[ Starship Racers ]new 3d racing game

PixelFantome

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I just released my first game : Starship Racers, a futuristic racing game with weapons and upgrades for the vehicles.
you can find it here, there is a free demo

visuel_starship_racers.jpg

Several differents tracks, 6 differents racers, you can fire at ennemies, launch missiles, drop mines, activate shield and boost..
If you have the opportunity to test it, feed back is welcome.

You can also check the facebook page here

And here is the QR code:

qrcode_starship_racers.jpg

Meanwhile we are working on the multiplayer, and a few upgrades

Have a nice day :)

Last edited:

PixelFantome

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Did anyone try it? I wish i could have some more feedback.
Anyway, an update is coming soon, with new graphics for the driving and menu.

Have a nice day :)

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is one of my favorite racing genres so Starship Racers has me interested. The game has a lot of potential, but honestly, it needs a lot of work. I don't mean to be critical, but I just want to point out the issues I saw and offer some advice.

The races run too long, so the experience feels tedious, especially since there isn't a whole lot going on. It wasn't clear what lap I was on; the HUD was saying one thing, the track sign said another, and I'm pretty sure the race ended on lap 4 of 5. When the race ended I was just dumped onto a results screen with no indication the race was over, that I had one or anything.

I can't really speak to the AI and it's quality. They didn't seem to pose much of a challenge and mostly appeared to be shooting at random. I never really felt like I was racing them, they were just there.

Maybe the option exists and I missed it, but I suggest a third person view. If anything, for this kind of game I think it should be the default. There should also be a position indicator, and some kind of warning when an enemy is right behind you so that you know when to take evasive maneuvers. Targeting also need to be improved, I could never tell when my weapons were lined up with the enemy, nor if a hit connected.

From an aesthetic standpoint I think the ships should look like they're floating above the track instead of skating along like they're on ice. I recommend giving your vehicles more mass. Currently they look like flat boards, so they're not very interesting to look at. When firing a weapon it looks like the beams will fly right over those ships. Look at WipeOut. Maybe it changes on other courses, but I think the edges of the tracks feature hard barriers. If you're going to do the half-pipe approach then your vehicle shouldn't slow down if you go up the sides. Look at Stun Runner for an old school example of this kind of gameplay If it does slow down your vehicle there should be obvious indications on the course where it happens, like the odd road patches in F-Zero.

I also suggest looking at Repulze for iOS. That game was released last year and they did a great job with it. I'm not suggesting you copy these guys at all, but do the research. These games all do things right in their own unique way. Part of what makes those games fun is the drama, the way the ships move, the excitement of trying to pass a competitor, of shooting and being shot at.

It's the small details that enhance the experience. Take WipeOut HD, look at how the camera pans around the ships at the start of the race, the way they hover, the glow of the jet engines, stuff like that. It's a ton of work, but all these things need to come together for a game to really work.

PixelFantome

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the feedback uselessrobot... seems that we still have plenty of work to do :(
but this should help improve the quality
The next update should be here soon, so the button for the third person view should be more obvious ;)

PixelFantome

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Starship Racers V1.1.1.0 submitted, should be available soon.
The changes are :
-shorter races
-2nd demo track added ( you have to finish the first one to unlock it )
-new stats menu
-new config menu
-new graphics for the controls
-now indicates your current ranking during the game
-corrected bug in the stats menu
-add a random bonus when race is over

Now working on the next update, with new behaviors for the vehicles ( trying to make them not look like flat boards anymore :wink: )
also new tracks with new graphics, among a few others things :)

Last edited:

PixelFantome

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
The update is online, next big update will focuse on textures and new tracks, here is a screenshot of the work in progress :

starship_racers_update.jpg

still working on the driving improvement and vehicle behavior and the multiplayer as well, but it's not that easy :(

Anyway, all comments are welcome, and for those who tried the game previously, there is a new track added in the new demo version :)

Wazzim

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I'm not really an active poster on WPcentral *cough* first post *cough* but just wanted to give my 2 cents.

Just like uselessrobot these kind of racing games are my favorite kind.
I'm happy that you 2 took on the challenge of making such a game for WP. Now the pros and improvement points:

Pro:
-Framerate, really smooth (60fps). Not only adds to the visual experience but to the controls too.
-UI. I used to make a lot of small games myself and I have to say that the ingame UI is pretty neat looking. Although the weapon part confused me at first.
-Overall track design concept, no hard walls is a plus.

Improvement points:
-AI collision is messy, can be solved by either making the tracks wider or spacing the AI out from eachother.
-Speed. I only tried the 2 demo tracks for now so may be misinformed about the full game but a mode with higher speeds would be interesting.
-Time trials may be a good idea. Adds an extra mode and setting up an online ranking is less work than implementing live-multiplayer.

As I said, I used to make little games myself and know how hard it is to do stuff like physics right but it's a cool game with potential.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
hey man, just tried the demo version for the first time. Great game so far! Glad to see you are using feedback from the fans/players and making frequent updates, I always love when developers continue to improve their apps, makes me value using their product even more! Keep up the good work, I think this game has potential, I had fun with the first free trial level

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
The game is really good, thanks.

Things that needs to improve:

- I think a third person camera for default will be better.
- Wider tracks
- Some "helpers" on the floor, like arrows for going faster if you pass over them
- The curves need to be more wider
- Higher speed, with better control

PixelFantome

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
thanks Wazzim, odoggyfresh and Xpider_MX for your comments.
we are still focusing on the new textures and the vehicle maniability, but we should be able to add some "helpers" on the floor and reduce the collision problem for the next update.
Higher speed may be a problem, but that's something we are thinking about.
and about the size of the tracks, it s also something we are considering, but that's going to take quite some time :(

I'll post new screenshots of the new textures soon

PixelFantome

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

There is a new update with new physics for the vehicle, so if anyone has the opportunity to test it and leave comments, that would be nice.
Working on the next one with the new graphics, it should be submitted by the end of the week.
I made a video of the work in progress, you can watch it here.

Have a nice day

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99