is just impossible now :) And Windows Phone RunTime application have even more restrictions than apps in WP 8.0 :)
4) again bad ! So if i recieve pdfs via email or Bluetooth, i wont be able to save them because adobe reader does not export to sd, i used pfm for that always !
No. You still will be able to receive PDF in PFM, but preview it inside. PDF will be opened in Adobe or MS reader instead.

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Indeed. MS stated that Audio player is only available for Windows Phone RunTime application. But trhere is no way PFM could be converted to it. We have to write EVRYTHING from scratch. All our libraries, all thrid party libraries. So this is just impossible now :) And Windows Phone RunTime application have even more restrictions than apps in WP 8.0 :)

One step forward, two steps back :)
No. You still will be able to receive PDF in PFM, but preview it inside. PDF will be opened in Adobe or MS reader instead.
THats good, so it would still register itself to open pdf files and would then save them in its local storage and open it with adobe ? Good, at least i didn't lose functionality..

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

PFM was the only app that allowed users to move through the music by a seek bar. (very useful for podcasts)
Well, does that ability (to move to specific second of music) available in 8.1 APIs? (May I hope such music apps appear?)

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
PFM was the only app that allowed users to move through the music by a seek bar. (very useful for podcasts)
Well, does that ability (to move to specific second of music) available in 8.1 APIs? (May I hope such music apps appear?)

As I said Microsoft removed audio playing ability for WP8.1 Silverlight apps.
AudioPlayerAgent Class (Microsoft.Phone.BackgroundAudio)

Silverlight apps are all apps were made for Windows Phone 8.0 and converted to Windows Phone 8.1.
Windows phone RT (or Windows Phone Store) apps, are new universal (W8+WP8) apps that Microsoft wants us to produce. But this is totally different technology so you cannot just convert all your code from WP8.0 to RT 8.1. Mostly times you need to rewrite it.

pluizebol

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I bought PFM and I am really disappointed because I have only access to media files (pictures & videos).

Not having access to Documents, Music, Downloads, Ringtones, ... makes it completely useless.

May I ask why "Pocket Explorer" is able to show ALL these files and why "Pocket File Manager" isn't ?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Both of the 'file managers' available on WP 8.1 are just exactly the same as hooking your phone up using the USB cable to a PC. Same file access. Thumbs up to the developers, but anyone expecting 'root' file access, will be waiting a long time.....

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I bought PFM and I am really disappointed because I have only access to media files (pictures & videos).

Not having access to Documents, Music, Downloads, Ringtones, ... makes it completely useless.

May I ask why "Pocket Explorer" is able to show ALL these files and why "Pocket File Manager" isn't ?

actually, you bought the 8.0 version. Its an amazing version, considering the fact that in 8.0, no app could even access sd card correctly, leave alone phone memory. But MS gave permission to PFM to access sd card. Not phone memory.
In 8.1, there's a new way for devs to access the sd card as well as internal memory, but with lesser amount of control and access. That's what you expected. Sadly, you bought the 8.0 version. The 8.1 version would be out in 2-3 days maybe, its submitted, and it CAN access the internal memory as well as all documents etc, which is what you wanted. Remember, in 8.0 even sd card access was a very big thing, but in 8.1 it is not. PFM for 8.1 would be able to do whatever you want. Better than others.
Do check it out in a day or two :)

Saksham Sharma

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
@Saksham Sharma

I have version 4.3.4.0
In the store it is mentioned to be compatible with 8.0 & 8.1

actually, it was made for 8.0, with all the APIs for 8.0, so it cant take advantage of the new features of 8.1, though it can run on it. Ray Adams (the dev) published the only 8.1 version (which allows access to phone memory, documents etc) yesterday, it should be on the store soon. It has gone through private beta too. When it comes out, try its trial and see for yourself. You can buy it then :)

pluizebol

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
actually, it was made for 8.0, with all the APIs for 8.0, so it cant take advantage of the new features of 8.1, though it can run on it. Ray Adams (the dev) published the only 8.1 version (which allows access to phone memory, documents etc) yesterday, it should be on the store soon. It has gone through private beta too. When it comes out, try its trial and see for yourself. You can buy it then :)

Hi
Thank you so much for your help !
Version 5.0.1.0 was in the store this morning.
I installed it and it is really great. This is one hell of a file manager :smile:

rpkay

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
After new update file opening takes more time, especially picture folders. Everything else works fine and also a nice addition of multiple file sharing 👍

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb