[App] Digital Audio Book - audiobook player WP8

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
It is more of a stabilization version, fixed many bugs, new features added is not very much.

Version 1.0.2.3
New features:
  1. The new setting "invert the behavior of standard rewind buttons". When configuring a single tap will result in rewinding the track, long tap to switch to the next/previous track. As a rewind time will be used a configure "player rewind in seconds"
  2. The new setting "use bookmarks in the management system controls". When you switch tracks or rewound by using system components or with headsets will use bookmarks the last positions.
  3. In the library context menu items added "mark as listened" and "mark as not listened", is not active at the moment play this book.
Fixed:
  1. Error: Animation target not specified.
  2. Error processing when the user refused to enter credentials SkyDrive.
  3. More intuitive for the user handles the error when the application cannot determine the length of a file, for example, the file is corrupted or was in the process of transferring a file or program, provided that is not a media file (for example replace the extension).
  4. Removing a book from the library, sometimes calling a deletion via the context menu does not work.
  5. If you go to the downloads page in SkyDrive, go back to the library, then back to the downloads page to SkyDrive (the list is populated with data of the previous call), switch to selection mode, error "Value does not fall within the expected range."
Interface:
  1. Added "settings" item in the menu, AppBar on the SkyDrive tab of download page.
New antifeatures :)
  1. Added to undernourishment by buy application, works on the number of launches. If you do not want to buy the app is your deal, simply will appear from time to time, a reminder that work in trial mode.
  2. Added to undernourishment about the need to rate the application in the store. Rating apps in the store takes into account not only the number of downloads, no falls, but the user reviews. Works on the number of launches. The reminder will not appear in the purchased applications they have already voted with their money. If you have already rate the application prior to this update, accept the apology, simply agree to give feedback and get out of the store.

p.s. Adam, thank you for your help in testing.

Peter FR

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dimitry,

Your app is great, but after the last update i run into the following problem (Lumia 925, over bluetooth): after the second track of an audiobook the player stops at the very beginning of the third track. when i try to start this track per hand it does not work. I need to start the fourth track and then i can go back to the third track and it works for the next two tracks. Do you have any idea what went wrong or any solution for this problem? Could it be a problem regarding the new Nokia patch?

Thank you very much in advance,

Peter

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
If this is the problem, I think, the problem is more likely to occur when playing via bluetooth. I am struggling with it since the very first version and met her on other players, such as Audiobook Reader.
The symptoms of such track starts playing, and then stops at the control with the headset is not responding, to the control program does not respond, helps only turn off Digital Audio Book and most importantly turn off bluetooth headsets. Following reconnection everything works as usual.
Yet sometimes helps, restarting play from the headset, wait 10 seconds and press play, but there are cases when this does not help.

I installed the debug version of the Digital Audio Book, constantly logging, as the player itself, and the background process and error does not occur, simply magic stops playing and all.
In the latest version I redid a background player for playback, this reduced the number of stops, now they occur much less frequently, but still remained.

It is suspected that the problem of the same series as in this thread http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/218251-bluetooth-issues-windows-phone-8-a.html

Peter FR

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I have tested this out and indeed it seems to be a bluetooth problem. It seems to be a frustrating wp 8 bug... Thank you for the fast reply!

argumon

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a dumb question, but right I don't use WP and do some research if it would make sense for me to switch:
can't I just put my audiobooks onto the SD card? One folder for every book and an image file for the cover? This is how Android audio book players work, is this also possible with WP?

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Maybe a dumb question, but right I don't use WP and do some research if it would make sense for me to switch:
can't I just put my audiobooks onto the SD card? One folder for every book and an image file for the cover? This is how Android audio book players work, is this also possible with WP?

Technically I can read audio files from SD card, but there is no way to recover the last position. It is unacceptable to audio books to audiobooks should be bookmarked, but when working with the SD card I can not do that yet. Just yet ;)
Since the question quite frequently, the more reasons I described in my blog, but it is in Russian.
If the machine will automatic translation, here's the link to the original - Why Digital Audio Book now cannot play files from a memory card| nab0y

Jan Andersson

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dimitry,

Like the others posting here I too think your app is really nice and defenitely something WP needed! I have bought it to support your work and when I started to use it I found a few issues which I will mention here:

1/
When using a wired headset the playing suddenly stops. In those situations it is not possible to restart it by using the button on the headset, instead I have to tap the play button on the screen. The problem seems similar to what Peter has experienced though it is easier to restart playing in my case.

2/
When using the local server to download mp3 files our Swedish charachters ??? and ??? do not show correct.

3/
I get the feeling that the app consumes a lot of battery. I say "get the feeling" because I am not 100% it is your app which drains the battery, but I have tried disabling as much background processes as possible and when I compare with another Audiobook player I use the difference is significant.

Jan

Last edited:

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jan

1. As I've said before, this issue is very old. Interestingly, such behaviour I've seen even a standard player Music + Video Hub. I have some ideas, I will try to implement in the next update.

2. As I realized the problem occurs when the local server reads the ID3 tags of files and populates the chapters of the book names, right? If so, can you give me some files that have spotted problems for testing, for example through SkyDrive. As if not difficult file meta descriptions of book .dab extention.

3. I'm not doing anything-would not have done such as a standard player. The system is disigned so that when the player in the background, even if I made a mistake somewhere (and I'm not do mistake:)), then after 30 seconds, my code is not executed at all, only the operating system is running. The only exception is when sleep timer is activated, the host continues to work to provide a timer job.

Jan Andersson

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Dmitry,

Thank you for your reply.

1/
I thought that behavior was related to using Bluetooth headsets, but that wasn't the case?

2/
I will try to find a file with an ID3 tag containing such letters.

3/
Still it is a strange thing I see. I will try to have a closer look into what happens (or not)

WilsonSmith

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Good idea, may be I will go with this way. I completely agree with the digital audio books concept as they are simple and convenient player audiobooks

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
New version is available. I done restore position when playing from the SD card. But now only for mp3.

Version 1.1.2.6
New features:
- Music + Video hub integration. The integration is performed at the level of the books, not individual chapters or files.
- New settings section "troubleshooting", new "pause when switching chapters" setting. This option solves the problem when switching between the chapters of the book, the player stops playing.
- Playback from SD card with the possibility of restoring the last playback position and full support for bookmarks. Only supports mp3 files (files with variable bitrate are not supported). To add a book to the library file you want to change the extension to .dabm. As the arts, books and chapters are used images from tag files themselves, to fill the names and descriptions of the books also use tags data.
Fixed:
- Error "Animation target not specified" on the downloads page when downloading files.
- Error "This ApplicationBarBehavior element can only be attached to the Page or LayoutRoot element"
Interface:
- Added tab "sd card" on the downloads page for support book playback functionality from SD card.
- Fixed English localization. I express my great gratitude to Vadym Kovalchuk for his work on the English localization.
- Fixed Ukrainian localization. I express my great gratitude to S. Bilonozhko for work done over the Ukrainian localization and correction of my Russian :)

Also updated the Digital Audio Book Server for ease of prepare books for the SD card. Available on SkyDrive https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

Last edited:

Oberon70

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have been using your app for the last few months and love it. I love the option of the local server. It took me awhile to get it to work, but once it did it was great. The problem is after about a month I want to load some new books.

I started up the server using the address 192.168.1.2:8888/rss.xml - I can see the rss through Firefox and Chrome, but the app keeps telling me to check my wifi and it is working. I can load up IE on my phone and the rss.xml will load up:( - so I have no clue to why I can't get it to connect in the app.

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Good time of day!

Please check the address on the device. Part of the address http:// is obligatory for filling.
The address that shows the server must exactly match the address on the device.

dowloadfromserver03_en.png

And that works in a browser, if there http:// part is missing, the browser automatically substitutes the value.

Pia Magnusson

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I think this is the best app for audiobooks on Windows Phone so far, but now I have the same problem. I can no longer connect to my local server via wifi. I have transferred 4 books so far via wifi without any problems, but today it just said I should check my wifi or data connection and that the local server is started. I have updated both the server on the computer and the app in the phone. My wifi works fine so I think there must be something wrong with the app.

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
In the latest update this part of the program has not been changed
Try the local server, change the name to the IP address.

11-09-2013 21-35-53.png

p.s. Your IP address is probably different from mine.

Jan Andersson

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Since you fixed "New settings section "troubleshooting", new "pause when switching chapters" setting. This option solves the problem when switching between the chapters of the book, the player stops playing." I no longer see unexpected stops when playing. Thanks for that!

However there is another thing I see which puzzles me: The preview/backward/next/forward buttons all have been disabled/grayed out. If I want to jump backwards I have to lock and unlock the display in order to use WP's built in rewind buttons. Any thoughts about this?

Dmitry Naboychenko

May 26, 2013
Visit site
However there is another thing I see which puzzles me: The preview/backward/next/forward buttons all have been disabled/grayed out. If I want to jump backwards I have to lock and unlock the display in order to use WP's built in rewind buttons. Any thoughts about this?

And Lock/Unlock button on AppBar not help?

lockUnlock.png

Thenks for sample mp3 file.

Jan Andersson

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh dear! Of course Unlock works! I have never given that button a single thought, hehe! I must have pressed it without knowing and so locked the controls... What is the purpose of it btw? Preventing involuntary scroll/jump? I would have thought that by putting the App in background and/or locking the display would have been enough :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05